Gardiner or Rielly?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
When Rielly finally cracks the lineup, we'll presumably have 3 puck moving defenceman (assuming Liles isn't bought out or traded). This poll is just meant to see who Leafs fan would rather trade, if they had to make a decision to move one at this point. It's not talking about who we'd move him for, or the value - but based on what Gardiner has already accomplished and Rielly's limited sample size & potential - who would you be more likely to move?

It's just a hypothetical situation, as I want to see who has more value to the Leafs organization (in fans minds) at this point. I don't want people to say why do we have to move one? Or I don't want to move either! Or mention how we could keep both, it's just hypothetical.

Which would you rather have?

Note: The poll is who would you rather keep.

Edit: Since everyone's picking both - I'll add another twist...

Gun to your head, you have to pick one. If you pick both - you die, but allow the Leafs to keep both of their defencemen.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Keep the proven NHLer

It's close. I was going to vote for Gardiner as well because he's more proven, and had a better rookie season with the Marlies. Gardiner looked more comfortable than Rielly did this with the Marlies in his rookie season, but Rielly is younger than Gardiner was with a higher ceiling. Jake Gardiner is the safer bet to keep, while Rielly is the more likely boom/bust prospect - which is why I wanted to see who the fans would prefer.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
I like Jake but I'd pick Rielly every day of the week. He's much farther ahead of his peer group

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I like Jake but I'd pick Rielly every day of the week. He's much farther ahead of his peer group

Exactly.

Compare Gardiner to his peer group. Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Bogosian, Carlson, MDZ, Myers, Schultz, Hamonic, Josi, Voynov, etc are all from his draft class. All of them except for maybe Josi (and thats debateable) have proven more at the NHL level than Gardiner has.

From Riellys draft class? At this point, Trouba is the only guy Id take over Rielly. Rielly for his age is head and shoulders above most of his peers in a draft that was also D heavy.

Disgruntled Observer*

Why is there no 'Both' option? Either way, both.

Uh... did you read the original post?
It said that, in a hypothetical situation where we can only keep one, who would it be?
Your answer is "both"? If we HAD to choose "one", you'd choose "both".
Wow.
Speechless.

Anyways...
Rielly, no contest.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
images

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Keep both. Its not as if we have 6 PMD,we'd have 2 long term with Liles probably moving this season or next. One of our bigger problems this playoffs was not being able to move the puck quick enough to get out of our zone. That showed why Liles was rather important to the Leafs while fans wouldn't acknowledge it. Rielly and Gardiner are going to help ,we just need 1 very good shut down guy to play with Dion and of course the emergence of Rielly

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'd keep both... 2 Puck moving d-men would be ideal ...because you can pair them with less talented easier to find stay at home, or 2-way d-men and always have a threat on the ice.

eventually our top 4 can be:
Reilly - Finn
Gardner - Percy

...and there is nothing wrong with that, not to mention, a bottom pairing of
Franson-Blacker. :)

when forced to pick, Reilly is the easy selection, more top end talent

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I'm assuming that the people who are choosing both, are trolling instead of having reading comprehension issues.

Either way, I'd keep Rielly. He's a few years younger than Gardiner; I think he has a lot of potential.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
And another one of these threads. Couldn't this hypothetical question just have been asked in the other Rielly or Gardiner thread?

I think moving one would be a dumb move since you risk another Rask debacle. See what you have and then discuss which one to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad