Speculation: Garrioch: Braun on the block; Sharks looking for top-4 D

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Like Demers but at the time, it seemed like the right move .Needed an LD that could keep up with Burns and a defensive guy was probably the right move. Turns out that Dillon can't keep up with Burns which is unfortunate.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Exactly.

Demers may have turned things around (and small sample size + eye test don't suggest that is true), but he struggled mightily while in San Jose. He had injury issues, consistency issues, fitness issues, and rumored effort issues. DW and the coaching staff gave him plenty of opportunity, and he squandered it. At some point, if you want to be an organization that holds its players accountable, you have to treat players based on their play, not on their potential play.

I hdn't heard of any conditioning issues. TM and the coaching staff didn't give him nearly enough time or opportunity. They were the ones that squandered JD talent. Which you can see now in Dallas.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I always think we lost that trade. But hey that's just me.

Not just you. I hated the deal when they did it and still do. Dillon wasn't needed really as what we needed was a 2-way defenseman in addition to having Demers. Add the retained salary and the rest of the deal and it was stupid from the get-go IMO.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd trade Braun for Hamonic if available but there isn't many situations that are remotely realistic right now that would have me deal Braun.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
I'd trade Braun for Hamonic if available but there isn't many situations that are remotely realistic right now that would have me deal Braun.

I'd definitely do that. Hamonic has a bit more offensive ability than Braun. He's kind of like a Seabrook type.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Shorks have the space to take the contract on straight up. Futures and move Tennyson to 7th D.

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
Hamonic is exactly what the Sharks need: a young, 2-way, RD with top-pairing upside. But San Jose doesn't meet his requirement of being closer to home (Manitoba), and the Isles are going to be asking for a lot. I also don't like the idea of trading one top-4 D-man (i.e. Braun) for another, because it leaves the Sharks with the same hole as before.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Shorks have the space to take the contract on straight up. Futures and move Tennyson to 7th D.

They have the space until Couture comes back at which time they'd have to clear about $3.5mil off their cap.

The NYI want a good d-man (preferably RD) in return, they don't want futures.

I'd probably do Braun for Hamonic but right now it would more or less be a sideways move as they're pretty similar players, Hamonic has a bit more offense & Braun is a bit better defensively. The big difference is that Hamonic is 25 so I'd expect the NYI to ask for more in return.

It still leaves the Sharks with an issue on the bottom pairing.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Hamonic is exactly what the Sharks need: a young, 2-way, RD with top-pairing upside. But San Jose doesn't meet his requirement of being closer to home (Manitoba), and the Isles are going to be asking for a lot. I also don't like the idea of trading one top-4 D-man (i.e. Braun) for another, because it leaves the Sharks with the same hole as before.

I agree. I think the main problem from the Sharks' POV is that, given that the Isles are mostly interested in a replacement (per reports), it would mostly be a sideways move. (That's true for any team involved if the Isles trade for a replacement: Why do it?) From Hamonic's POV, the Sharks are, at best, in his 2nd tier of teams. If the Isles can't find a suitable deal in T1, maybe it works out. But, e.g., Tanev (who is also 25) could work, as could D-men in Winnepeg, Minnesota (closer to Winnepeg than SJ), maybe Calgary, etc.

The cap hits and term for Braun and Hamonic are almost identical so that part would be easy for both teams. (Braun: 3.8M thru 19-20, Hamonic: 3,857,143 thru 19-20) As sr228 said, the Isles might want more from the Sharks bc of the age difference. I'd guess it comes down to whether the Isles can work something out with Hamonic's preferred teams (list per Dreger on twitter: Winnepeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, maybe other western cities if those don't work).

I'd probably do it if the Isles don't ask for much more than Braun.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I hdn't heard of any conditioning issues. TM and the coaching staff didn't give him nearly enough time or opportunity. They were the ones that squandered JD talent. Which you can see now in Dallas.

He had plenty of time and opportunities. He's the same player in Dallas as he was in S.J.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
But it adds more offense to an offensively starved Sharks blue line. I'd do this deal in a heartbeat, but I doubt NYI does. Doug Wilson should be able to fix that hole without trading away a top-4 defenseman. Although I don't think Dillon - Tennyson necessarily needs fixing, especially if we got a guy like Hamonic.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I agree that Harmonic would be great in Teal. Not sure i'd move any of or top 4 or 5 D at this point, Dillon has been much better as my POV. Dillon and Harmonic would be a decent pairing, what side does Harmonic play? He'll be expensive and we don't have assets (perhaps a bottom 6 player, e.g. smith which is not enough) or picks i'd wanna move and sounds like he'd prefer further north!

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I agree that Harmonic would be great in Teal. Not sure i'd move any of or top 4 or 5 D at this point, Dillon has been much better as my POV. Dillon and Harmonic would be a decent pairing, what side does Harmonic play? He'll be expensive and we don't have assets (perhaps a bottom 6 player, e.g. smith which is not enough) or picks i'd wanna move and sounds like he'd prefer further north!

Snow wants a top-4 D back. That's part of the problem. If he wanted Fs, Edmonton would be the ideal partner for NYI probably.

I think Hamonic would prefer Western Canada partly bc of customs and partly bc their schedule might make it easier to get back to Winnepeg if he needed to ASAP.

Here's part of an article about the situation:

"The sources indicated Snow has talked with numerous teams about a deal but finding a match has been extremely difficult. "They're not just going to give him away," one source said, adding that Snow is seeking a commensurate return -- an established top-four defenseman, not prospects and/or draft picks. "He's their best defenseman.""

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...974?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Another article:

“The problem with them trading Travis Hamonic,” one exec said, “is they want… Travis Hamonic.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-york-islanders-trying-to-trade-hamonic/

This has been going on since the pre-season but was just leaked today.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Dillon can technically be a RD and was top-4 caliber before this season, right? Wingels + Dillon for Hamonic please. :naughty:

I know you're joking here but really, Wingels would have a tough time cracking that roster. I've been a big fan of the NYI for quite a while now and their forward depth is kinda disgusting.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
If he wants to be close to home like Brian Campbell I could see Doug calling. If he actually wants to be close to home no way would he want to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad