Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah Yakuza is boring af.

Started Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom for Switch. About 4 hours in and its pretty dope.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Was playing RDR2, quite liked the open world aspects of the game, found I could sink quite a few hours into my version of Arthur Morgan. However, started running into more bottlenecks where it feels I can only progress being RockStar’s Arthur Morgan. And while I recognize that is the true character, I don’t really enjoy playing as him. Therefore, at the start of Chapter 4, I decide to switch games. Will see if I return to finish the story.

Switched over to Assassins Creed Odyssey. Much like Origins, though like this character better. In part because they have mostly done away with the farce that you are playing as a good character. Honestly, this Kassandra is a terrible person, who would have fit right in with her enemies.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Final Fantasy XIV
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam
Spelunky

Next patch in FF XIV drops Aug 11th and I wanted to get my Bard to 80 and geared up a bit before it landed. Also to get a few Ruby weapons as well.

Rising Storm 2 is the shooter I generally go to now whenever I'm in the mood (Or sometimes Star Wars Battlefront II). It's a more realistic style shooter where you can't just run and gun and do well.

I've had Spelunky for a while and I thought it was time to finally try it out. I haven't played much of it yet but I am enjoying it so far!

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Running through Metro: Exodus. The latest chapter in the Metro: 2033 series of post-apocalyptic Russian FPS monster slaughter, we move out of the titular Moscow Metro, and into the countryside as the game goes from linear underground dungeon stomp to the open world format above ground, and not always for the better. For one, it badly needs a fast travel system that doesn't exist. Two, the series still isn't very good at giving you quest reminders so there's a lot of aimless wandering at times, punctuated by random attacks by mobs of bullet-sponge zombies, mutants and various bad guys. Three, it introducing crafting with your gear, weapons and ammo, and now you have to worry about your AK-47 jamming during gunfights because you didn't clean it enough. Fun! That said, if you liked the other Metro games, you should like this. Decent FPS action, now in more varied settings.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Continuing through Metro Exodus. Only a few areas are open world. There's still plenty of linear dungeon crawling, combat on rails where things randomly take shots at you that you can't dodge, and scrounging for ammo. Oh, and it's totally possible to break quests by killing or knocking quest givers unconscious before they unlock the next objective and to get stuck behind random objects, both of which require reloading. Better hope the autosave system was kind to you; usually it loves to save just when you're low on everything and one shot away from death. Also those save files can get corrupted.

Russian workmanship on display.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I was doing so well with getting through the backlog, especially because 'boycotted' sports games this year. Then EA access was only 2 dollars Canadian for one month and I lost all hope in completing the story-driven games I have yet to beat.

Been hoping to go through the Master Chief Collection as I have never played Halo, looking like that will be my next game!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I was doing so well with getting through the backlog, especially because 'boycotted' sports games this year. Then EA access was only 2 dollars Canadian for one month and I lost all hope in completing the story-driven games I have yet to beat.

Been hoping to go through the Master Chief Collection as I have never played Halo, looking like that will be my next game!

Lotsa great sales on PSN store right now.

I bought F1 2019 and NHL 20 for about $30. Still might grab FIFA 20 and Madden 20 to round out my sports collection.

Really getting into F1.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Lotsa great sales on PSN store right now.

I bought F1 2019 and NHL 20 for about $30. Still might grab FIFA 20 and Madden 20 to round out my sports collection.

Really getting into F1.
I hear F1 is really good. It's also one of the only sports game I have not played at all. Maybe I'll give it a try.

The good thing about EA access is it's only a month. So when this 2 dollar month is over I will not be re-upping. Just too much of a time sink for me :p

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Doom, planning on buying Doom Eternal after im finished, or if it comes on sale for whatever reason. Games are f***ing fun.

Wish they would redo Duke Nukem properly now.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Bought Splinter Cell 1, Pandora Tomorrow, and already have Chaos Theory. They’re all on sale right now and it cost me $7 for the first two games combined.

Loved the shit out of the first 3 Splinter Cell games. Actually a little surprised that this series stumbled as much as it did after Chaos Theory. I played the one after CT, think it was “Double Agent”...whatever the 4th one was and it lost its magic. Maybe there’s just only so much you can do with that series before it gets stale.

Still, the online multiplayer for Pandora Tomorrow was some of the most intense fun I’ve ever had. Chaos Theory too. If you and a buddy were good at that game online it was a total blast.

Did you ever play Conviction or Blacklist?

Conviction was a bit divisive because it was more action oriented, but I thought it was brilliant. The developers of the game wanted to make Sam like a Panther, instead of a weak guy hiding in the dark, you were a creature that used the dark to attack from. Rocksteady has all but admitted they ripped the 'Panther' philosophy right from Conviction for Arkham Asylum, which also used very aggressive stealth.

Black List is kind of the Splinter Cell buffet. You can play the game however you want. There are three 'trees' - Assault, Panther, Ghost. Assault is just straight up shooting, and it's not great. Panther basically continues the balance of Conviction and it's excellent. Ghost is just what it sounds like - get in and out without an enemy even seeing you.

The level design in Black List is the best of any game in the franchise. It dethroned Chaos Theory.

It's one of a few games I keep an Xbox 360 around to replay.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Conviction was a bit divisive because it was more action oriented, but I thought it was brilliant. The developers of the game wanted to make Sam like a Panther, instead of a weak guy hiding in the dark, you were a creature that used the dark to attack from. Rocksteady has all but admitted they ripped the 'Panther' philosophy right from Conviction for Arkham Asylum, which also used very aggressive stealth.

Black List is kind of the Splinter Cell buffet. You can play the game however you want. There are three 'trees' - Assault, Panther, Ghost. Assault is just straight up shooting, and it's not great. Panther basically continues the balance of Conviction and it's excellent. Ghost is just what it sounds like - get in and out without an enemy even seeing you.

The level design in Black List is the best of any game in the franchise. It dethroned Chaos Theory.

I would disagree slightly. Chaos Theory did a better job of creating a non-linear sandbox (think the Bank Heist, Displace and New York), and it holds up over time. Blacklist is second for sure, and I do have it as my second favorite game overall as well. Shame it didn't succeed, despite its flaws it really was Ubisoft's last great linear venture.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Interesting. I’ll give them a shot. Panther Sam sounds like a fun way to play the game

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've been playing a ton of Pavlov lately. It's a VR shooter pretty much in the style of Counter Strike. It's pretty much the only game I've been playing lately.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Put in a dozen hours this week on Deep Rock Galactic with some buddies. Really loving this game, the 10/10 reviews it’s earning on a lot of sites is well justified. The quest variety and random map generation makes every single mission feel fresh and non repetitive.

edit: should add, you can play this game solo, but it’s designed around the co-op experience. Has played equally well for me with 2-4 player groups—the game scaling adjusts very well in my experience for party size.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Been playing some Grounded on PC (via Xbox Game Pass) co-op with a buddy.

It's essentially your standard survival game, but with a Honey I Shrunk the Kids setting....and I gotta say, the setting makes it very interesting.

Spiders are pure evil.

Recommend from me thus far, although it is very much early access. I wouldn't buy it outright just yet, but if you have Game Pass, I'd say give it a look...especially if you have friends who also have Game Pass.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Picking up RDR2 and enjoying it. Bought it at the start or quarantine and before my kid was born and took about 2-3 months off from playing dealing with it. Really enjoying it and very addictive. Exactly what i was looking for a new game as i mostly play sports game and grew tired of NHL 20.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Playing through he COD MW2 Campaign remake. What a nostalgia trip! Enjoying the upgraded graphics and seeing some of the areas of the campaign used for multiplayer.

Just starting No Russian right now which is sure to be interesting!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Been playing some Grounded on PC (via Xbox Game Pass) co-op with a buddy.

It's essentially your standard survival game, but with a Honey I Shrunk the Kids setting....and I gotta say, the setting makes it very interesting.

Spiders are pure evil.

Recommend from me thus far, although it is very much early access. I wouldn't buy it outright just yet, but if you have Game Pass, I'd say give it a look...especially if you have friends who also have Game Pass.

Had no idea about this game before you mentioned it. Looks awesome! Downloading it now through gamepass :yo:

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-10_2-30-19.png
    upload_2020-8-10_2-30-19.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Commander Clueless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad