Gary Thorne's Mispronunciations

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
West Seneca, NY
Not Gary Thorne, but the PA announcer always says Johann Hecht instead of Jochen. Same announcer always butchers Gragnani's name where it kinda comes out as Granny.

I haven't had the announcers on in a while so I forget how badly he butchers the Sabres names, but I'll play a couple with them on and get back to you. I think the Sabres have gotten rid of the worst offenders though: Kotalik, Tallinder, Lydman...

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I changed my name to Macho Madness one time (before his death may he RIP) and I saw that "Macho" was in the list of names that the announcers could say. I was ecstatic. Started up a game and what do I hear? "Mako" instead of "Macho". I couldn't believe it.:shakehead

Findish. Easy name not included. Zbynek Michalek. WRONG. The call him Zebinek Mickalek.

Theeze0504

Aug 18, 2005
Cristobal Huet looked into his crystall ball and what did he see? A whole bunch of saves early in the game.

And...

He's the intimidator, the terminator.

I'm gllad I skipped out on NHL11 at least it will feel semi-fresh with winnipeg and the minor tweaks in, not to mention roster updates.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I always found the slight mispronounces funny. In OTP he says Krejci as "Kritchy", in a sort of Australian accent. .

Gibbs18

Apr 28, 2011
Elmer, NJ
Has anyone ever heard the one where he says...

"*Players name* star staturs will not be forgotten here tonight"

or something like that near the end of the game. He sounds like he puts and "r" in status.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Not really mispronunciation but the Niagara Ice Dogs are spelled Niagra. Noticed that for the first time yesterday....

KC91

Jan 3, 2009
A funny one is Benoit of the Sens, they must not have his name template in the game, so he calls him "Bergfors"

Ryanf1193

Dec 17, 2012
Paris, ON
Rinne - rye-nee
Stamkos - stom-kos
Stepan - ste-pon
Wiercioch - wer-chi-och
Pietrangelo - peter-angelo

im pretty sure this is the worst one in the game though...
Mackenzie - Malone

Last edited:

JuicyJ*

It's funny because some mistakes he'll only say once then it'll be correct

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Noesen = No-sin

Puempel = Poo-em-pull

Gryba = Gree-ba

Methot = Methoe (He mentioned this to them on twitter, they might have fixed it)

Stamkos = Stamko

I hate the announcers so much

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013
A funny one is Benoit of the Sens, they must not have his name template in the game, so he calls him "Bergfors"

He does the same with WHL player Erik Benoit.

I've also noticed that he also gets a few Hitmen players wrong. Brady Brassart (BRA-sert) becomes Bruh-SART, Brooks Macek (MAY-sik) becomes MAH-check, and Chris Driedger (DREE-ger) becomes DRY-de-ger.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
gi-ROW in reference to Giroux

Powie in reference to Darroll Powe

And Peter Forsberg once told me that Simon Gagne was the purest sniper he's ever played with.

I'm a Flyers fan and even I'm kind of tired of Bill. Want to go back to 06 with Hughson, or even better someone else entirely. As long as its not Doc. No Doc.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
There's a lot of annoying one's for the NHL players, but they actually don't have mine either for the play by play names.

My name is Jae (pronounced Jay) Muller (pronounced Muh-ler) and they don't have the "Jay" name which surprises me because of Jay Bouwmeester. And they have "Muller" but pronounce it "Mueller." This surprises me as well because of Kirk Muller being a coach and pronouncing it the same as mine.

Claimed Off Waivers

Mar 2, 2007
Montreal
:laugh:

The first time I heard them mispronounce Semin's name I was on the floor. I think they should get some new announcers for NHL 12.

NHL 14 needs Gord Miller and this guy :yo:

tumblr_m3ey1h782s1qe1x8qo1_1280.jpg

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Whenever the Sedins are on the ice and Daniel gets the puck, instead of "Daniel Sedin" it sounds like he says "Dangle City"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad