GameCenter Live vs NHL Center Ice

Realize

So, for me it's not finished with GCL.
Was not able to watch the NYR game again.
Even the TBL game was not able to watch for me, in Germany.

Now I am thinking of going to hockeystreams.. but perhaps, someone of you can help me out in advance?
-> will it be "full screen" via chromecast?
-> can I avoid spoilers on hockeystreams? (final scores, OT, S/O?)
-> will the full length on demand games be without commercials, as they are on GCL currently?

I am really done with the crappy performance of GCL.

Thanks guys for helping me

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Will I get arrested or fined for using Hockeystreams? :(

I doubt you would be arrested, but you would be a great target for identity theft.

Nope. The only one doing something considered illegal here is HockeyStreams, but the server is hosted in the Netherlands, where I don't think it's illegal.

Nope!

Purchasing and watching pirated streams is definitely illegal for the viewer as well as the distributor. The distributor, however, would be the main target for legal action.

The cost of being a fan has gotten completely out of hand, so I don't give a rats ass where someone gets their hockey, but Hockeystreams is definitely illegal.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I doubt you would be arrested, but you would be a great target for identity theft.

Nope!

Purchasing and watching pirated streams is definitely illegal for the viewer as well as the distributor. The distributor, however, would be the main target for legal action.

The cost of being a fan has gotten completely out of hand, so I don't give a rats ass where someone gets their hockey, but Hockeystreams is definitely illegal.

Is donating money to a streaming website where in return they will allow you to watch their stream illegal?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
That person has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. It's not illegal to watch a stream in the US, despite what the licensing is. I don't know why he insists on misinforming posters here.

You. can't. get. in. trouble. for. using. hockeystreams.

He's dead wrong.

Bingeling

Jan 11, 2011
Now I am thinking of going to hockeystreams.. but perhaps, someone of you can help me out in advance?
-> will it be "full screen" via chromecast?
-> can I avoid spoilers on hockeystreams? (final scores, OT, S/O?)
-> will the full length on demand games be without commercials, as they are on GCL currently?
I don't know about chromecast, but I would be surprised if it is not full screen.

I never see spoilers on hockeystreams. I think there is a very basic setting with "scores on/off".

The "on demand games" are like watching it on television, apart from the ability to skip around. The Flash player (at least) has preset options to skip 2 and 17 minutes to skip ad break and intermission.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
That person has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. It's not illegal to watch a stream in the US, despite what the licensing is. I don't know why he insists on misinforming posters here.

He's dead wrong.

I believe it's only illegal if you redistribute the licensed product for monetary compensation, like the warnings before the movies say. Then again nothing is illegal until you're caught.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I believe it's only illegal if you redistribute the licensed product for monetary compensation, like the warnings before the movies say. Then again nothing is illegal until you're caught.

Exactly, which you wouldn't be doing by simply watching the stream. There's nothing illegal about using hockeystreams.

Now, if you want to get into an argument about how ethical it is, then you're on a little firmer ground. But I personally don't feel like I've done anything unethical. I would pay the extra money for GCL if they didn't have the ridiculous blackout restrictions. If I pay for a streaming service, I want access to every game, regardless of where I am geographically and whether or not the game is on local TV.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

He's dead wrong.

You should change your name from revelation to rationalization. In fact, several other posters should do the same thing.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'll bite.

Why is it legal?

And if you provide the "donation" excuse, why does that line of reasoning make sense to you?

It's legal because it's not illegal. See Zuffa, LLC v. Justin.tv, Inc., 838 F. Supp. 2d 1102, 1106 (D. Nev. 2012); Premium Sports Inc. v. Connell, No. 10 CIV. 3753 KBF, 2012 WL 691891 (S.D.N.Y. Mar. 1, 2012) reconsideration denied, No. 10 CIV. 3753 KBF, 2012 WL 2878085 (S.D.N.Y. July 11, 2012); Ark Promotions, Inc. v. Justin.tv, Inc., 904 F. Supp. 2d 541 (W.D.N.C. 2012).

The DMCA does not make streaming illegal. The Federal Communications Act requires an "interception," which the courts have maintained does not include watching a stream. There is currently no Act that expressly makes watching a stream illegal.

As of today, streaming is legal because it is not illegal. Now, this changes when you are broadcasting a stream in a restaurant or something else for profit. But at home viewing is simply not covered under the aforementioned Acts.

This message board post is not meant to be construed as legal advice, not meant to be acted upon as legal advice, may not be current, and is subject to change without notice. It is my sole opinion and does not represent the views of my employer.

Last edited:

Walk With Lias

Sep 18, 2007
Anyone else having trouble streaming GCL via the apple tv app? I constantly get an error message that tells my that an error occurred loading this content.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
For what it's worth, it's easy to see why laymen like Reggie would be confused about this. The law re: streaming is very convoluted.

Essentially, right now, for streaming to be illegal, you must either 1) be downloading the material (not just live streaming a sporting event or show) or 2) showing the unlicensed stream to a group of people (i.e. showing it in a bar).

Personal streaming of a live sporting event is simply not against the law.

This message board post is not meant to be construed as legal advice, not meant to be acted upon as legal advice, may not be current, and is subject to change without notice. It is my sole opinion and does not represent the views of my employer.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Its one thing to be nervous about it being illegal, even though nothing would happen to him even it was, but the blind fear about your identity being stolen because of using hockey streams makes no sense at all.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I'll bite.

Why is it legal?

And if you provide the "donation" excuse, why does that line of reasoning make sense to you?

It's legal because it's not illegal. See Zuffa, LLC v. Justin.tv, Inc., 838 F. Supp. 2d 1102, 1106 (D. Nev. 2012); Premium Sports Inc. v. Connell, No. 10 CIV. 3753 KBF, 2012 WL 691891 (S.D.N.Y. Mar. 1, 2012) reconsideration denied, No. 10 CIV. 3753 KBF, 2012 WL 2878085 (S.D.N.Y. July 11, 2012); Ark Promotions, Inc. v. Justin.tv, Inc., 904 F. Supp. 2d 541 (W.D.N.C. 2012).

The DMCA does not make streaming illegal. The Federal Communications Act requires an "interception," which the courts have maintained does not include watching a stream. There is currently no Act that expressly makes watching a stream illegal.

As of today, streaming is legal because it is not illegal. Now, this changes when you are broadcasting a stream in a restaurant or something else for profit. But at home viewing is simply not covered under the aforementioned Acts.

For what it's worth, it's easy to see why laymen like Reggie would be confused about this. The law re: streaming is very convoluted.

Essentially, right now, for streaming to be illegal, you must either 1) be downloading the material (not just live streaming a sporting event or show) or 2) showing the unlicensed stream to a group of people (i.e. showing it in a bar).

Personal streaming of a live sporting event is simply not against the law.

Is that enough smackdown for you? Will you stop trying to scare posters away from a service that is better than both CI and GCL for many people?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Is that enough smackdown for you? Will you stop trying to scare posters away from a service that is better than both CI and GCL for many people?

I mean, to be fair to him, the law is super ambiguous and hard to understand. That's the primary reason it's been litigated, really. If it was easy to understand, this wouldn't be an issue. But as of today, it's not illegal to stream.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I mean, to be fair to him, the law is super ambiguous and hard to understand. That's the primary reason it's been litigated, really. If it was easy to understand, this wouldn't be an issue. But as of today, it's not illegal to stream.

Even if it WERE illegal, though.. can someone seriously believe the law will go after all the subscribers of the site? How would that be possible?

Theres just no reason at all to fear it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad