Garrett Sparks

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
You are telling me that this guy is the best option available as a backup goalie?

You can probably find a handful of goalies in Europe that are better than him

I've never seen a goalie so out of position on every shot. He makes James Reimer look like vezna candidate.

This issue needs to be addressed more than our defenseman. I can't be the only one fed up watching this guy play. Literally left a bad taste in my mouth watching him shit the bed tonight

And please, don't go posting his stats about how he has x wins etc etc. He's been going downhill for the last 4 games now. There's not one aspect to his game that's good, he's abysmal

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
I wanted a goalie at the deadline more than a forward like Ferland/Simmonds. Was really hoping for Jimmy Howard considering Sparks was a huge disappointment the first half of the season. If Andy ever goes down, we're f***cked.

Reactions: Number34 and mcleex

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I know he won a Calder. But fans forget he helped get us Mathews. In the tank year Sparks came up the final few months and was a huge help tanking. Pls bring up Hutchison.

Reactions: Spencer Sullivan

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
We’ll be goalie shopping in the offseason. I’ve defended Sparks this season, and yeah the team does leave him hanging out to dry, but he doesn’t look any more composed today than he did at the start of the season. It’s the lack of growth that concerns me most.

It was a gamble choosing Sparks over the other two for the backup position, but I don’t blame the brass for picking the younger guy.

We’ve got three more back to back games, so we’ll see him at least three more times.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I've never been impressed by him, but I don't think we should hang this loss on him. There were a couple he might have had, but Andersen wouldn't have won that game either.

Same as the earlier game against them - you lose 4-0 or 6-1, it probably ain't the goalie's fault.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The tank goalie. So **** the leafs were sure he would be terrible enough to finish dead last for matthews.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Calm down

He's a backup, the team in front of him showing and him killing them is one thing but the team doing a complete no show and expecting him to carry them is something else entirely

Sparks isn't great but let's look in front of him if we're looking to aportion blame after that particular performance

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A backup goalie is pretty much going to either be surprisingly solid or look like a terrible non starter. Sparks is 50/50 every time he starts.

Generally though, he is sort of the worst combo of Gustavsson and Reimer as someone mentioned above, and part of that failed batch of goalies along with Rynnas and Scrivens from that era. Must have been scouted by the same group of guys who probably liked his frame and athleticism, but failed to understand the horrible lack of technique and structure, composure and vision in his game.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
McBackup was much better than Sparks. Hutchinson is much better than Sparks. Does Dubas have an agenda or does is he really that clueless when it comes to the goaltending position ( among many other things)? I think it’s a bit of both.

Sparks has no business playing in this league, just like Dubas has no business being a GM in this league. It’s a trickle down effect.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
The puck definitely does not look like a beach ball to Sparks.

Lose for Hughes and Tank Nation begins and ends with Sparks.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I know he won a Calder. But fans forget he helped get us Mathews. In the tank year Sparks came up the final few months and was a huge help tanking. Pls bring up Hutchison.

But we don't need him to get us Jack Hughes too...:sarcasm:

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
We can only blame Sparks for the things that he personally as a professional level goalie is capable of controlling.

We can'tr blame him for defensive breakdowns and blown coverage. We cant blame him for the act of a breakaway come towards him, or a bad bounce off of the boards, or in some cases a very awkward ricochet off of a stick or shoulder...etc. I think most of us agree on this very basic level of what's not in his control.

However, where these things end is exactly where the most basic of high level skill begins. And this is the inherent problem of being a high level goalie. We can sit here and say things like Sparks sucks, hes terrible blah blah blah. We are only basing that on the level of play he belongs to, because even just one level below Sparks was near the top of his position and would easily crush us, or beer leagues or juniors...etc with his skill and ability. But at the NHL level he is subpar and looks completely out of place with his positioning and reactions and a lot of decisions. The short handed breakaway tonight was the perfect example. He didnt cause the breakaway of course which puts him instantly into the highest danger chance there is. However, its how he handles the breakaway which really is telling of how much he lacks in this league. Taking away factors of luck and the best and worst possible shot attempted there should be a relatively consistent chance for a goaltender to be positional sound enough and have the confidence to make a save. I think for the majority of us and probably his teammates that confidence is lacking and is shown to be justified. His movement is sloppy, he makes poor decisions on when to drop or slide across and when he does so his form is loose and awkward. It's honestly painful to watch sometimes and every fantastic save he makes is undone by a terrible goal.

If we lose Anderson we are %100 done. While its fair to say that most top teams would struggle losing their starter, we would suffer on an even greater level as our defense struggles and Sparks is both inexperienced and more importantly below average as a skilled backup.

Reactions: Kurtz

KE19

Jan 30, 2019
1st goal - Beauvillier knocks the puck down from about 3'9" for the tip in. Not Sparks fault.
2nd goal - Lee with the tic tac tow play. Blown D coverage. Not Sparks fault.
3rd goal - Cizikas goal. Sparks stopped the first shot. No D coverage. No one covered Cizikas. Cizikas gets the second shot with no one even attempting to get to him. Not Sparks fault.
4th goal - Filppula shot from point. Sparks completely screened on the shot. Not Sparks fault.
5th goal - Leddy goes 5 hole. No coverage and Leddy should not be left wide open. Sparks wishes he had that one back.
6th goal - Nelson with the ripper. Off Hainsey and in. Not Sparks fault.

So for you people freaking out about Sparks, you are wrong. If you don't think so, go look at the replays.

People start piling on. Probably even some people who didnt watch the game are also piling on. Many of you are ready to run Sparks out of the league after his first game at the Coliseum. Shame on most of you. Freaking gang mentality.

Not sure if some of you know this or not, but we didn't lose the game because of Sparks. Sparks only had 1 iffy goal.

Let me guess, most of you are also ignoring 3 highlight reel goals also. He is athletic. That toe save was freaking awesome.

"Oh, he is not NHL ready, he let 6 goals in". STOP!! Last season Freddy let in 5 goals 5 times and let in 6 goals 5 times.

Oh, did I mention he is young also.
Oh, did I mention it was Tavares' first game back in NY? Which doesn't really matter because only 1 goal was iffy.
Oh, did I mention he is also the back up goalie....not that it matters because 5 of those goals were not his fault.

"He is ECHL caliber". I heard that a few times. Are you serious? 5 of the goals are not his fault and he cannot be blamed for them.

Here is why the Isles scored 6 goals....poor D zone coverage.

If you don't see the puck, you cannot stop it....most times.
If the puck is deflected in or re-directed at some point, then the goalie cannot be blamed.

But again, mostly blown D zone coverage.

Now lets see how many of you are going to jump on the "Sparks is not good" after 1 game....which most goals were not his fault.

Sparks was mobile, athletic, and well positioned. That is a fact. Blown D coverage is also a fact. Many tip ins and screens, was also a fact. He also had 3 highlight reel saves and that is a fact.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
I game here to flame this post because I thought you were being sarcastic.

Agree with you 100%

Oct 18, 2010
He's got a black hole sized five hole but to blame him for tonight is ridiculous. He's not close to Andersen but the Leafs defense is hilariously bad and was that tonight.

Sparks has been terrible all year long but at the end of the day the management has to think about in 3 years when Andersen's contract is up. Which goalie has the better potential to be the starter in 3 years: McElhinney or Sparks? A lot can change in that time.

If you throw him away this quickly, it just makes the decision to not go with McElhinney even worse.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'm not the biggest Sparks fan but tonights game isn't really one you can put on him. Everybody sucked tonight.

The first 3 goals were a 3 on 1, 2 on 1, and a breakaway, and sure you hope for at least one hero save there, but tonight it just wasn't happening for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad