Garrett Sparks

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yes there was a group of us all saying the same thing. I even suggested keeping 3 goalies until you were sure that Sparks could be an NHL goalie. We used him to tank how was that lost on everyone. Babcock played him because it gave us a better chance at losing. Yes it was two years earlier but his over all play had not changed as clearly shown both preseason before this year. It was not hindsight.
Agreed. Why keep 8 D men, said the same thing. It isn't hindsight, it was foresight actually.

Reactions: diceman934

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed. Why keep 8 D men, said the same thing. It isn't hindsight, it was foresight actually.

Well, imagine what the current Leafs blueline would look like if they didn't even have a Marincin/Holl to fill in.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Watching Sparks last night open up his legs wider than Madonna in the 90s was laughable.

I pointed out his flaws way back in preseason and it's clear he has done nothing to address them. He's just not an NHL goalie.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Oh that awesome ability to have the magical powers of hindsight ,it’s like some of you are wizards and warlocks , incredible incredible talent I must say .
Given that in the history of sports , and I do mean ever , I don’t think , and correct me if im wrong , that any GM has not made a single mistake or 10 ? Even some of the greatest like Pollock and such .
Sure fire number 1 overall draft picks ? Trades ? Deadline aquisitions ? Retained players ? Not traded away contracts ? Overpaid players ? And so much more .
But wait some of you are perfect GM’s , with so much experience in the position , probably you have won your fantasy pool , or went 82-0 on your favourite video hockey game ? Maybe put together a pretty good street hockey team ? And with all that relevant HOF credentials you seem to have that little extra mystical , magical wonderment of seeing into the future as well ! Wow your the perfect , flawless sports god , hell the perfect human with super powers oh and that giant sports brain ....
Shut the Hell up ! All of you that come in here and brag and nag and bag all the moves and non moves after the fact ...
Hello Captain Obvious ... looks like Sparks isn’t the answer at the moment and may never be , I think you may be right HOFamer in the builders catagory !! Wow you nailed it this time , you deserve a raise and a promotion to assistant to the travel secretary Costanza !
And who gives a pluck that we possibly overpaid our young stars by 1 mil or so ?
Oh yeah I forgot it’s your payroll as well and that you are also the ultimate purser in high end professional sports economics with veteran credentials and years of tenure under your belts ...
Give it a rest ....
The Sparks handling was the right move under the circumstances at the then current time ...period and 95% of GMs would have played it out in the same way , from all aspects ...
And signing our young talented players with those terms were the right moves under the current ever changing market and possibly going to be great financial moves in the not so distant future in the NHL with the new breed of players !
So I suggest that all of you super brainiac freaks of sports lore start sending in your resumes to the Seattle franchise , you should be a shoe in for their upcoming management vacancies and I’ll save you a seat at the HOF induction ceremonies when your done winning the Stanley Cup with all perfect seasons in every year your at the helm of your professional sports franchise
Every other team need not even play with your perfect mind and wizardry
Ps say hi to that perfect grand wizard himself the mighty mighty Steve Simmons on the way to your acceptance speech !
Go Leafs Go !!

Reactions: Tiggaracing

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Oh that awesome ability to have the magical powers of hindsight ,it’s like some of you are wizards and warlocks , incredible incredible talent I must say .
Given that in the history of sports , and I do mean ever , I don’t think , and correct me if im wrong , that any GM has not made a single mistake or 10 ? Even some of the greatest like Pollock and such .
Sure fire number 1 overall draft picks ? Trades ? Deadline aquisitions ? Retained players ? Not traded away contracts ? Overpaid players ? And so much more .
But wait some of you are perfect GM’s , with so much experience in the position , probably you have won your fantasy pool , or went 82-0 on your favourite video hockey game ? Maybe put together a pretty good street hockey team ? And with all that relevant HOF credentials you seem to have that little extra mystical , magical wonderment of seeing into the future as well ! Wow your the perfect , flawless sports god , hell the perfect human with super powers oh and that giant sports brain ....
Shut the Hell up ! All of you that come in here and brag and nag and bag all the moves and non moves after the fact ...
Hello Captain Obvious ... looks like Sparks isn’t the answer at the moment and may never be , I think you may be right HOFamer in the builders catagory !! Wow you nailed it this time , you deserve a raise and a promotion to assistant to the travel secretary Costanza !
And who gives a pluck that we possibly overpaid our young stars by 1 mil or so ?
Oh yeah I forgot it’s your payroll as well and that you are also the ultimate purser in high end professional sports economics with veteran credentials and years of tenure under your belts ...
Give it a rest ....
The Sparks handling was the right move under the circumstances at the then current time ...period and 95% of GMs would have played it out in the same way , from all aspects ...
And signing our young talented players with those terms were the right moves under the current ever changing market and possibly going to be great financial moves in the not so distant future in the NHL with the new breed of players !
So I suggest that all of you super brainiac freaks of sports lore start sending in your resumes to the Seattle franchise , you should be a shoe in for their upcoming management vacancies and I’ll save you a seat at the HOF induction ceremonies when your done winning the Stanley Cup with all perfect seasons in every year your at the helm of your professional sports franchise
Ps say hi to that perfect grand wizard himself the mighty mighty Steve Simmons on the way to your acceptance speech !
Go Leafs Go !!
With all this vitriol, I only have 1 question. Who are you and why should we care?

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Give it a rest ....
Go Leafs Go !!
Sparks sucks and too long didn’t read

horner

May 22, 2007
Garbage goaltender
Everyone but Dubassssssss could see this guy wasn't that get in the AHL last season.
When pressured he always crumbled.
Except for McEihinney , I don't think you can sign a capable backup under 1.5 to 2 mil.
Next yr I would sign for 2 yrs 1.7 mil per season
Mrazek
38 gm 21 w 14 L 4 SO 2.46 GAA .911 SV%

If we want to win a cup, we need a very good backup.

Sparkes is not the answer.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Well, imagine what the current Leafs blueline would look like if they didn't even have a Marincin/Holl to fill in.
You actually think Marincin wouldn't have cleared waivers? I mean he only has twice now. Such a non issue.

I didn't like 3 goalies, but it was right call after Sparks crapped out at camp. Dubas thought the two wouldn't get picked up on waivers, he misread the market there. Everything about Sparks was a mistake.

Reactions: hotpaws

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Sparks isn’t the answer but Dubas couldn’t give away Sparks after his performance in the AHL. It was more likely that Mac was playing over his head and Sparks had potential than all of a sudden Mac is a better goalie at his age and Sparks would be shite. Turned out to be wrong but it was a tough decision without the benefit of hindsight.

Looking at Sparks now...his positioning and lack of rebound control makes me wonder how he ever did well even in the AHL.

Get off Dubas ffs. As mentioned above most GM’s would’ve made the same decision

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Team needs a backup goalie for the now and to develop a replacement for Freddy ready in 3 years. Sparks isn't going to be a starting goalie in 3 years in the NHL and he isn't prepared or capable of being a reliable backup now.

This needs addressed in the off season.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Give it a rest ....
Go Leafs Go !!

Except it's not hindsight when you firmly predict the outcome like many did when Dubas went with Sparks over McElhinney.

Confirmed with Link: - Calvin Pickard, McBackup, Placed on Waivers

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Team needs a backup goalie for the now and to develop a replacement for Freddy ready in 3 years. Sparks isn't going to be a starting goalie in 3 years in the NHL and he isn't prepared or capable of being a reliable backup now.

This needs addressed in the off season.
We need a cheap backup for next year. I wouldn’t mind bringing Hutch back for that. Waive Sparks and hope someone takes him so we can play Woll/Scott next year with the Marlies

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
You actually think Marincin wouldn't have cleared waivers? I mean he only has twice now. Such a non issue.

I didn't like 3 goalies, but it was right call after Sparks crapped out at camp. Dubas thought the two wouldn't get picked up on waivers, he misread the market there. Everything about Sparks was a mistake.

No I'm pretty sure Dubas knew he would lose at least one if not both he sent down. He chose to go with youth, and a goalie that just came off an AHL Goalie of the Year..year (hmm). Hindsight shows he chose wrong.

With the way Babcock deploys his goalies why would you keep 3?

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The idea that the Leafs should have kept three goalies is fairly silly.

Almost no NHL team ever does this and Babcock only plays his backup 20 games a season at most

Reactions: Loosie

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Sparks proved this year he can't be a very good backup. Maybe an okay backup.

It seems eventually the NHL... if it isn't already. . Is trending to give top goalies a lot more rest. Sparks doesn't appear to be able to handle 20 plus games a season... or even 15.

I hope they just signed him cheap to trade him this summer. I'm sure he'll stay another year minimum though and play super mediocre hockey and let pucks fly through his 5 hole... or over his shoulders like one of those cardboard cut outs you shoot on when your a kid and start picking corners on all the time... like players do with Sparks.

I hope Andy can stay healthy. He didn't have a good March but currently we have no one else capable of carrying us... especially the mediocre defensive play of this team as a whole.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Sparks has been mediocre this year, definitely some bad goals. Pretty much what you might expect for a league minimum salaried rookie backup.
The fact that this result was to be expected really calls into question Babcock’s abysmal usage of Sparks.
Two games against Islanders and one against Bruins. Just terrible selection. I’m sure one of those games must have been when Freddie was hurt but overall Babcocks adherence to playing the backup on the backend of a back to back is moronic.
Even deciding to rest Freddie against Ottawa instead of having him in to clinch was asinine. Clinch and then rest you dumb f***.
Freddie could have clinched for us on Saturday and only played about two periods this next week where Sparks could take the rest. Instead we are going to be scrambling if we lose tonight.
Say what you want about Dubas but Babcock has shit the bed consistently this season with tender usage; he’s completely exasperated the situation.
I’m sure this will go over poorly with people who want to cling to the notion that Sparks isn’t nhl caliber for a freaking backup or that Dubas is entirely inept. Ultimately the guy with the experience is Babcock and his mistakes are glaring and have cost us. He gets away with subpar leadership because he is tenured and people put their faith in him: basically the opposite situation to Dubas.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Sparks has been mediocre this year, definitely some bad goals. Pretty much what you might expect for a league minimum salaried rookie backup.
The fact that this result was to be expected really calls into question Babcock’s abysmal usage of Sparks.
Two games against Islanders and one against Bruins. Just terrible selection. I’m sure one of those games must have been when Freddie was hurt but overall Babcocks adherence to playing the backup on the backend of a back to back is moronic.
Even deciding to rest Freddie against Ottawa instead of having him in to clinch was asinine. Clinch and then rest you dumb ****.
Freddie could have clinched for us on Saturday and only played about two periods this next week where Sparks could take the rest. Instead we are going to be scrambling if we lose tonight.
Say what you want about Dubas but Babcock has **** the bed consistently this season with tender usage; he’s completely exasperated the situation.
I’m sure this will go over poorly with people who want to cling to the notion that Sparks isn’t nhl caliber for a freaking backup or that Dubas is entirely inept. Ultimately the guy with the experience is Babcock and his mistakes are glaring and have cost us. He gets away with subpar leadership because he is tenured and people put their faith in him: basically the opposite situation to Dubas.

You can read my post above yours... but I don't disagree with yours either.

He's a mediocre goalie. . And yeah... I agree... not a lot of thought process has gone into how to properly use the backup.

It's on Sparks more though because he's the one in net and rarely makes a big save when you need it... he recently called out the team too... and then shits the bed... so he needs to stop yapping and start showing he isn't a below average goalie.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
You can read my post above yours... but I don't disagree with yours either.

He's a mediocre goalie. . And yeah... I agree... not a lot of thought process has gone into how to properly use the backup.

It's on Sparks more though because he's the one in net and rarely makes a big save when you need it... he recently called out the team too... and then ****s the bed... so he needs to stop yapping and start showing he isn't a below average goalie.
Well he did come back with a hell of a game after calling out the team. Unfortunately in the last game his one unquestionably bad goal was AWFUL and broke our backs.
For a mediocre backup though he definitely has been thrown to the wolves.
I still think if you put this guy on a team with good defense he’s going to prove himself a decent value backup. Just don’t play him against top teams on the second half of a back to back. Don’t count on him to clinch the playoffs for you.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
In his goalie selection I can picture Babcock saying: well that’s the way I do it, it’s not my fault to cover other people’s mistakes if they pick the wrong guy.
Babcock has to adjust though. I have a gut feeling the guy is stubborn and possibly a touch petulant. He blames other people too often. If we fail it’s on him, end of story. Coach needs to go down with the ship, too many excuses by that guy and those that support him.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Well he did come back with a hell of a game after calling out the team. Unfortunately in the last game his one unquestionably bad goal was AWFUL and broke our backs.
For a mediocre backup though he definitely has been thrown to the wolves.
I still think if you put this guy on a team with good defense he’s going to prove himself a decent value backup. Just don’t play him against top teams on the second half of a back to back. Don’t count on him to clinch the playoffs for you.

Yup... that is definitely a fair assessment.

After the other night with the one 5 hole goal... and the terrible reffing ... I wasn't in any mood to defend him... but I won't argue on that.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No I'm pretty sure Dubas knew he would lose at least one if not both he sent down. He chose to go with youth, and a goalie that just came off an AHL Goalie of the Year..year (hmm). Hindsight shows he chose wrong.

With the way Babcock deploys his goalies why would you keep 3?
Babs said they didn't expect to lose both.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Dubas watched Sparkie for 3 years with the Marlies and i doubt his

-rebound control
-positioning
-puck tracking ability
-technique

just disappeared over the summer so i have no idea how the Dube could have believed he was the right choice to be our backup , especially after his brutal camp .

and if the Dube can't evaluate something as easy as watching his own player for years it's makes me very concerned that he's simply basing his decisions on spread sheets since he can't trust or doesn't have the ability to evaluate a player

Reactions: Leaf4Life

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Babs said they didn't expect to lose both.
and if teams didn't have injuries at the end of camp i doubt they would have lost both but Dubas would/should have known this and the smart play would have been to waive one of the goalies a little earlier and if he was taken break camp with all 3 goalies until they could see Sparkie in regular season action

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Garbage goaltender
Everyone but Dubassssssss could see this guy wasn't that get in the AHL last season.
When pressured he always crumbled.
Except for McEihinney , I don't think you can sign a capable backup under 1.5 to 2 mil.
Next yr I would sign for 2 yrs 1.7 mil per season
Mrazek
38 gm 21 w 14 L 4 SO 2.46 GAA .911 SV%

If we want to win a cup, we need a very good backup.

Sparkes is not the answer.

How many back to backs are there in the playoffs :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad