Value of: Garret Sparks

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This scenario is flawed to me from the get go, because with the defense they currently have, I don't consider the Maple Leafs a Cup contender this year. That window opens if and when they add a couple of blue liners to the team that move the needle defensively.

That being said, if Fred gets injured, I don't want either one of those guys. The Leafs gave up more shots that any team in the league last year and Fred faced more rubber than any goalie in the league. The notion that you could remove him from the equation and plug in McIllheney and that's gonna work is laughable regardless of what he did last year in a small sample size.

21.NSH 32.4
23.TBL 32.7
26.ANA 33.1
28.TOR 33.9

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Toronto keeps talking bout a 6-7 year window. McElhinney is not a part of that window. Sparks very well could be. Seems a no brainer to go with Sparks.

Or Pickard. I’m not sure why Pickard isn’t getting more discussion. He’s had the better preseason and has a larger body of work in the NHL. He also was the goalie of Team North America in the World Championships.

pagegallagher15

Aug 19, 2017
heres my idea on this whole situation getting Pickard wasn't all that necessary but now that you have him, hes the 3rd goalie automatically.

Sparks hasn't proven himself in the NHL yet and to me hes basically another Drew MacIntyre, Leaf fans remember him? or JS Aubin. They all had their moments on the Marlies but never really made it to the NHL. Maybe not Aubin but you get the point.

Because we got Woll Scott and Kasimir coming up. Sparks needs to go while hes worth something. maybe a 4th? Kasimir can back up Pickard. Easy solution

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Toronto keeps talking bout a 6-7 year window. McElhinney is not a part of that window. Sparks very well could be. Seems a no brainer to go with Sparks.

Or Pickard. I’m not sure why Pickard isn’t getting more discussion. He’s had the better preseason and has a larger body of work in the NHL. He also was the goalie of Team North America in the World Championships.
Man the Leafs have a slew of backup goalies with titles, accolades, and stature that mean absolute squat to their value in trade or their ability to play in the NHL.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

Either way we're talking about a back up goalie. Neither are critical pieces within their window.

Good back up goalies are available every offseason and every trade deadline. McBack is a better NHL goalie and should get the job.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I'm not even sold he gets picked up on waivers.

Though I think if he makes it through his value increases on the trade market.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think Calgary claims him. I think they should offer Toronto a 6th and say either take this or we will put in a claim

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Jason LaBarbera won it twice, I guess that makes him twice better than Sparks....

AHL goalie of the year winners over the past decade (pre-Sparks):

Grosenick, Budaj, Murray, Allen, Svedberg, Danis, Thiessen, Bernier, Schneider, Leighton.

5 busts, 2 stars, 3 regulars.

Now, which NHL draft round has a 50% chance of producing a bust, 30% chance of producing a regular and 20% chance of producing a star? (hint: about 25% of 2nd round picks go on to have NHl careers).

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Man the Leafs have a slew of backup goalies with titles, accolades, and stature that mean absolute squat to their value in trade or their ability to play in the NHL.

Well, Pickard played extremely well. I didn’t mention it because he was picked. You’re not confusing this with World Juniors? That tournament was against the NHL’s elite. He more than held his own against the top shooters in the world.

It’s not something to scoff at.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think Calgary claims him. I think they should offer Toronto a 6th and say either take this or we will put in a claim

They have to keep him on the NHL roster. Is Sparks significantly better than Rittich? Because if Calgary takes Sparks then they have to put Rittich on waivers.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Grosenick, Budaj, Murray, Allen, Svedberg, Danis, Thiessen, Bernier, Schneider, Leighton.

Now, which NHL draft round has a 50% chance of producing a bust, 30% chance of producing a regular and 20% chance of producing a star? (hint: about 25% of 2nd round picks go on to have NHl careers).

I don’t think he’s worth a 1st rnd pick, that’s a bit of a stretch. In general goalies are undervalued on the market. Based on your reasoning he should be capable of getting a 3rd though.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Well, Pickard played extremely well. I didn’t mention it because he was picked. You’re not confusing this with World Juniors? That tournament was against the NHL’s elite. He more than held his own against the top shooters in the world.

It’s not something to scoff at.
Why don’t you tell us how much that means in the NHL. Wanna also clue us in on how Sparks was the AHL Goalie of the Year? It means practically as much, ergo nothing.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I don’t think he’s worth a 1st rnd pick, that’s a bit of a stretch. In general goalies are undervalued on the market. Based on your reasoning he should be capable of getting a 3rd though.

Oh, I agree completely, and I'm not advocating for a 1st - my point is simply that he does have value, and it's more than a 6th or 7th. 3rd sounds reasonable.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

Cory Schneider21
Troy Grosenick27
Peter Budaj33
Matt Murray20
Jake Allen24
Niklas Svedberg24
Yann Denis30
Brad Thiessen25 & 27
Jonathan Bernier22
Michael Leighton27
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

Receiving accolades for you ability to play hockey means squat about your ability to play hockey?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

IMO there is a huge difference in potential between winning an AHL award in year draft+2 or draft+3 versus draft year+7....

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Receiving accolades for you ability to play hockey means squat about your ability to play hockey?
Have you seen Sparks play this preseason? Yeah I’d say AHL Goalie of the Year means about as much as I said it does, which is to say, not much.

LeafsBro

34 I 91 I 16
Oct 18, 2011
Barrie, Ontario
He might be an NHL backup one day, but definitely not right now with Mcelhinney being in that spot. I can’t imagine his value being very high at all.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site

How old were the ones that didn't bust?

Cory Schneider21
Troy Grosenick27
Peter Budaj33
Matt Murray20
Jake Allen24
Niklas Svedberg24
Yann Denis30
Brad Thiessen25 & 27
Jonathan Bernier22
Michael Leighton27
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ah beat me to the point... but clearly makes my point.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Have you seen Sparks play this preseason? Yeah I’d say AHL Goalie of the Year means about as much as I said it does, which is to say, not much.

Have I watched him play for 90 minutes? Yes. I’ve also watched him play for several full seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad