Gary Thorne's Mispronunciations

atl thrasher344

Believe in Blueland
Nov 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Pever-lay instead of Peverley. Tore-burn instead of Thor-burn. Slatt-er instead of Slate-r. Burm-a-strov instead of Burm-e-strov. Bogo-se-an instead of Bogo-zhun.

That's just from the Thrashers! :rant:

Last edited:

Hymanbrah

Goin' In
Apr 8, 2007
I'll never understand why they don't correct him on these. The audio director should know what names he's said wrong and get him to do it over. They're paying him for this after all. As for a new crew, I think they should find their own people. Get real voice actors who sound great, will be cheaper, and can be in the studio far more often. The NFL 2K guys did this and it worked out well.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I turned the announcers off to save my sanity, and I don't plan to revert until EA brings in someone different

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
He'll call Anze Kopitar by his correct name in game...

but if you make a player named Kopitar on EASHL... He'll call him "Cop-A-Tar"

:help:

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007
This is one that most announcers actually get wrong. They tend to pronounce it "Jahl-merson", when the J is actually silent or more of a Y sound. It should be "Hyahl-merson".

I've even heard one announcer say "Yahl-mul-son". I forget who it was but it sounded like he had a mouth full of marbles.

The H is the letter that is silent. The correct pronounciation would be something like "Jall-mar-son"

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They should just hire Bob Cole for the next one. All of the errors would add authenticity rather than detract from it. And when in doubt, the game could just default to calling everyone Gomez.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Lots of Finnish names are pronounced horribly, also some Swedish names are butchered, especially the ones ending with -berg.
There are a lot of names that are pronounced passably or evel well, but some are just outright horrendous.

And yes, I'm being serious - I hate the way North Americans pronounce Finnish names :cry: List of some Finnish hockey players and their names being pronounced (audio)

It's really hard to pronounce the Finnish names right, they cannot do it on real broadcasts, so maybe it's not necessary to have them corrected in the game.

TheMuumio

Nov 26, 2009
It's really hard to pronounce the Finnish names right, they cannot do it on real broadcasts, so maybe it's not necessary to have them corrected in the game.

Well TBH honest my post was to meant to be more of a rant on the pronounciation on TV etc. but felt I could moan about it in this topic.

As I said big part of the names are pronounced well enough, but some are done outright horribly. If the name is even somewhere near how it's supposed to be pronounced I don't care, but some names are butchered quite badly and thus sound horrible.

justman

Jun 22, 2011
I changed my name to Macho Madness one time (before his death may he RIP) and I saw that "Macho" was in the list of names that the announcers could say. I was ecstatic. Started up a game and what do I hear? "Mako" instead of "Macho". I couldn't believe it.:shakehead

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
i think they have the leave semin the way it is just because its funny. some others i noticed are ryan johannson is pronounced with the j, but gary thorne thinks its silent. Also, luke adam is always called adams. No big deal but still incorrect.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
I'm sure its been mentioned already but an-TROP-ov is the worst one. He also doesn't say Mike Mottau's name right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad