Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I started playing Cloudpunk. It's set in a large futuristic city in the sky that people get around in via flying cars. If you've ever wanted to dodge traffic and buildings like in The Fifth Element, this is the game for you. The flying is fun, the city feels alive, the atmosphere is great and the voxel-like art style is very appealing. I'm really digging the cockpit view that the developers recently added. That and the 1st person walking mode give a nice sense of immersion (though you can also go with 3rd person for both).

Unfortunately, there isn't much to the gameplay. Each mission involves picking up a package and taking it to its destination, with dialogue triggers at various points that develop the story. It's like a cross between Euro Truck Simulator and a story-driven walking simulator. The only challenge (if you can call it that) is avoiding traffic and finding a way to your destination. So, it's a casual game, which is fine, but I'm finding the story to be uninteresting and mostly irritating. The voiceovers don't sound natural, you usually can't skip them and you often have to wait them out to find out where to go next. If you're going to make me listen to 5 minutes of boring conversation between my character and another, give me the waypoint first, so that I can listen (or not) while I'm making my way to it, instead of banging my head on the steering wheel while parked. Little things like that go a long way in game design, but it feels like this may be the developers' first game and they didn't think the game design out from the beginning. It's like they created this lively world with a great aesthetic and atmosphere and then tried to think up some gameplay. It's a shame because there could've been a really awesome game here if the gameplay were as good as the style.

Still, in spite of the major issues that I have and quitting out of disgust each time, I keep loading it up because the world and the driving are cool. It scratches that cyberpunk/The Fifth Element/Blade Runner itch and there aren't enough games that do. I can't really recommend it, personally, but most reviews are much better, so it seems like I'm in the minority. If you need something to occupy yourself until Cyberpunk 2077 (or if your machine can't handle that), you might look into it. Just don't expect anywhere close to the same level of gameplay or story. It's for Windows, XB1, PS4 and Switch.

Last edited:

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I tried Dragon Age: Inquisition (Xbox One S) again but it still doesn't take.

Gameplay? Nothing I haven't seen many times before.

Story? See above.

Characters? Oh look - it's the ubiquitous mouthy female commander who's trust I have to earn. And a corrupt member of the "establishment". And an earthy druid. And a wisecracking dwarf. Yawn.

Sorry to be so harsh. I'm sure this game fared much better among younger gamers who haven't been through the tropes so many times. But it's not for me anymore.

virothepyro

#lydia2012
Jan 11, 2009
have been heavily into hearts of iron 4 lately, though discovered last night that well it is cross platform... the cross platform is currently broken

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The last week or so I’ve been playing a ton of Metroid: Samus Returns (the remake of Metroid II released a couple years ago).

I bought it a while ago when it came out but hadn’t started playing it until now. Never thought I’d get much more use out of my 3DS but now I can hardly put it down.

Hell of a game. For a remake of a 30 year old Game Boy game, they did an amazing job. One of the best-looking 3DS games I’ve seen, and the gameplay is tight and smooth. It’s an excellent 2D Metroid, up there with Super Metroid.

I know everyone loves the Prime games, but I’d love to see 2D Metroids like this also live on with new installments on Switch. It’s a winning formula.

Reactions: NinjaKick

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Man Surge 2 is so good, but there so many load screens while the original had almost none. Also, maybe it's me but the character models look significantly worse than the original. I remember being genuinely stunned by the originals visuals, though maybe that's cause I played it on a 1080p tv.

Also, this game does something that for some reason no other souls game or souls like has done that I've seen. They actually scale the upgrade level of the weapons that drop from the enemies to the point in the game you're at. I don't know why other games don't do this.

I mean ideally all weapons would just be useable at lvl 1 upgrade but in my experience you're just relegated yourself to hours of grinding to level up a weapon moveset you like and make useable in most souls games.

In the surge 2 most weapons have their place.

dineloamokounia

Dec 17, 2020
I am more into mobile games because I spend way too much time on public transport. Mcoc is an all-time favorite, and now 7DS GC is a fresh style of RPG I am f2p by the way, but I also enjoy betting on the go

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Played some Cyberpunk, but I've decided to wait until I get a 3070. Jumped back into Sekiro and finally managed to complete mortal journey gauntlet, now I can say I've truly mastered the game.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Cat Quest 2

Don't laugh, the original was surprisingly great and I picked it up on sale a few weeks ago and started playing it last night. Just a pretty competent, but watered down, action RPG with a core aesthetic gimmick that should get old but somehow doesn't.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I started playing Ryse: Son of Rome. It's one of the original Xbox One launch titles but even being 7 years old, the graphics are great. It still compares with games being launched today IMO. The gameplay is pretty fun, it reminds me of the Batman: Arkham games minus the gadgets. I know it had mixed reviews when it came out, but I'm guessing most of it was because it was very linear and short. Fine with me since that's what I'm looking for now. It's even on sale on Steam for $3 right now, can't go wrong, although I picked it up probably a year or two ago already.

Cat Quest 2

Don't laugh, the original was surprisingly great and I picked it up on sale a few weeks ago and started playing it last night. Just a pretty competent, but watered down, action RPG with a core aesthetic gimmick that should get old but somehow doesn't.
I never really cared if a game had cute aesthetics or not. It looks like it's a pretty fun game. I actually have the first, probably from an indie bundle. I'll give it a shot.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Cat Quest 2

No judgement. My wife and I loved playing through it on the Switch in co-op mode. Some of the most fun we had on the console.

I’m currently playing Immortals Fenyx Rising on the PC. I picked it up due to morbid curiosity and a sale price stacking with a coupon on the Epic game store. It’s borrowing pretty heavily from BOTW but I’m having a good time thus far. It looks amazing in 1440p in HDR on my aging i5 4690k and 1070ti setup. If anyone’s on the fence due to the mixed reviews, I don’t regret the $30 I spent on it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
DOOM Eternal

Man even on hurt me plenty this game is super hard. Way more difficult than doom 2016.

Ninja Gaidden 2 Sigma Streamed on PS Now

I got a year of PS Now for $60 canadian on black friday and I have to say Ive really got my moneys worth. I probably consider this the best ninja gaiden so far. With that said, I'm shocked how good it is over streaming. The input lag is really good and the streaming quality while clearly having some very minor macroblocking and softness, is hiccup free and holds its quality regardless of whats going on screen. It will never replace native gaming, but its a cheap alternative to plugging in the ps3 and buying these games. Which I have done in the past.

Heavenly Sword and Infamous 1, also streamed on PS Now

Man its weird looking back now how similar the early ps3 games were to ps2 graphics. The character models were alright, but everything else really does look like a ps2 game. I like infamous, but not really enough to replay it anymore and Heavenly sword kind of sucks tbh.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Has anyone played “Fenyx Rising”? Just saw the trailer for it b/c it’s on sale right now.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I started playing Crown Trick. It's a roguelite turn based action RPG. I'm not a big fan of roguelites by any means and I can count the ones I truly enjoyed on one hand. That being said, I think this will be another to add to my short list. The game is fantastic. I only gave it a shot because it's turn based and the amount to pay attention to awesome. I love taking my time and looking at all my options, seeing how the environment around me can be used for or against me. Little things like having barrels of water on the floor you can break and then cast a lightning spell to deal damage over a large area or pushing enemies into fire or baiting enemies to explosive barrels and blowing them. I'm only an hour in, finished the first 2 levels on my second try. I very rarely see roguelites to completion and can usually tell in the first hour if I ever will. This is one that I think I will complete.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
After the whole Cyberpunk shitshow it's back to the basic things in life

IRacing.png

Noita_game_logo.jpg

Both games are similar in how frustrating they are and also how they are both infinite

Last edited:

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Has anyone played “Fenyx Rising”? Just saw the trailer for it b/c it’s on sale right now.

Just got it this weekend, probably 7 hours in. I'm really liking it. It is a game that borrows heavily from other games. Obviously the map layout, art style and you can go anywhere are going to feel like they are pulled from BOTW. I haven't played an Assassins' Creed recently but apparently some of the other features are similar to that. But i think everything it takes from other games it does better. Combat is better than BOTW, I've done one dungeon (end cap of a region similar to divine beast) and i think it was more enjoyable than any divine beast puzzle in BOTW. A decent size skill tree for weapon moves, abilities and potions. Weapon and armor level ups (you level up weapon types rather than the each weapon, each weapon has an additional ability or you can also use each as transmog). One thing BOTW did possible better was the side characters you would meet along your travels, because of the story (you are the only mortal who wasn't turned to stone) there really arent any travelers on the road. There are levels simlar to shrines in BOTW, i think there done well. And the first will even make you think they copied it straight from BOTW but as i have gotten farther and gotten more abilities they feel more unique. Story wise i think it where it really shines. Its based on Greek Mythology so i think being a fan of it will help your enjoyment. The premise is Prometheus is telling your story to Zeus as its on going (narrating your gameplay). Alot of humor, but think Dad jokes, if the dad was Zeus. Lot of poking fun at the craziness of Greek Mythology. Also, issue wise. My game crashed once on PS5, i didnt lose any progress and i havent run into any bugs or visual issues.

TL/DR: When you first start it will feel like the trailer shows, BOTW set in Greek Mythology. If you can get past that it takes things from other games, its worth it (at the sale price it is now). I think the game takes around 30 hours to beat.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Destiny 2 (X/S) and Rainbow Six: Siege (X/S) as always.

The odd couch multiplayer game of Tetris Connected (X/S) with the gf as well.

Downloaded Days Gone for free on PS5, as it was one of the few games in their PSN gold offering that I both didn't already own and was mildly interesting. Thus far it's inoffensive but pretty bland. My favorite part of the game is just riding the motorcycle around in quiet, relatively scenic environments, lol.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Just picked up Bloodborne yesterday for real cheap. Huge fan of Sekiro and the Souls games but never got around to Bloodborne. It’s punishing so far. Probably played 2 hours to make 15 minutes worth of progress.

Reactions: mmalady

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad