Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I started Outer Wilds on Sunday night and have absolutely no idea what's going on. I think I'm 5 hours into it now? I kind of love it so far.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Bloodborne

Yes, I'm very late to the party. I needed a somewhat new gaming experience I guess. Dark Souls 1 and 2 are my best buds favorite games and I've watched him play those for hours but never really felt like those were for me, only tried them once or twice. After having seen the trailers for the Demon Souls PS5 remake I figured, well, let's give BB a shot, it's cheap and always mentioned as a top5ish PS4 game, couldn't go wrong right? Wow, what a game it is, now, I've only had a couple of short sessions but I'm so glad I finally gave it a shot. Held it off for years due to being unsure of the difficulty and RPG parts.
I'm still in Central Yarnham and haven't even beat any boss, only met the Cleric Beast on the bridge and gotten killed a couple of times, been farming for blood echoes and leveling up since so I might just have a chance now, a couple of more molotovs should do it I think.

Any noob tips would be appreciated.

Tips for boss strategy are littered all over the internets, so I'll spare you my thoughts on defeating Cleric Beast. It's definitely a challenge as a first boss, if you get completely stuck there is no shame in getting some google tips on how to defeat him (also ... you don't necessarily have to beat him at all).

My suggestion though, is keep the googling to a minimum and focused only when you're stuck on a particular section and are at your wits end. Keep everything else as blind as possible and try and figure things out yourself. It's an amazing game and discovering things without guides is (or was for me) insanely rewarding. I found the hunter axe to be the best starting trick weapon of the game and generally one of the best in the game. Have fun (and then play Sekiro, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls)!

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is fantastic.

That is all.

I second this wholeheartedly. Started it yesterday after a stressful week and just wanted to give it a quick look before going to bed, ended up playing 5 hours.
The way the known Yakuza Craziness meshes with some JRPG influences just works in a way for me that I could not have anticipated

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is fantastic.

That is all.

I was planning on waiting until I got one of the new consoles before diving in there, especially since the entire Yakuza series has been stewing in my backlog without ever really moving up (I'm endlessly intrigued by all the weird Japaneseness of it all and the side stuff, but brawlers were the original 'not for me' genre). The inexplicable genre switch seems made to get me to actually start paying attention to the series.

Not sure when I'll actually get around to starting it, but I'm excited to be legitimately excited about a Yakuza game.

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin and Fuser are my games of the moment.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I was planning on waiting until I got one of the new consoles before diving in there, especially since the entire Yakuza series has been stewing in my backlog without ever really moving up (I'm endlessly intrigued by all the weird Japaneseness of it all and the side stuff, but brawlers were the original 'not for me' genre). The inexplicable genre switch seems made to get me to actually start paying attention to the series.
You should start right now ;)
It actually reminds me quite a bit of persona. Social stats, some large sections of story, companions you get to spend time with and turn based fighting.
But then again, so far there is no time management and it feels like more of an open world. And the side content is just awesome in its Japanese weirdness :D

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Started up South Park: Fractured But Whole and I'm having a blast so far. Glad I picked "other" gender so I can fight the rednecks that come in saying "We don't take too kindly to you gender neutral type!" and in the fight say "It sure was a good idea to pick a fight with these kids!"

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Started up South Park: Fractured But Whole and I'm having a blast so far. Glad I picked "other" gender so I can fight the rednecks that come in saying "We don't take too kindly to you gender neutral type!" and in the fight say "It sure was a good idea to pick a fight with these kids!"
Yep it's awesome. The DLC is pretty good too if you're on the fence on getting it.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
It actually reminds me quite a bit of persona. Social stats, some large sections of story, companions you get to spend time with and turn based fighting.
But then again, so far there is no time management and it feels like more of an open world. And the side content is just awesome in its Japanese weirdness :D

And the main character is so much more enjoyable and likeable than the previous. I'm in Chapter 5 now and really digging it.

EDIT: Not that I didn't like Kiryu, but Ichiban is more ... I don't know ... dynamic? I do miss Majima though.

Last edited:

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
And the main character is so much more enjoyable and likeable than the previous. I'm in Chapter 5 now and really digging it.
I am in chapter 3, stuck with just discovering the area, wasting time collecting trash cans, playing shogi and everything else. But I do like the main story so far, Nanba made a great impression on me as a character

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Yep it's awesome. The DLC is pretty good too if you're on the fence on getting it.
I picked it up with the season pass a few months ago on Steam when it was all 90% off. I remember seeing mixed reviews on it and it always scared me off. When I saw the whole game with the DLC for less than $10, I knew I had to grab it. I'm glad I did, I should have played this earlier. I'm already like 6 hours in, been playing the whole day. There's so many great references to different episodes in here.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Tips for boss strategy are littered all over the internets, so I'll spare you my thoughts on defeating Cleric Beast. It's definitely a challenge as a first boss, if you get completely stuck there is no shame in getting some google tips on how to defeat him (also ... you don't necessarily have to beat him at all).

My suggestion though, is keep the googling to a minimum and focused only when you're stuck on a particular section and are at your wits end. Keep everything else as blind as possible and try and figure things out yourself. It's an amazing game and discovering things without guides is (or was for me) insanely rewarding. I found the hunter axe to be the best starting trick weapon of the game and generally one of the best in the game. Have fun (and then play Sekiro, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls)!

Couldn’t agree more with this general thought. I did it for Hollow Knight and recently when I played BOTW for the first time a few months ago. Except for the stuff I’m just completely stumped on, it’s way more rewarding to figure it out yourself. Even if it takes time.

Otherwise you’re hardly playing. You’re having your hand held for you through the game via internet advice. There were some shrines in BOTW that I just couldn’t figure out after 45+ minutes and I hit a total dead end in HK that I needed help with. Other than that I try and keep it to a minimum. Way more of an engaging experience that way.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Is the story basically unconnected from the main series? I've been holding off in part because I still have 3-6 to play and in part because they tend to get cheap relatively quickly and I have a number of games to get to first, but the description in this thread and the fact that it's going for $50 right now is tempting me.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
Is the story basically unconnected from the main series? I've been holding off in part because I still have 3-6 to play and in part because they tend to get cheap relatively quickly and I have a number of games to get to first, but the description in this thread and the fact that it's going for $50 right now is tempting me.
There are some minor nods to the previous games and some fan service but as far as I can tell ( I am not that deep into the story yet) the story is independent from its predecessors

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I guess I posted in the wrong thread. I put this in the PS5 thread, but Spider-Man Miles Morales is incredible. I’m not a superhero guy at all, but I will definitely finish this and probably do a new game+ run.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I guess I posted in the wrong thread. I put this in the PS5 thread, but Spider-Man Miles Morales is incredible. I’m not a superhero guy at all, but I will definitely finish this and probably do a new game+ run.
If you haven't played the Spiderman game that came out previously for the PS4, I'd recommend that as well. I haven't played Morales yet, so can't compare them, but the previous game was super fun.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If you haven't played the Spiderman game that came out previously for the PS4, I'd recommend that as well. I haven't played Morales yet, so can't compare them, but the previous game was super fun.
I didn’t. Like I said, not a superhero guy at all. Only played this because it came with my PS5 bundle. I’ve heard there are some bricking issues with the PS4 Spider-Man being played on the PS5 so I’m going to stay away from it for now, but I definitely have plans to play it when they get that sorted out.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
There are some minor nods to the previous games and some fan service but as far as I can tell ( I am not that deep into the story yet) the story is independent from its predecessors

Thanks, I may cave and just grab it. That's my impression too. I started 3 and didn't really like it all that much, even though the location was a nice shift. I like the beat 'em up style but it does get repetitive at times, so the turn-based gameplay is pretty appealing to me.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich

EDIT: Not that I didn't like Kiryu, but Ichiban is more ... I don't know ... dynamic? I do miss Majima though.

The side quest with the first time using Pound-Mates just had me in tears of laughter, I really, really like this game and the group of Ichiban, Nanba and Akechi is awesome in my opinion.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Picked up Like a Dragon, WatchDogs and AC:V at Target. ACV is my least favorite of the 3, which I was not expecting.

I am in love with Like a Dragon, though. It's my personal GOTY.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Re-installed Civilization 5.....expanding Bismarck's German Empire. I forgot how good CIV 5 is...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad