Rumor: Garrioch - Anaheim Ducks to be extremely active this deadline

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don’t like any of those trades. And I’m not sure why #4 and 5 is even posted. Those do nothing for the Ducks.

#4 isn't bad for the Ducks. Lauzon is an NHL ready D prospect who projects to be a solid, physical shutdown guy. That's no worse than getting a couple mid round picks for those two rentals, and I'd hope we could turn around and sign Grant back this summer.

Lauzon is likely ahead of any of our current D prospects in terms of being ready to step in and play some steady minutes. Your rebuttal will be that you think this draft is amazing and that mid round picks are better than prospects that other teams are willing to part with, but the fact is that even in the strongest of drafts, the mid round picks we could obtain for our rental players would statistically have a very low chance of reaching the point Lauzon is at now.

Reactions: Getz2noone

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I really can't see Ottawa going for it. Maybe if they trade for another 1st, but if they really want a goalie, they will wait to see where these 1st land and trade one at the draft (or just draft Askarov, who is a much better fit age-wise).

They have 2 great 1st right now, no way they take that risk. If they both land in the top-3, or if San Jose land in the top-3, Ottawa's 1st will probably be top-5. I know Gibson is good, but that's the kind of trade that you do if you think you are 1 great goalie from the playoff, and Ottawa aren't.

That post is sarcastic. We didn’t just sign Gibson last off season for 8 years on a team friendly deal just to ship em off at the next trade deadline. Gibson isn’t going anywhere.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
#4 isn't bad for the Ducks. Lauzon is an NHL ready D prospect who projects to be a solid, physical shutdown guy. That's no worse than getting a couple mid round picks for those two rentals, and I'd hope we could turn around and sign Grant back this summer.

Lauzon is likely ahead of any of our current D prospects in terms of being ready to step in and play some steady minutes. Your rebuttal will be that you think this draft is amazing and that mid round picks are better than prospects that other teams are willing to part with, but the fact is that even in the strongest of drafts, the mid round picks we could obtain for our rental players would statistically have a very low chance of reaching the point Lauzon is at now.
I agree the 4th 1 was the only one that seemed mildy decent.

If we could come out with lauzon type for any combo of grant miller mdz deslauries… id call it a win tbh.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Lauzon doesn’t tickle my fancy. I can definitely see someone offering better than Lauzon for that combo. And to the number 5 trade?

Why are we trading Kase for a struggling winger on a playoff bound Calgary team? Please explain that to me. I’ll get better value elsewhere with Kase being available.

I know you didn’t mention 5. But that 5 spot is god awful

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Why would we want to replace Gibson? lol

hes 26, in his prime and signed a pretty solid long term contract... were likely goin to roll with him.

I was being sarcastic. I was adding onto the idea that we move Gibson for that atrocious package. You didn’t catch it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Lauzon doesn’t tickle my fancy. I can definitely see someone offering better than Lauzon for that combo. And to the number 5 trade?

Why are we trading Kase for a struggling winger on a playoff bound Calgary team? Please explain that to me. I’ll get better value elsewhere with Kase being available.

I mean Kase himself is a struggling winger as well but I agree that I wouldn't do that trade, as Kase has more offensive upside.

As for the other, have to remember that realistically we might not get any more than a couple 4th round picks for Miller and Grant. A physical young bottom pairing D isn't any less interesting.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I mean Kase himself is a struggling winger as well but I agree that I wouldn't do that trade, as Kase has more offensive upside.

As for the other, have to remember that realistically we might not get any more than a couple 4th round picks for Miller and Grant. A physical young bottom pairing D isn't any less interesting.

Completely agree. We also have to understand Miller has 24 teams he can say no to. And I believe it was you who made this point as well the other day. That leaves 6 teams that wouldn’t trade for em. So we’re basically locked with this dude for rest of the season. Unless he lets us trade em.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Buffalo's 1st (top 3 protected), Okposo, Middelstadt, Fitzgerald for Rakell, Kase

No.

#1 - Ottawa Trade
Gibson, Sprong for Lowest of 1st Round Picks, Logan Brown, Filip Guvstafsson

#2 - Devils Trade
Henrique, Guhle for Subban, 2nd Round Pick

#3 - Blue Jackets Trade
Rakell, Del Zotto for Anderson, 1st

#4 - Boston Trade
Lauzon for Miller, Grant

#5 - Flames Trade
Bennett for Kase

That's it. You're going to the timeout corner.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

In comparison to the other 4 trades, # 4 was probably the closest thing to a rational thought.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe a couple draft picks for Grant or Miller... or if they get really lucky maybe for one or two of Deslauriers, Del Zotto, or Holzer if a team really thinks toughness or spare defensemen are worth giving up a 6th or 7th rounder?

Not sure what else Garrioch is imaging might happen? :dunno:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Just cause Ducks will be active doesnt mean they will give away their best players for garbage.

Cmon guys

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Maybe a couple draft picks for Grant or Miller... or if they get really lucky maybe for one or two of Deslauriers, Del Zotto, or Holzer if a team really thinks toughness or spare defensemen are worth giving up a 6th or 7th rounder?

Toronto has a crap ton of 6th and 7th rounders. Curious when the Toronto fans will come in and offer something up. I’ll take a couple off their hands for some of our UFAs

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I assume it just means the ducks are prob listening on a lot of their players. Also some of those guys you listed traded for cap dumps of more than 1 year could actually bring something back.

BM at the very least will be listening to guys like Kase, Ritchie, Rakell, manson, Getz etc... not saying they will be moved.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
That post is sarcastic. We didn’t just sign Gibson last off season for 8 years on a team friendly deal just to ship em off at the next trade deadline. Gibson isn’t going anywhere.

Never said Anaheim should or shouldn't, I just said it make ZERO sense for Ottawa. They won't give a Top-5 in a good draft + a 21yo C with great numbers in the AHL + a 21yo goaltender with potential. That's just absurd to ask this package from a bottom team, even if Gibson was the best goalie in the NHL.

Weren't you the one who wanted to give about anything just to have SJ 1st? I'm surprised you would say no to this.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Never said Anaheim should or shouldn't, I just said it make ZERO sense for Ottawa. They won't give a Top-5 in a good draft + a 21yo C with great numbers in the AHL + a 21yo goaltender with potential. That's just absurd to ask this package from a bottom team, even if Gibson was the best goalie in the NHL.

Weren't you the one who wanted to give about anything just to have SJ 1st? I'm surprised you would say no to this.
Don't tempt him... he prob wants both 1sts for Gibson.

Reactions: Steeler23

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Well I mean given this headline.. If Dubas is serious about this stuff..

Manson to TO

Liljegren, Bracco, Ceci in return

So immediately I hate this as a Leaf fan. It's only digestible because the term on Manson.. But it's a big risk that he is going to return to form and be able to play a significant role on a team with cup aspirations.

Ceci is cap going back to make the deal work. Can be flipped in another deal given other speculation he has same value due to his salary being mostly paid. Ducks might get a mid round pick here.

For them, it's about getting younger and getting an NHL ready D. I don't want to move Liljegren.. He has finally developed into what we were hoping for. Only 20 years old and looks like he is going to be a solid 2nd pairing NHL D at worse. Had a great debut for us. Bracco is a sweetener.

Ducks fans may hate it as he is a fan favorite, but I hate it as a Leaf fan, so I think it makes a bit of sense if the goal for them is to retool their roster to get younger and better. Leafs only motivation is to pay the price of youth for an accelerated developed player.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
The play for Manson (if he is traded) is to either snag a young defensmen who needs expansion protection but won't necessarily help their current team atm.

Or get picks and prospects now, with the hopes of trading for a NHL defenseman next year or before expansion.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Never included Gibson. Gibson has always been my building block for rebuild mode. We need to understand Miller is gone after this season. Retirement. With him gone I’m not handing the reins over to Kevin Boyle to carry a franchise in goal. Nor would it be Gus.

You always build a franchise from the back end out. As much as I want that first. I’m not offering Gibson for it. We can talk about Lindholm or Manson for it though. Unprotected.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Kase and 2020 4th for Sutter, 2021 2nd, Utunen and 2022 5th round pick

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well I mean given this headline.. If Dubas is serious about this stuff..

Manson to TO

Liljegren, Bracco, Ceci in return

So immediately I hate this as a Leaf fan. It's only digestible because the term on Manson.. But it's a big risk that he is going to return to form and be able to play a significant role on a team with cup aspirations.

Ceci is cap going back to make the deal work. Can be flipped in another deal given other speculation he has same value due to his salary being mostly paid. Ducks might get a mid round pick here.

For them, it's about getting younger and getting an NHL ready D. I don't want to move Liljegren.. He has finally developed into what we were hoping for. Only 20 years old and looks like he is going to be a solid 2nd pairing NHL D at worse. Had a great debut for us. Bracco is a sweetener.

Ducks fans may hate it as he is a fan favorite, but I hate it as a Leaf fan, so I think it makes a bit of sense if the goal for them is to retool their roster to get younger and better. Leafs only motivation is to pay the price of youth for an accelerated developed player.
I don't really want to turn this into a Manson to Toronto thread but imo

Bracco doesn't do much for us, so I don't see much if any value for us in him.
Ceci is a cap dump, and a - for us. I also think you could argue Bracco being packaged to take Ceci remaining cap.

So your proposal is basically Manson for Liljergren, I think its a pretty easy pass for Anaheim, as I think other teams will easily out bid that(see the hurricanes right above you)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad