Value of: Garret Sparks

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Is that the guy who got suspended by the team because he got into a facebook argument?

If you read the details on what actually happened, and how Sparks stood up for someone who was disabled, you'd like him. The only reason he got in trouble was because of the language used and it hurt peoples feelings (he called some guy running his mouth a 13 year old girl).

Sparks did himself no favours with his last preseason game, I think if he's worth anything, he's worth a waiver claim, and that might even be a stretch. In my mind Toronto's probably better off trying waive their AHL goalies now than later in preseason because right now there really aren't any holes and teams have comparable players who they know on a personal level they also have to waive. The only way a goalie like Sparks gets claimed is if there's an injury to a backup or starter. That's why I think you do it now while everyones relatively healthy (though Neuvirth is reportedly banged up) if you want to keep the asset.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If you read the details on what actually happened, and how Sparks stood up for someone who was disabled, you'd like him. The only reason he got in trouble was because of the language used and it hurt peoples feelings (he called some guy running his mouth a 13 year old girl).

Sparks did himself no favours with his last preseason game, I think if he's worth anything, he's worth a waiver claim, and that might even be a stretch. In my mind Toronto's probably better off trying waive their AHL goalies now than later in preseason because right now there really aren't any holes and teams have comparable players who they know on a personal level they also have to waive. The only way a goalie like Sparks gets claimed is if there's an injury to a backup or starter. That's why I think you do it now while everyones relatively healthy (though Neuvirth is reportedly banged up) if you want to keep the asset.

The issue is if you waive him now claiming teams aren't force to make a decision right now. They can claim Sparks and make their decision at the end of preseason.

If you wait until the last day before rosters have to be in. He only gets claimed if some team goes into that final day without having a backup goalie they're happy with. That rarely happens. That's how Vegas got Pickard through last year when everyone thought he'd be claimed. Teams make their decisions and then don't want to take the gamble to 2nd guess that call at the last minute without any regular season sample to base their decision on.

I feel like for goalies, you're more likely to be claimed if they're on waivers now versus on the last day. Teams will make the claim knowing if they don't like the choice 7 days later then re-waive the guy they claimed with no loss. Whereas they're making the decision they have to live with by claiming them on that final day before the season starts because they have to waive their current backup at the same time.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Anderson is the #1 and Mac has done more than enough to secure a backup role, there is absolutely no chance Sparks will or should get it.

I dont know about that. If they think Sparks is ready you dont hold him back for McBackup. Yes hes been solid but hes not a part of the future.

You dont have Sparks for years then deal him when he wins best Goalie in the AHL without seeing if he can be an NHL goalie.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Anderson is the #1 and Mac has done more than enough to secure a backup role, there is absolutely no chance Sparks will or should get it.

I'd say that's a major overstatement. Especially when Sparks probably has the inside track on McElhinney. One preseason game is not going to change that...

Sparks is the better choice, and the better goalie.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I'd say that's a major overstatement. Especially when Sparks probably has the inside track on McElhinney. One preseason game is not going to change that...

Sparks is the better choice, and the better goalie.

Sparks is trash, watch his movement, if you're in the NHL in your mid 20s and you move like that, there is NO chance you're ever going to fix it.

He is far too sloppy, slow and sluggish for the NHL, he will get absolutely lit.

And just watch Mac, he's far more agile and smooth in the net, I'd rather keep him around as long as possible and eventually replace him with Pickard who has looked far better than Sparks has for the Leafs.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I dont know about that. If they think Sparks is ready you dont hold him back for McBackup. Yes hes been solid but hes not a part of the future.

You dont have Sparks for years then deal him when he wins best Goalie in the AHL without seeing if he can be an NHL goalie.

Being good in the AHL means nothing

Aldege (Baz) Bastien Memorial Award award winners at hockeydb.com

Since 2000:
9/18 are NHLers
2/18 are what I would consider to have been an excellent starter at one point (Miller, Murray)

And Sparks has a ton of technical issues that Murray and Miller did not have.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Sparks is worth very little in NHL trade value. He had never proved in can be a NHL back up. Only reason that the Leafs may keep Sparks over McIllerney is Sparks "controllable years" and youth. If the Leafs figure they need Sparks in 2019/20, they keep him as Leaf in 2018/19.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Being good in the AHL means nothing

Aldege (Baz) Bastien Memorial Award award winners at hockeydb.com

Since 2000:
9/18 are NHLers
2/18 are what I would consider to have been an excellent starter at one point (Miller, Murray)

And Sparks has a ton of technical issues that Murray and Miller did not have.

He doesn't need to come in and be the starter. He needs to come in and give Andersen some nights off while still giving the team a chance to win. You dont just throw him away to keep 35 year old McBackup. I appreciate how well hes played for Toronto but have to think long term.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Sparks is trash, watch his movement, if you're in the NHL in your mid 20s and you move like that, there is NO chance you're ever going to fix it.

He is far too sloppy, slow and sluggish for the NHL, he will get absolutely lit.

And just watch Mac, he's far more agile and smooth in the net, I'd rather keep him around as long as possible and eventually replace him with Pickard who has looked far better than Sparks has for the Leafs.

Absolutely lit... even tho he's the ONLY maple leaf goalie ever and one of a handful or less league wide who put up a wall and got a shutout in his debut. Laughable logic you have there.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Absolutely lit... even tho he's the ONLY maple leaf goalie ever and one of a handful or less league wide who put up a wall and got a shutout in his debut. Laughable logic you have there.
And then played a couple more games and hasnt been back since.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Here’s some logic for you. Where is Mike Fountain today? And what was his NHL career like? Laughable indeed. What’s laughable is Sparks having tangible NHL trade value.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Mac would bring a better return,but if the team is making a solid run this year then I would go with the proven guy...it's Macs to lose. Sparks would have to be phenomenal to take Macs job and not likely ever gonna get Freddys .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad