Gardiner or Rielly?

leafstilldeath*

Keep both. PMDs do not grow on trees. KEEP BOTH!!! No excuses

SteveV*

Everyone will pick Morgan because he's new, shiny and we can project more onto him, but Gardiner was our top D in the playoffs by the time we hit game 7, THIS point and he's still a work in progress. Who knows Jake's ultimate ceiling.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Everyone will pick Morgan because he's new, shiny and we can project more onto him, but Gardiner was our top D in the playoffs by the time we hit game 7, THIS point and he's still a work in progress. Who knows Jake's ultimate ceiling.

If you compare Gardiner as a prospect at 19, to Rielly as a prospect at 19...the picture becomes a lot clearer, and this with Rielly having missed an year of development.

SteveV*

If you compare Gardiner as a prospect at 19, to Rielly as a prospect at 19...the picture becomes a lot clearer, and this with Rielly having missed an year of development.

Yes, with Morgan our imagination is more vivid, my counter would be that if he's our best D in the playoffs at Gardiner's age that will be considered success. I love Morgan too btw.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
we have zero incentive to move either... i'd keep em' both

only way gardiner goes is for a stud young cente coming back

gardiner obvuously should have been a top 5 pick ......start there and not SAM GAGNER .
RNH MAYBE

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
ha... I wouldn't mind having 6 of those types of dmen and going out on an all out attack 80s Oilers style.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Both of them, obviously. I wonder if Pens fans are dumb enough to make these stupid polls like 'Crosby or Malkin', as if they have to choose one and bash the other.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I don't know about all this, who would you who wouldn't you pick type stuff.

I do know however that I would love to see both of them on the PP together some day.

A combination of Kessel, JvR, Gardiner, Rielly and a centre of some description sounds like a great 1st line PP.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
A loaded question because one has made the NHL and the other hasn't. Of the two, assuming he continues to develop, it has to be Reilly. He is a far better physical specimen at 19 than Gardiner and has at least a shot at developing into a player that does more than attack.

To those who keep saying both, how do you fit them into a lineup? Dion doesn't need to be babysitting a gambling partner, and it is a waste to have a high quality offense guy in the third pairing. I might pair one of them with Franson, because he has at least got size, but a Rielly/Gardiner pair would either be a bit too soft, or be spending too much time in the other teams end, or one player may have to back off of his key asset to support the other player's attacking game, so it devalues him.
However, it would not hurt to let them both play for long enough to establish that one is in fact the more talented player. It just seems for the long term three offensive types doesn't maximize the value of a high skill player, the same way that two does. sort of like center ice men.

onemorecup*

only way gardiner goes is for a stud young cente coming back

gardiner obvuously should have been a top 5 pick ......start there and not SAM GAGNER .
RNH MAYBE

u arent getting a young stud C for jake , not a chance

Jake is not even a regular yet and Carlyle doesnt trust him in his own zone

he is a weak defender and is too soft to ever be a very good defender , solid skills but you aren`t arent getting RNH not a chance

The Oils wont give up RNH for Letang for that matter

stop overating prospects , whatever happended to the these future cant miss players , Colbourne and Aulie who will never be anything in this league

Jake has talent but needs to be paired with a premier shut down D like Staal and Morgan the way better prospect has way more overall upside

he is the one that might land you the center you want not Jake

onemorecup*

ha... I wouldn't mind having 6 of those types of dmen and going out on an all out attack 80s Oilers style.

and lose 14-8 everynight , 6 of those will land you in the lottery every year

its like having 6 Mike Ribeiero`s and expect to win

you need a a team like the Hawks and Bruins with 20 players playing a role for the chance to win

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just for the record Franson was our best defenceman in the playoffs. Not Gardiner. The hyperbole is working overtime here.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
need to see rielly play a full season before i can make judgement on him so for now gardiner. both will most likely be kept on our team since they fit the time frame for our core.

Mar 26, 2010
Keep both!

2 very skilled young D men!

If I have to pick you go with Gardiner.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would like to see the Leafs keep both Gardiner and Rielly because I think they will be a better team with both them in the lineup.

However if I had to choose between them I would take Rielly because I think he will become an elite level Defensman in the future, although that's not to say Gardiner won't also become one.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Rielly is really over hyped, he's not even that amazing if you've seen him play lol. He's having a tough time adjusting to the pro level

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Just for the record Franson was our best defenceman in the playoffs. Not Gardiner. The hyperbole is working overtime here.

Not a chance. He was great and I'm a huge fan of Franson but Gardiner was hands down, indisputably, by far our best player in that series. Even his struggles in his own end completely disappeared. An absolutely magnificent showcase of how good he can potentially be.

If we trade Gardiner I might cry.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
:laugh: @ people choosing both when OP clearly states you have to pretend you can't.

On that basis, I keep Rielly and trade Gards for a good return. It would be with a very heavy heart though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad