Value of: Garret Sparks

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Mac would bring a better return,but if the team is making a solid run this year then I would go with the proven guy...it's Macs to lose. Sparks would have to be phenomenal to take Macs job and not likely ever gonna get Freddys .

Even if Sparks isn't likely to take Freddy's job, we know Mac never will.

Freddy is a UFA in three years and Sparks is still the best chance at an internal successor right now.

Reactions: shortfuze

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Freddy is a UFA in three years and Sparks is still the best chance at an internal successor right now.

McElhinney was easy to get, you only need another one as good as him, together they would be better than Andersen

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Here’s some logic for you. Where is Mike Fountain today? And what was his NHL career like? Laughable indeed. What’s laughable is Sparks having tangible NHL trade value.

I never said anywhere he has trade value at the moment. He however does hold organizational value. Those are completely separate.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Sparks is trash, watch his movement, if you're in the NHL in your mid 20s and you move like that, there is NO chance you're ever going to fix it.

He is far too sloppy, slow and sluggish for the NHL, he will get absolutely lit.

And just watch Mac, he's far more agile and smooth in the net, I'd rather keep him around as long as possible and eventually replace him with Pickard who has looked far better than Sparks has for the Leafs.

You do realize this kinda contradicts with the OP post, right?

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Anderson is the #1 and Mac has done more than enough to secure a backup role, there is absolutely no chance Sparks will or should get it.
Sparks is much younger and f he does a suitable job I see no reason to let him go. Some goalies develop later in their careers.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
You see, we have 28 year old Fredrik Andersen, and seeing as goalies do tend to play at a higher level for longer than other positions Andersen has about 10 years in him still.

Sparks isn't needed
And what if sparks develops into a number 1 goalie? His development has been slow but stranger things have happened. And if he doesn’t you would get more in a trade over mchillenny.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And what if sparks develops into a number 1 goalie? His development has been slow but stranger things have happened. And if he doesn’t you would get more in a trade over mchillenny.

Again Andersen isn't even 30 get's another decade in him, starting goalie isn't a concern

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The issue is if you waive him now claiming teams aren't force to make a decision right now. They can claim Sparks and make their decision at the end of preseason.

If you wait until the last day before rosters have to be in. He only gets claimed if some team goes into that final day without having a backup goalie they're happy with. That rarely happens. That's how Vegas got Pickard through last year when everyone thought he'd be claimed. Teams make their decisions and then don't want to take the gamble to 2nd guess that call at the last minute without any regular season sample to base their decision on.

I feel like for goalies, you're more likely to be claimed if they're on waivers now versus on the last day. Teams will make the claim knowing if they don't like the choice 7 days later then re-waive the guy they claimed with no loss. Whereas they're making the decision they have to live with by claiming them on that final day before the season starts because they have to waive their current backup at the same time.
You are mistaken, Vegas got Subban that way, they got Pickard via the expansion draft.

Absolutely lit... even tho he's the ONLY maple leaf goalie ever and one of a handful or less league wide who put up a wall and got a shutout in his debut. Laughable logic you have there.
While his point may not be great, you are countering it with even more nonsense. Sure, Sparks had a shutout in his NHL debut, but he still had a pretty terrible time overall in the NHL that season. With a .893 sv% in 17 starts, bragging about a single shutout does nothing.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Again Andersen isn't even 30 get's another decade in him, starting goalie isn't a concern
Don’t you think it’s a bad decision to let a goalie go, who played amazing in the AHL because we have a suitable back up? What if Sparks has the ability to take the number 1 spot from Andersen. The last 2 October’s Andersen started cold and didn’t play well for a few games in the playoffs. You don’t just give up on assets because someone is in front of them. Let Sparks try to take the job away from him.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He isnt really worth much... Fringe NHL goalie with some potential. Goalies arent really worth much anyway and when you arent even a proven backup, you arent getting much for him. He is talented though

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He doesn't have much value....6-7th rounder type value.

We'll see what happens but I think he legitimately has a chance to win the backup role either way in camp. McBackup will be the heavy favorite though.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

I 'm not against trying him,but I 've never seen him as legit Freddys successor! Mac has been the perfect back-up and if Freddy went down could handle the job. Sparks would be more of a gamble this year.I doubt the Leafs want to gamble on that.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I never said anywhere he has trade value at the moment. He however does hold organizational value. Those are completely separate.
My mistake. I assumed your comment was actually relevant to THE STATED THREAD TOPIC.

All razzing aside. I essentially agree with you and don’t think either Sparks or McBackup have any tangible trade value but they’re most certainly valuable to the Leafs who, in relation to other teams around the league, could certainly find worse injury security insurance.

Reactions: Tall Morty

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You are mistaken, Vegas got Subban that way, they got Pickard via the expansion draft.

Well, I guess there was 2 ways to read that sentence I wrote because I didn't see that one until your reply.

I didn't mean how they acquired him, I meant how they successful managed to put him on and clear("get him through") waivers. By putting him on waivers at the end of camp when everyone else already had their tandem.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Anderson is the #1 and Mac has done more than enough to secure a backup role, there is absolutely no chance Sparks will or should get it.

If Sparks can't unseat a backup goalie who will be 36 years old this season that's a bit of a joke. His value can't be high at all if Toronto would rather get rid of him than replace a 36 year old back up goalie.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Absolutely lit... even tho he's the ONLY maple leaf goalie ever and one of a handful or less league wide who put up a wall and got a shutout in his debut. Laughable logic you have there.

Thankfully you have corrected him and brought some logic to this thread by pointing out this very valid fact that all but assures a solid NHL career and definite trade value.

When people realize - thanks to you - that Sparks is part of a club that includes such luminaries as Yann Danis, Troy Grosenick, Mario Gosselin, Al Montoya, Jussi Markkanen, Robbie Moore, Mike Fountain and Michael Leighton that will know how foolish they were to dismiss this obvious sign of NHL relevence.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
If Sparks can't unseat a backup goalie who will be 36 years old this season that's a bit of a joke. His value can't be high at all if Toronto would rather get rid of him than replace a 36 year old back up goalie.

Not really, when you consider Mcback up had arguably the best stats in the NHL for backup goalies. Sometimes the full story helps.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not really, when you consider Mcback up had arguably the best stats in the NHL for backup goalies. Sometimes the full story helps.

Yes, of course, McBackup's save percentage actually means he's the best back up goalie in the league and therefore it's wise to keep him instead of someone well over a decade younger.

Sounds like brilliant asset management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad