Garrett Sparks

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
see and that would be fine. but none of the moves made were a "yah we'll just take our time and train sparks." kind of way. it was "we expect to contend for a cup." kind of year. you don't do that w/a rookie backup goalie - who isn't Matt Murarry.

True but we don't know what the valuation was on Sparks from within. Maybe Keefe and Steve Briere were all in favour of keeping Sparks and the market feedback they got was that they wouldn't loose both of Pickard and Curtis, so they thought it was worth a gamble. Who knows.

Reactions: Menzinger

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Every playoff team says this

mhm. they do.
Tampa lost theirs, and didn't miss a beat. so did Boston.
as Dubas is all "well all we can worry about is our division. should speak volumes.

True but we don't know what the valuation was on Sparks from within. Maybe Keefe and Steve Briere were all in favour of keeping Sparks and the market feedback they got was that they wouldn't loose both of Pickard and Curtis, so they thought it was worth a gamble. Who knows.

well then they all screwed up.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
that was my opinion too. But I could at least see a reasoning to it in that they may have wanted to develop Sparks. Otherwise what's the point at all. Cheap but good lesson for Dubas to learn.

Dubas rolled the dice. You don't bet on a 35 year old career backup who has relapsed to a sub .900 sv% in the past. If it was for one season only its CM all the way but it wasn't. Obvious mistake now but a lot of people who know more than this board had to agree on the goalie decision. Every time Sparks shows some positive results he craps the bed again to remind you he isn't a big game guy. I expect he is replaced with an upgrade but it might not be before we are into next season. I kind of think they were hoping to get through the X draft without spending on a new keeper but that is too far away. There will be another McBackup out there.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Dubas rolled the dice. You don't bet on a 35 year old career backup who has relapsed to a sub .900 sv% in the past. If it was for one season only its CM all the way but it wasn't. Obvious mistake now but a lot of people who know more than this board had to agree on the goalie decision. Every time Sparks shows some positive results he craps the bed again to remind you he isn't a big game guy. I expect he is replaced with an upgrade but it might not be before we are into next season. I kind of think they were hoping to get through the X draft without spending on a new keeper but that is too far away. There will be another McBackup out there.
There was nothing to bet on with Big Mac. We knew what we had. Sparks was the gamble. A gamble that was irresponsible for our GM to take with this team ready to compete for the cup. He took a strength of ours in backup goaltending and made it a weakness with his gamble. He made the team worse not better because he decided to roll the dice when there was no need to.

And then you end your statement with saying we need to go looking for what we just gave away for free. This was all so obvious.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I'm absolutely furious... FURIOUS... at the Dubas dramatic overpayments.

So it takes a lot for me to defend him, but I still think he made the right decision at the time regarding Sparks. It was a very difficult decision. Keeping McBackup (who played great last year) meant losing all 3 of our ahl goalie depth to waivers. I mean, what a shitty situation. Sparks had just won the Harry Holmes award, and lead the team to a Calder Cup. Imagine losing that to waivers? Imagine trading him away for a pittance in return, only for him becoming the next Rask situation?

I think Dubas made the safest decision at the time, but it most certainly hasn't panned out. In hindsight, I suppose he should have kept McBackup, and traded Sparks for a solid defensive prospect. But that's all in hindsight.

Reactions: meng666 and Kurtz

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Your developmental system has to mean something.

Otherwise, what are guys in the minors working for?

It hasn't worked out with Sparks obviously but he had to be given an opportunity at the NHL level. Keeping a vet replaceable backup over a guy you drafted and brought up through the ranks wasn't an option for Dubas.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
you mean like this year and we tossed our really good backup away because. Sparks was "AHL Goalie of the year?"
i have no idea what the goalie go-round has this year.

Dubas did more or less the same thing in letting a proven first line winger in JVR walk to free agency to go instead with “unproven” guys like Kapanen and Johnsson instead.

Sometimes these gambles payoff, sometimes they flop. Personally I don’t mind gambling on youth even with the risks involved.

And I know folks like to point to say the Pens in the playoffs as an example of a team using a backup in the playoffs but, this Leafs team in particular is going to need their starter most of all showing up in round one in particular..

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There was nothing to bet on with Big Mac. We knew what we had. Sparks was the gamble. A gamble that was irresponsible for our GM to take with this team ready to compete for the cup. He took a strength of ours in backup goaltending and made it a weakness with his gamble. He made the team worse not better because he decided to roll the dice when there was no need to.

And then you end your statement with saying we need to go looking for what we just gave away for free. This was all so obvious.
Why gamble when you didn't have to? Why take a chance when the upside is what you already had? Freddie isn't exactly old, nobody sees Sparks as an heir apparent, so what was the point apart from "rewarding from within". Even there has McBackup not proved his worth to the organization last two years?

Dubas added risk where non existed and it's burning him. McBackup will still be in this league when Sparks is in the Swiss league.

Reactions: yubbers

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
God forbid Anderson gets hurt!
That was the huge risk all along.

Imagine 20 games in Andersen goes down for 1/2 a season.

Sparks is the starter.

Leafs dont make the playoffs with him as a starter.

Leaf Nation would be in full meltdown mode.

All year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why gamble when you didn't have to? Why take a chance when the upside is what you already had? Freddie isn't exactly old, nobody sees Sparks as an heir apparent, so what was the point apart from "rewarding from within". Even there has McBackup not proved his worth to the organization last two years?

Dubas added risk where non existed and it's burning him. McBackup will still be in this league when Sparks is in the Swiss league.

As to why take the gamble?

The Leafs were a lock to make the playoffs from a preseason POV: still are though the Habs have been much better than expected.

McBackup only played like 32 games over that two year period, so it’s not as if he had an extensive record with the Leafs at the time

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Nothing about this guys would indicate he is an NHL caliber goalie ...NOTHING!

Always Deep in the net and all over the place ...flopping around ... No control.... I honestly have no idea what the brass we're seeing with this guy ...and worst he has been extended for next year after seeing him struggle the majority of this year ...puzzzling

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
As to why take the gamble?

The Leafs were a lock to make the playoffs from a preseason POV: still are though the Habs have been much better than expected.

McBackup only played like 32 games over that two year period, so it’s not as if he had an extensive record with the Leafs at the time
The Leafs weren't a lock to get home ice, which was pointed out by many of us when we made this move. A solid backup for a complete maybe is an unnecessary risk, particularly when there was no upside apart from age.

He played 18 last year, pretty much same as this guy will. And McBackup was 11-5, do the math compared to Sparks 7-7...that's home ice with Boston right there.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Dubas did more or less the same thing in letting a proven first line winger in JVR walk to free agency to go instead with “unproven” guys like Kapanen and Johnsson instead.

Sometimes these gambles payoff, sometimes they flop. Personally I don’t mind gambling on youth even with the risks involved.

And I know folks like to point to say the Pens in the playoffs as an example of a team using a backup in the playoffs but, this Leafs team in particular is going to need their starter most of all showing up in round one in particular..

1: we couldn't afford to keep JVR. the end of story.

2: Kapanen and Johnsson played last year and showed they fit in. are you honestly. comparing those two to Sparks? seriously.

it was a stupid gamble that didn't need to be taken. Andersen. the guy who was run dead into the ground last year, needed someone who could take some of the games off him. that wasn't gonna be Sparks. it should have been a veteran guy. period, full stop. I know for the most part people hate veterans here - but it's needed.

and the only reason why i keep bringing up Matt Murray is for me to cover my base. that's the only team I know of that had a rookie who had to step in and then took over. (then took over the next year). that's never ever happening here.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The earliest this gets even thought about is the post season.
I'm pretty sure Sparks is the backup for next year.

Count on it.. ICYMI Dubas has already locked him up for next year.

Maple Leafs Sign Sparks to One-Year Extension
March 5th, 2019

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced today that the team has signed goaltender Garret Sparks to a one-year contract extension. The contract will carry an average annual value of $750,000 in 2019-20.

Sparks, 25, has posted a 7-5-1 record with a 3.09 goals-against average, a .902 save percentage and one shutout in 14 appearances with the Maple Leafs this season.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
1: we couldn't afford to keep JVR. the end of story.

2: Kapanen and Johnsson played last year and showed they fit in. are you honestly. comparing those two to Sparks? seriously.

it was a stupid gamble that didn't need to be taken. Andersen. the guy who was run dead into the ground last year, needed someone who could take some of the games off him. that wasn't gonna be Sparks. it should have been a veteran guy. period, full stop. I know for the most part people hate veterans here - but it's needed.

and the only reason why i keep bringing up Matt Murray is for me to cover my base. that's the only team I know of that had a rookie who had to step in and then took over. (then took over the next year). that's never ever happening here.

The point that I was making is that teams replace proven guys all the time with unproven younger guys (neither Kapanen or AJs brief NHL callous prior to this suggested they’d be able to replace anywhere near JVRs ) - something that goes well beyond Sparks/McBackup or Kapanen/JVR.

Now if the gamble flops than the guy who makes the decision deserves some flack, but I’d reject the idea that this was a strange logic behind the decision, rather it’s a fairly common occurrence

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Count on it.. ICYMI Dubas has already locked him up for next year.

Maple Leafs Sign Sparks to One-Year Extension
March 5th, 2019

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced today that the team has signed goaltender Garret Sparks to a one-year contract extension. The contract will carry an average annual value of $750,000 in 2019-20.

Sparks, 25, has posted a 7-5-1 record with a 3.09 goals-against average, a .902 save percentage and one shutout in 14 appearances with the Maple Leafs this season.
To be fair, that deal means nothing. A one year deal, 50 grand above league minimum. If anything it speaks to Sparks having no leverage and the team not wanting to commit to him. It's a pretty whatever "deal", no downside for the team whatsoever.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
That was the huge risk all along.

Imagine 20 games in Andersen goes down for 1/2 a season.

Sparks is the starter.

Leafs dont make the playoffs with him as a starter.

Leaf Nation would be in full meltdown mode.

All year.
The Hutchinson trade still would have happened. Hutchinson and Sparks would have fought for the temporary "number 1 spot". Hutchinson would have won. And I think the leafs would have still gotten a wildcard position with Hutchinson.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To be fair, that deal means nothing. A one year deal, 50 grand above league minimum. If anything it speaks to Sparks having no leverage and the team not wanting to commit to him. It's a pretty whatever "deal", no downside for the team whatsoever.

It speaks to how bad Sparks has been also, by 1 year and near league minimum extension. ;)

He is really the only other goalie now under contract for next year after Andersen in the organization as Hutch is a pending UFA. You're right its really no big deal in the big picture cost/depth wise.

If Dubas let Sparks walk it would be even more evidence of a poor decision made this year that has likely cost the Leafs home ice in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure plan A is however to have Sparks backup again next year by this early signing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It speaks to how bad Sparks has been also, by 1 year and near league minimum extension. ;)

He is really the only other goalie now under contract for next year after Andersen in the organization as Hutch is a pending UFA. You're right its really no big deal in the big picture cost/depth wise.

If Dubas let Sparks walk it would be even more evidence of a poor decision made this year that has likely cost the Leafs home ice in the playoffs.
Sure does speak to how bad he's been. I predict we have another candidate in camp and we won't see a repeat. If we do hold on to him next year then I'll see it as a flaw in Dubas he can't admit a mistake.

There was a hit on TSN a couple weeks ago, sentiment around the league is that he's a horribly flawed goalie. People who know goaltending can see it, let's hope our GM cuts bait. He isn't an NHL goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad