Garrett Sparks

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
The 5th goal was the only soft one that he allowed. This was a team loss, Sparks was part of it, but to point fingers at only him is wrong.
He is not good...period.Hasn't improved this season,is not looking like an Nhl goalie.Seriously,he has a long way to go.i doubt he ever gets there,too many aspects of his game are lousy.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The 5th goal was the only soft one that he allowed. This was a team loss, Sparks was part of it, but to point fingers at only him is wrong.
he was out of position for a couple of other goals as well , the guy can't track the puck and loses where he is in the crease as well

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
if Dubas has to rely on his pro scouts to tell him Sparks isn't an NHLer then he should never had been hired by the team , never mind promoted to GM
I get the thought about promoting within. I get giving Sparks ever opportunity in the world to take the job from McBackup. Where Dubas lost me is not acknowledging that this guy completely shit the bed in camp and didn't win anything. He cut loose a known quantity, that had a good relationship with Freddie, the confidence of his coach and teammates, for a guy who failed to earn a spot. Let's not forget the backup goalie poll here, Sparks had 14 percent support, he was that BAD in camp. Dubas' thought process in the off season is reasonable, to not be pragmatic and let camp slide, a clear mistake. The signs were all there.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

At least half of them were soft.

And thats besides the point, goalies are supposed to make hard saves too. Thats why they're there.

Hes fundamentally a bad goalie and its hard to watch. His rebound control is non-existent and his five hole is enormous because hes often overextending himself because hes out of position. He also gets beaten cleanly far too often.

Reactions: DarkKnight

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
As for Dubas, he gambled and lost. Sparks didn’t cost this team home ice, that’s epic hyperbole
The Sparks experiment wasn't a horrible gamble, but it was a failure.

I was shocked when McBackup wasn't back as he'd been playing so well.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Sparks isn't, has never been and never will be an NHL goalie.
He's great in the AHL and the next time he finds himself there, I suspect it will be permanent

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Sending back to AHL, bring up Hutch. This guy is not an NHL goalie.

For bettter or worse hes here to stay this year. As poor as he is playing now, he probably doesnt make it through waivers right now. The Marlies need a goalie too.

I would be stunned if a legit veteran goalie isnt brought in next year and theres an actual competition at camp

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I was a Garret Sparks supporter but not anymore. He’s been brutal and his numbers keep getting worse. Dubas miss evaluated him big time. I can’t believe he resigned him.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
For bettter or worse hes here to stay this year. As poor as he is playing now, he probably doesnt make it through waivers right now. The Marlies need a goalie too.

I would be stunned if a legit veteran goalie isnt brought in next year and theres an actual competition at camp

Sparks makes it through waivers without a doubt. He’s done nothing in the NHL to prove he belongs.

Reactions: hotpaws

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
Anderson's been just as bad lately and has benefitted from a fully rested team, yet no Anderson sucks threads with a bunch of people piling on. Interesting.

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
I am a Sparks fan but even I feel his postgame comments were out of place, he wasnt doing himself any favours after that game. On a few of those goals he was playing pretty deep in his crease taking on a straight shooter. The Sparks that lit up the AHL was much more aggressive and positionally sound, maybe the loss of Piero Greco is having a greater impact than we know. Maybe the new goalie coach isnt compatible with his more athletic style, I dont know, I just hope he gets it together.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He is not good...period.Hasn't improved this season,is not looking like an Nhl goalie.Seriously,he has a long way to go.i doubt he ever gets there,too many aspects of his game are lousy.
just goes to show u the AHL goalie of the year means not alot
dubas justifiably rewarded some marlies for their outstanding work in the previous year
but he's like alot of backup goalies one step above the AHL WITH 100 MORE like them coming out of junior and college every year

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
just goes to show u the AHL goalie of the year means not alot
dubas justifiably rewarded some marlies for their outstanding work in the previous year
but he's like alot of backup goalies one step above the AHL WITH 100 MORE like them coming out of junior and college every year
That is likely true. I wonder though,in practice...does Sparks shine? Or are they beating him like a rented mule? What I mean is,there are some really good shooters on the team that he is facing in practice,so i don't understand how he can't get better and if he isn't showing signs of improvement ,then why is he still there?

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I woke up hoping to hear the news Sparks was sent to the Marlies but no dice

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
loll this fan base is something else.

Most teams in the NHL lose the back to back, except like Tampa. Maybe go research and educate yourself on the situations that Sparks is always in, before coming in and chirping the entire organization like any of you will ever go anywhere in the field. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Dubas doesn't make his decisions like that. He says camp is too short and he takes a longer view.
He ignored camp this year.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dubas doesn't make his decisions like that. He says camp is too short and he takes a longer view.
He ignored camp this year.

Dubas is also a rookie GM and opinions of how things are done can change.

Regardless, we dont have enough goalies signed for next year. We'll be signing someone, whether for the AHL or NHL

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Anderson's been just as bad lately and has benefitted from a fully rested team, yet no Anderson sucks threads with a bunch of people piling on. Interesting.
Andersen really has nothing in common with Sparks. Andersen is technically sound. However, Andersen does have a reputation as a playoff flop, so that is concerning.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Mike McKenna got picked up.

Has any waived goalie made it through waivers in season this year?

Sparks AHL pedigree is strong enough I doubt he makes it through.

Dubas made the right choice, but got burned. It happens.

And most backup goalies suck so Hutchinson isn't that much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad