Garret Sparks - "[Kasperi Kapanen] is the fastest [player] in the world"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
To be fair, the OP also guaranteed the oilers would finish ahead of the Toronto Maple Leafs in the nhl standings this season. So we know all about their agenda

And just saw. In their last 100 or so posts, at least 5 of them had some form of “do we really need another Leaf thread on the main board?”

Ironic

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know if that's true depending on how long the race is. Top speed, sure, but would a speed skater beat an NHL player in a 1 lap race with those clunky skates? I know speed skaters get up to like 35mph but that's after settling in after a lap or two. Hockey players hit top speed in seconds.
No no, speed skaters would destroy NHL players. Not even close. Those "clunky skates" have extra long blades that those skaters can leverage for extra power.

An NHL rink is 61M x 26M. So, a full lap would be 174M . but that's if they were literally hugging the boards. In reality they cut from the side board to the net, circle the net, and cut back to the sideboard at centre on the other side. They're really covering somewhere around 140M. And they do so, in about 13.5second.

the 500M speed skating record is about 34 seconds. And they cover a FULL 500M.

So, if you multiply 140M by 3.5 you get about 490 metres. Multiply 13.5 seconds by 3.5, and you get 47 seconds. A full 13 seconds slower.

Granted, you'd have hockey players going full speed by the end of the first lap, so the subsequent laps would be faster. But surely there is no way in H - E - double hockey sticks that would make up 13 seconds in a 34 second race.

For more reference, it was news that McDavid was clocked at 40km/h last year. The top speed skaters get clocked at 53 or 54 km/h in the sprints. Like 30% faster. It really isn't close at all.

Reactions: Saltcreek

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Damn Leaf fans making all these threads on the mains... why don't they keep to their own boards??!?!

Seriously.

I know it's going to be a long and very shitty season for the Oilers but if they get annoyed by every little thing around the league and especially with the Leafs, it'll be even longer.

Guess what?

Red Wings players probably think Larkin is the fastest.
Avs players think MacKinnon.
Coyotes probably think it's Grabner.
Rangers probably think it's Kreider.
Oilers probably think it's McDavid.

It shouldn't really be a shock that Garrett Sparks who has played almost every single game with Kapanen on the Marlies or the Leafs thinks that Kapanen is really fast.

It's subjective unless we do a thorough test.

There are two kinds of fast players in the league:

Those who are really fast but can't do much with it at that speed and those who are really fast and can. There are very few players of the latter category and McDavid, MacKinnon, Hall etc are probably at the top of the list.

Reactions: Max Money

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Seriously.

I know it's going to be a long and very ****ty season for the Oilers but if they get annoyed by every little thing around the league and especially with the Leafs, it'll be even longer.

Guess what?

Red Wings players probably think Larkin is the fastest.
Avs players think MacKinnon.
Coyotes probably think it's Grabner.
Rangers probably think it's Kreider.
Oilers probably think it's McDavid.

It shouldn't really be a shock that Garrett Sparks who has played almost every single game with Kapanen on the Marlies or the Leafs thinks that Kapanen is really fast.

It's subjective unless we do a thorough test.
Well, looking at that list, maybe he's in the running for fastest player on a playoff team?

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
To be fair, the OP also guaranteed the oilers would finish ahead of the Toronto Maple Leafs in the nhl standings this season. So we know all about their agenda

And just saw. In their last 100 or so posts, at least 5 of them had some form of “do we really need another Leaf thread on the main board?”

Ironic

I wish this could be stickied.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Tough to say who is the fastest but he’s definitely up there.

Visually, McDavid seems to create a greater contrast than everyone else.. A handful of guys seem to be competing for 2nd place from what I see.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Just a goalie pumping his teammate's tires, happens all the time.

Of course it's not true but I'm not going to hold it against Sparks for saying it. :laugh:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Kappy maybe the fastest...... of the second place guys lol

Just a teammate pumping tires, but love the way Kappy is playing.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Paul Byron is probably faster than him + McDavid is the undisputed #1 (without the puck & with the puck on his tape)

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
This thread is still around? Sparks made a comment and was obviously exaggerating and some people take it to heart. Relax, it wasn't a "matter of fact" comment.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
No no, speed skaters would destroy NHL players. Not even close. Those "clunky skates" have extra long blades that those skaters can leverage for extra power.

An NHL rink is 61M x 26M. So, a full lap would be 174M . but that's if they were literally hugging the boards. In reality they cut from the side board to the net, circle the net, and cut back to the sideboard at centre on the other side. They're really covering somewhere around 140M. And they do so, in about 13.5second.

So, if you multiply 140M by 3.5 you get about 490 metres. Multiply 13.5 seconds by 3.5, and you get 47 seconds. A full 13 seconds slower.

Granted, you'd have hockey players going full speed by the end of the first lap, so the subsequent laps would be faster. But surely there is no way in H - E - double hockey sticks that would make up 13 seconds in a 34 second race.

For more reference, it was news that McDavid was clocked at 40km/h last year. The top speed skaters get clocked at 53 or 54 km/h in the sprints. Like 30% faster. It really isn't close at all.
Well, I already said that speed skaters top speed is clearly faster. What I said is that in one lap, on an NHL rink I think an NHL player might win.

You're taking numbers based on NHL players going around a much smaller rink where like a third of that is the turn which is very tight and in your 3.5 laps scenario would have to manage that turn 7 times compared to a speed skating rink where most of the rink is straight and the 2 turns they have aren't tight at all so they are able to maintain speed.

In short track skating the surface is 112m which is pretty close to what NHL players skate when they move the nets up above the crease in the skills competition so that might be a better comparison. Apolo Ohno won the gold in 2006 with a time of 41.935 which comes out to an average of 26.6mph but that's with 4.5 laps where he was able to get to and maintain top speed and his first lap was his slowest. Ohno's first lap time from what I can find was right around 11 seconds which comes out to an average of 22.8mph or 36.7kph. Considering McDavid's 40kph comes out to 25mph I think in one lap on NHL ice, he might win or it would at least be much closer than you're implying. There's no question that an NHL player would get blown away in a long race, nobody is debating that.

Either way, it's an interesting idea and would be cool to see.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
People are laughing but in reality he is really fast. Difference between him and guys like Mackinnon and McDavid is they can control the puck at high speeds.

I remember watching Nate at 16 and was so impressed at his acceleration.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

Those are much, much tighter corners, NHL players are wearing inferior skates for speed skating (as you mentioned), NHL players are wearing lots of gear, and NHL players are not using aerodynamically-optimized equipment.

It's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

And, while I'm certain the world's fastest speed skaters would still be faster than the fastest NHL players on a speed skating course with speed skating gear (apples-to-apples), it wouldn't be a 13 second difference.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
This thread is still around? Sparks made a comment and was obviously exaggerating and some people take it to heart. Relax, it wasn't a "matter of fact" comment.
Still around? The thread was started last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad