Garrett Sparks

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Assuming they clinch before Friday, do you start Sparks in the last game vs Montreal?

I'd assume Andersen gets the Tampa game.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Some poster said sparks was going to cost us 10+ points in the standing and home ice at the start of the year/(preseason) and they were dead right

I don't know if I put a number on it, but I said from day one it was a terrible move. An early sign that the young GM has no idea how to evaluate talent.

He appears to just go by age. If the player is younger, then they must be better. This also appears to be Shanny's formula for evaluating hockey executives.

That one move could mean a first round exist and a step back for a team that was only progressing under the previous regime. Sad.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Assuming they clinch before Friday, do you start Sparks in the last game vs Montreal?

I agree rest is good... but if they win tonight... they clinch.

So then they'll get Sparks in tomorrow.

That's another 3 days off for Andersen until a start. So 2 games in a week and a half.

Then they play Montreal... I'd still play him. He has another 4 or 5 days off after that. That's 3 games in 2 weeks. Hardly wearing a guy out.

I don't know... I'm just tired of the 5 goal... I mean hole... on Sparks.

Reactions: zaqq

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

That's another 3 days off for Andersen until a start. So 2 games in a week and a half.

Then they play Montreal... I'd still play him. He has another 4 or 5 days off after that. That's 3 games in 2 weeks. Hardly wearing a guy out.

Not to mention that if Sparks plays the MTL game, then that's a crazy long time in between Andersen's last regular season game and the first playoff game. You don't want him sitting that long before the playoffs start. Andy gets the game against MTL, for sure.

Reactions: Burnie97

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't know if I put a number on it, but I said from day one it was a terrible move. An early sign that the young GM has no idea how to evaluate talent.

He appears to just go by age. If the player is younger, then they must be better. This also appears to be Shanny's formula for evaluating hockey executives.

That one move could mean a first round exist and a step back for a team that was only progressing under the previous regime. Sad.

I'd like to see the justification about how a backup, who likely will not even play a game in the first round, will cause a first round exit.

At worst, he costs us the home ice advantage in the first round, which I do not think would be the main reason why the Leafs would end up losing a playoff series. Even then, there are a long list of larger factors on this team than the backup goalie who led to that happening in the first place.

Dubas made the right choice, and using hindsight is the only justification people have against Dubas right now. Sparks was unproven, but he was 9 years younger, the best goalie in the AHL by far last year, and possessed far more upside (which there was a very good chance he could have reached). That upside was well worth the risk of losing a notoriously inconsistent, 35-year-old goalie who was never more than a league-average backup at best in his career and would not be terribly difficult to replace (if he was even claimed on waivers in the first place, which was also far less likely than if Sparks was on waivers. Unfortunately for the Leafs, he was).

Not to mention, Carolina has a much stronger and committed defensive game than the Leafs do, and you could have easily swapped the bodies and seen Sparks put up a .915 with Carolina, and McElhinney being a sub .900 goalie this year with the Leafs. All hypothetical, but a very realistic possibility. Then Dubas looks like an idiot for letting go of a young, valuable asset in favour of a guy who you can find for less than 1 mill. on the free agent market every year (or on the waiver wire).

Leafs fans have a lot more to complain about than a GM making a right move on something...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Sparks in tomorrow, and that's it IMO. I thought he would not even get Ottawa, but I am fine with him getting it. Wish he did better, but I'd also wish the Leafs would put up more than 2 goals against Ottawa considering the amount of money and hype is invested into that forward group...

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Sparks in tomorrow, and that's it IMO. I thought he would not even get Ottawa, but I am fine with him getting it. Wish he did better, but I'd also wish the Leafs would put up more than 2 goals against Ottawa considering the amount of money and hype is invested into that forward group...

This is also very true.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I'd like to see the justification about how a backup, who likely will not even play a game in the first round, will cause a first round exit.

At worst, he costs us the home ice advantage in the first round, which I do not think would be the main reason why the Leafs would end up losing a playoff series. Even then, there are a long list of larger factors on this team than the backup goalie who led to that happening in the first place.

Dubas made the right choice, and using hindsight is the only justification people have against Dubas right now. Sparks was unproven, but he was 9 years younger, the best goalie in the AHL by far last year, and possessed far more upside (which there was a very good chance he could have reached). That upside was well worth the risk of losing a notoriously inconsistent, 35-year-old goalie who was never more than a league-average backup at best in his career and would not be terribly difficult to replace (if he was even claimed on waivers in the first place, which was also far less likely than if Sparks was on waivers. Unfortunately for the Leafs, he was).

Not to mention, Carolina has a much stronger and committed defensive game than the Leafs do, and you could have easily swapped the bodies and seen Sparks put up a .915 with Carolina, and McElhinney being a sub .900 goalie this year with the Leafs. All hypothetical, but a very realistic possibility. Then Dubas looks like an idiot for letting go of a young, valuable asset in favour of a guy who you can find for less than 1 mill. on the free agent market every year (or on the waiver wire).

Leafs fans have a lot more to complain about than a GM making a right move on something...

We have different definitions of the "right move". Making your team worse in the short and medium term is not my definition of the "right move".

You sound like a typical poster who gets focused on statistics likely a result of not watching games. I saw Sparks play live many many many times last year. I've talked to people around the rink who were there for every game and not one of them thought he had the tools to succeed at the next level. I saw the same thing they did. His fundamentals were lacking and he was lucky to be on a great AHL team.

Yes, he was younger than McBackup, but unless the young GM was looking to create a goaltending controversy, he should have selected the best person to be Andy's backup. Age should have played no role in that decision. You trade Sparks and let someone else regret it. Unfortunately the young GM didn't have the necessary vision to do that. It's like his vision was impaired.

If you don't think home ice matters in the playoffs, maybe you should take another watch at how the Leafs played in game 7 in Boston in the past. Would have been nice to have that one in our building. Ownership opened up the vault to help ensure that issue was rectified but the young GM messed up and cost us home ice. We might still win inspite of him, but it's very possible we are in another very close series and it's very possible we lose again because we didn't have game seven where it should be.

Don't get it twisted, the young GM has made a bunch of other mistakes this year that cost us additional points, but this goalie disaster was one of the biggest.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Too many people on here in fantasy land. Sparky has cost us in worst case scenario 4 points in standings. Last game and 1 game earlier where we were the better team but lost on some crazy bounces and deflections.

We don't have 3M based on CAP world to throw into a backup goalie who can win us 4 more games on his own (games where team does not show up but goalie wins the game anyways) in his 20 starts.

There is 1 reason why we did not finish ahead of Boston and it is DEFENSE. We don't have much. Forwards no matter how good have stretches where they don't produce. But DEFENSE can happen every night. DEFENSE takes a lot of smarts, training, experience and hard work practicing the science.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We have different definitions of the "right move". Making your team worse in the short and medium term is not my definition of the "right move".

You sound like a typical poster who gets focused on statistics likely a result of not watching games. I saw Sparks play live many many many times last year. I've talked to people around the rink who were there for every game and not one of them thought he had the tools to succeed at the next level. I saw the same thing they did. His fundamentals were lacking and he was lucky to be on a great AHL team.

Yes, he was younger than McBackup, but unless the young GM was looking to create a goaltending controversy, he should have selected the best person to be Andy's backup. Age should have played no role in that decision. You trade Sparks and let someone else regret it. Unfortunately the young GM didn't have the necessary vision to do that. It's like his vision was impaired.

If you don't think home ice matters in the playoffs, maybe you should take another watch at how the Leafs played in game 7 in Boston in the past. Would have been nice to have that one in our building. Ownership opened up the vault to help ensure that issue was rectified but the young GM messed up and cost us home ice. We might still win inspite of him, but it's very possible we are in another very close series and it's very possible we lose again because we didn't have game seven where it should be.

Don't get it twisted, the young GM has made a bunch of other mistakes this year that cost us additional points, but this goalie disaster was one of the biggest.
I think I have mentioned this before but one thing Scotty told me on goalies. I look for winners. Guys who win games no matter what team they are on. Do not overthink goalies they either win or not. If it is not then unload him quick.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011

Gosh...you're so clever in not saying his name, like he's Voldemort or something. Interesting that you seem to believe that age shouldn't be a consideration in hockey matters, yet you persist in shitting on Dubas by calling him "The Young GM". Hey kettle...it's the pot...you're black!
Also...it's the backup goalie, FFS. Hardly qualifies as a disaster.
You really need to get over yourself Dude.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think I have mentioned this before but one thing Scotty told me on goalies. I look for winners. Guys who win games no matter what team they are on. Do not overthink goalies they either win or not. If it is not then unload him quick.

Technique matters. By that logic if a team gets worse because of say injury and that goalie stops winning, then you're saying it's time to move them.

I have an eye for talent, so it's easy to me to key in on a guy for 10-15 games and make a fairly accurate judgment. But if you don't have good eyes, it's tough to make the right call.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Gosh...you're so clever in not saying his name, like he's Voldemort or something. Interesting that you seem to believe that age shouldn't be a consideration in hockey matters, yet you persist in ****ting on Dubas by calling him "The Young GM". Hey kettle...it's the pot...you're black!
Also...it's the backup goalie, FFS. Hardly qualifies as a disaster.
You really need to get over yourself Dude.

To me its a disaster because it was a key contributor to us missing on home ice, which in turn could cost us the series. I don't think taking steps backwards is a positive thing in this stage of the build.

I don't think the young GM is terrible because he's young, I just think he's terrible because of the terrible decisions he's made.

Whereas the argument for keeping Sparks over McBackup seems to begin and end with age.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Too many people on here in fantasy land. Sparky has cost us in worst case scenario 4 points in standings. Last game and 1 game earlier where we were the better team but lost on some crazy bounces and deflections.

We don't have 3M based on CAP world to throw into a backup goalie who can win us 4 more games on his own (games where team does not show up but goalie wins the game anyways) in his 20 starts.

There is 1 reason why we did not finish ahead of Boston and it is DEFENSE. We don't have much. Forwards no matter how good have stretches where they don't produce. But DEFENSE can happen every night. DEFENSE takes a lot of smarts, training, experience and hard work practicing the science.
It's either Sparks or a $3 million backup?

It should be easy to get a backup for league minimum who will be better.
Not much chance he could be worse.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There’s a fair amount of irony complaining about “technique” when it comes to Sparks then trying to claim McBackup was any better in that regard.

McBackup faced constant criticisms about his rebound control while he was with the Leafs

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There’s a fair amount of irony uncomplaining about “technique” when it comes to Sparks then trying to claim McBackup was any better in that regard.

McBackup faced constant criticisms about his rebound control while he was with the Leafs

In 18 games last year McElhinney posted 2.12 GAA and .934 sv% and had a $850k cap hit.

For all NHL goalies that played 15 or more games those stats above placed McBackup at #2 OA in GAA and #1 OA in sv% in the entire NHL in 2017-18.

He was replaced by a goalie with a 3.15 GAA (55th OA) and .901 sv% (51st OA) making $675K.

Last edited:

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
There’s a fair amount of irony uncomplaining about “technique” when it comes to Sparks then trying to claim McBackup was any better in that regard.

I dont recall too many people complain about McBackup during his time here. He wasnt perfect and he had some issues but he was just the backup and all around he looked comfortable and the team played fairly comfortable in front of him. Goalies like Sparks instill fear and uncertainty in the players in front of them and the play shows. The are many little parts to the game that are affected that go beyond simple stats and at least IMO, and im certain in many others here that we can see it. The fact that Curtis had experience with this team while it was formed was a huge bonus that we threw right out of the window.

Im not going to go out and hate on Dubas though. He's human and made a judgement call based on the information in front of him. And while an AHL mvp goalie that is younger than your current backup looks like a promising guess, it backfired. The part i dont get is why he didnt got for a backup at the deadline and then double down on a short contract next year for Sparks. I understand the risks are low with that signing and nothing is set, but my god it doesnt instill confidence.

I can't believe at this moment in time after sitting in the top 5 of the league most of the year, we are actually sitting with a small and very slight possibility of missing the playoffs with 4 games left. Sparks has some part to play in that.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

People will use the fact the we didn't get home ice advantage and place it on Sparks, which is just ridiculous. If we miss out by X number of points there are many games you can point too. More than just the games Sparks started.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I dont recall too many people complain about McBackup during his time here. He wasnt perfect and he had some issues but he was just the backup and all around he looked comfortable and the team played fairly comfortable in front of him. Goalies like Sparks instill fear and uncertainty in the players in front of them and the play shows. The are many little parts to the game that are affected that go beyond simple stats and at least IMO, and im certain in many others here that we can see it. The fact that Curtis had experience with this team while it was formed was a huge bonus that we threw right out of the window.

Im not going to go out and hate on Dubas though. He's human and made a judgement call based on the information in front of him. And while an AHL mvp goalie that is younger than your current backup looks like a promising guess, it backfired. The part i dont get is why he didnt got for a backup at the deadline and then double down on a short contract next year for Sparks. I understand the risks are low with that signing and nothing is set, but my god it doesnt instill confidence.

I can't believe at this moment in time after sitting in the top 5 of the league most of the year, we are actually sitting with a small and very slight possibility of missing the playoffs with 4 games left. Sparks has some part to play in that.

People did at first. It wasn't until 'that save' that people started believing in him, and even the next year it was all about how far Andersen could carry this team.

As far as the last paragraph a lot of that has to do with the conference and division we are in. Vegas is 15th in the league has less points than MONTREAL and has a spot clinched.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

I'd give Andy the Habs game, it would be a full week if not, that's a touch too long. The TB game is meaningless as well, not like it will matter, give it too Sparks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad