Speculation: Garrioch: Braun on the block; Sharks looking for top-4 D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Seto was pending UFA – irregardless, you think that was the intent of those contracts?

I doubt it was an out right sign and trade, but if you're thinking about it you definitely sign the RFA regardless. You sure Seto didn't have an RFA year in there? Regardless, on Seto, that deal was to good not to trade Seto. That contract also looked reasonable. A chicken in the roost is better than one that flies for free even.

DW has not really done to many burn trades. In general I don't think that's his MO.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
If Hamonic wants to be closer to family, which is in Winnipeg.. I don't think SJ is any closer then NY

I agree. I"m not sure why Vancouver is on his short list, though (if Dreger's list is accurate). It's 1437 miles from Winnipeg and NY is 1660. That's not that significant when you're flying. Minneapolis is only 460 miles and Chicago only 865. Edmonton is around 850. Does he have other family (or other support) in the Vancouver area or maybe thinking of moving whomever he wants to be near to BC? Having Vancouver (and not Minnesota) on the list of teams seems a bit odd if he wants to be close to Winnipeg.

That said, it's kind of like the Marleau situation (if the rumors are true). SJ is not on the top list of teams. However, since this has been going on since September (apparently), it seems like Snow hasn't been able to work out an acceptable deal with Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, or Vancouver. That doesn't mean he won't but Hamonic may expand his list of teams (probably to MN and Chicago but, if he can move the loved one to Vancouver, etc., SJ might be an acceptable destination). It's guesswork at this point.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I know you're joking here but really, Wingels would have a tough time cracking that roster. I've been a big fan of the NYI for quite a while now and their forward depth is kinda disgusting.

Yeah I agree. NYI wouldn't consider that trade, but I've been open to trading Wingels in a package for a while, and I'm hoping some team will over-value his playstyle.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I never lived in Canada, but people tell me it's cold in Winnipeg.

Like really ****ing Cold.

I've heard likewise.

Always love this one:

winnipeg-6c616d05f25a6b98b4cd4fe3ba971e47.jpg

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I never lived in Canada, but people tell me it's cold in Winnipeg.

Like really ****ing Cold.

Never been in the winter, but I'd believe the cold horror stories. The prairies are a frozen death trap come winter time.

I was there in the summer though and it was humid as **** and mosquitoes everywhere. By the end of my week there it looked like I had chicken pox what with all the marks.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Meh. From personal experience, being born and raised in an area where winters are an absolute hell (in this case, cold!) at worst, you begin to miss it when you move elsewhere.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, not seeing it either.

I wouldn't really justify the trade saying we're trying to get more offensively. For me, it's more about getting the same kind of player but younger. I don't have an issue with Braun not being offensive and I wouldn't have an issue if it was Hamonic. It's just that whoever we get as an upgrade on Tennyson better be.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wouldn't really justify the trade saying we're trying to get more offensively. For me, it's more about getting the same kind of player but younger. I don't have an issue with Braun not being offensive and I wouldn't have an issue if it was Hamonic. It's just that whoever we get as an upgrade on Tennyson better be.

I think we're on the same page for the most part, but you know for sure we'd have to add something signicant to Braun to get Hamonic due to the general underexposure Braun gets here, and that wouldn't be worth it.

Honestly, just get me an upgrade on Tennyson and I'm happy happy happy.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
"Braun doesn't have enough offense, let's trade him for Travis Hamonic!"

/Hamonic has 3 points in 19 games.

That's a pretty small sample size. Looking at career stats, Hamonic is 114/342 and Braun is 74/305. In most years, Hamonic is slightly ahead of Braun, including last year when Hamonic was 33/71 vs 23/70.

I think most ppl who think the trade would be ok are saying Braun has a slight edge defensively while Hamonic has a slight edge offensively. I don't think anyone is expecting an offensive powerhouse. I agree with PF and would do it mainly for the age difference plus, given the Sharks' D corps, I'd prefer the slight edge in offense but it's not a big consideration for me.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Frustratingly, we all know that Braun has the capability to be a decent producer on the blueline.

I can partly blame the coaching staff, as it makes no sense to have Vlasic be the risk-taker on that pairing. But, on the other side, it seems like Braun made the decision a few years ago that his best chance of having a long NHL future was to cut down on his work past the opponent's blueline.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I think we're on the same page for the most part, but you know for sure we'd have to add something signicant to Braun to get Hamonic due to the general underexposure Braun gets here, and that wouldn't be worth it.

Honestly, just get me an upgrade on Tennyson and I'm happy happy happy.

If Hamonic were interested in coming to SJ, I think Snow might be open to trading Hamonic for Braun either straight up or for a small add. He's said that he wants a top-4 D like Hamonic. Who fits that description better than Braun? Maybe Tanev but, if Tanev (or someone similar) had been offered from a team on Hamonic's list, I'd guess that Snow would have already made the trade.

Their cap hits and term are almost identical (and Braun has marginally lower cap hit). After this year, Hamonic makes $4,875,000 a year, while Braun continues to make $3.8M a year. That could be appealing to Wang and Snow.

My guess would be that the trade doesn't happen bc SJ doesn't work for Hamonic. It will be interesting to see what develops.

OrrNumber4, it seems like both Braun and Vlasic are shooting more this year. Maybe we'll see more offensive production from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad