Gary Thorne's Mispronunciations

mintsauce

Feb 4, 2005
Ontario
www.livejournal.com
And this is why he needs to go. I'm sure he and Bill Clement aren't bad people, and for NHL 08 and 09 I actually thought their commentary was an improvement over previous titles in the series, but they have outstayed their welcome.

Aside from the pronunciation issues and fluffed lines, I have honestly never heard another hockey announcer in the real world go on about "scoring chances" quite so much as Gary. He'll basically say it as many times as possible during a game, even when there isn't one or there might just be the slightest possibility of one happening.

I think it's time EA looked into hiring Doc Emrick or Pat Foley (not Jim Hughson, he's had his turn). It would just make it sound so much more like a real hockey game.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
I am not sure if it is still an issue in NHL 11 but in NHL 10 he always called Tyler Myers Mayers like Jamal Mayers.

I think they are relatively good overall for a video game, varied sayings and yeah the stuff is corny but even if it weren't it would be after playing 2000 games.

My favorite game announcer had to be the year Bill Walton did the NBA 2K series, so much potential there that they didn't utilize, too.

If I had to pick a new tandem for NHL, I'll go with a dark horse, Melrose and Buccigross. Buccigross elevates his intensity with the game's intensity like no other, Melrose could do the goofy color stuff and be funny, better than he is at his real-life job, I am sure.

KesselPhaneufTML

Jul 17, 2010
Brantford, ON
I am not sure if it is still an issue in NHL 11 but in NHL 10 he always called Tyler Myers Mayers like Jamal Mayers.

I think they are relatively good overall for a video game, varied sayings and yeah the stuff is corny but even if it weren't it would be after playing 2000 games.

My favorite game announcer had to be the year Bill Walton did the NBA 2K series, so much potential there that they didn't utilize, too.

If I had to pick a new tandem for NHL, I'll go with a dark horse, Melrose and Buccigross. Buccigross elevates his intensity with the game's intensity like no other, Melrose could do the goofy color stuff and be funny, better than he is at his real-life job, I am sure.

I haven't heard this one, i'm pretty sure they fixed it.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
PK Subban - Subbon
Max Pacioretty - Pakoretty

the pakoretty one kills me

but the worst is desharnais. EA messed up something because he'll randomly pronounce it one of two ways: either as "de-shar-nay" or "du-shirn-nin"

what's this i don't even

FamousTee

Feels Good Man.
May 3, 2011
Halifax, NS
the pakoretty one kills me

but the worst is desharnais. EA messed up something because he'll randomly pronounce it one of two ways: either as "de-shar-nay" or "du-shirn-nin"

what's this i don't even
I've heard him pronounce Desharnais 3 different ways. Including the correct way. I was just thinking "call him one thing and one thing only, not three different things in the same game"

Dragon Priest

Elvenlegions
Nov 8, 2007
Metalheaven
Can't remember in which game, may have been NHL 2008 when it was Jim Hughson, but more than likely NHL 2009, Cam Ward was Antero Nittymaki. He'd go "Save by Nittymaki" when it was Cam Ward!!

Some of them are just brutal. An-TROP-ov is the worst IMO.

Also, if Gary Thorne calls hockey games and supposedly KNOWS hockey, he should know how to pronounce the players names correctly. Don't you think?

Dragon Priest

Elvenlegions
Nov 8, 2007
Metalheaven
Oh and when the Penguins beat the Flyers, Gary goes "And the two time Stanley Cup winning Pittsburgh Penguins....." And Clement adds in something like, "Well that is how many Cups the Flyers have won, 2"
Last time I checked the Penguins have won 3 Stanley Cups!!

mintsauce

Feb 4, 2005
Ontario
www.livejournal.com
Niklas Hjalmarsson - Niklas Almarsson

This is one that most announcers actually get wrong. They tend to pronounce it "Jahl-merson", when the J is actually silent or more of a Y sound. It should be "Hyahl-merson".

I've even heard one announcer say "Yahl-mul-son". I forget who it was but it sounded like he had a mouth full of marbles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad