Garret Sparks - "[Kasperi Kapanen] is the fastest [player] in the world"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Well...that confirms it. Sparks said he's the fastest so it's gotta be true

Sparks has got to be the first player in NHL history to pump his own teammate's tires. :sarcasm:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Well, I already said that speed skaters top speed is clearly faster. What I said is that in one lap, on an NHL rink I think an NHL player might win.

You're taking numbers based on NHL players going around a much smaller rink where like a third of that is the turn which is very tight and in your 3.5 laps scenario would have to manage that turn 7 times compared to a speed skating rink where most of the rink is straight and the 2 turns they have aren't tight at all so they are able to maintain speed.

In short track skating the surface is 112m which is pretty close to what NHL players skate when they move the nets up above the crease in the skills competition so that might be a better comparison. Apolo Ohno won the gold in 2006 with a time of 41.935 which comes out to an average of 26.6mph but that's with 4.5 laps where he was able to get to and maintain top speed and his first lap was his slowest. Ohno's first lap time from what I can find was right around 11 seconds which comes out to an average of 22.8mph or 36.7kph. Considering McDavid's 40kph comes out to 25mph I think in one lap on NHL ice, he might win or it would at least be much closer than you're implying. There's no question that an NHL player would get blown away in a long race, nobody is debating that.

Either way, it's an interesting idea and would be cool to see.

It really wouldn't be close. i think you underestimate how fast speed skaters hit top speed (which, again, is 30% faster). 30%. that's a lot.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
McDavid is the fastest player ever within the context of a hockey game. But Kapanen is pretty damn fast. More so without the puck.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
It really wouldn't be close. i think you underestimate how fast speed skaters hit top speed (which, again, is 30% faster). 30%. that's a lot.
Did you not just read what I wrote? The average speed of Apolo Ohno's first lap in his Olympic gold 500m short track win was slower than McDavid's top speed which he hits extremely quickly. This was on a track which is very similar to the size of the track in an NHL skills competition, not one huge 500m track where they don't have to worry about managing any tight turns.

I have never said that an NHL player's top speed is as fast as an Olympic speed skater, I said on NHL ice it would be close in a 1 lap race and the numbers agree.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Good point. Maybe I should stop logging in and out of HF, because I feel like I've seen this thread for a week.

Regardless, my point was this shouldn't even be a thread.
That I can agree with. People post this stuff knowing it's going to get a reaction.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Why would you even bother making this thread?

You can't s*** on Leafs fans for making dumb threads meanwhile you do the same thing.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Did you not just read what I wrote? The average speed of Apolo Ohno's first lap in his Olympic gold 500m short track win was slower than McDavid's top speed which he hits extremely quickly. This was on a track which is very similar to the size of the track in an NHL skills competition, not one huge 500m track where they don't have to worry about managing any tight turns.

I have never said that an NHL player's top speed is as fast as an Olympic speed skater, I said on NHL ice it would be close in a 1 lap race and the numbers agree.
a short track speed skating track is nothign like an NHL rink. Nothing.

It would not be close.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
McDavid is the fastest player ever within the context of a hockey game. But Kapanen is pretty damn fast. More so without the puck.

That we know of, go back 50 years and people would preach about the legendary Howie Morenz whos reputation was built off of skating faster than anyone else, kinda just like McDavid.

AdvelPill

May 8, 2016
Leaf Fans:
"God, everyone making these Leafs threads to bash the Leafs."

Also Leafs Fans:
"Better make 4-5 threads on the main forum alone to mock Jets and Sens."

Yup. We have a group meeting every week and we collectively decide which threads we're gonna complain about, and which one's we're gonna bash other teams on.

Apr 27, 2016
Offtopic:
There is a video in Youtube where MacKinnon goes head to head with Olympic speed skater. They race from blueline to blueline. MacK wins by an inch. It's so close that in the next race speed skater could win.

Ontopic: Kapanen is really really fast, but I dont think he is the fastest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad