GameCenter Live vs NHL Center Ice

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Anyone else watch last night's game on hockeystreams with a Roku 3 and have a terrible picture for the 3rd period? And no, I am not just referring to the scoreboard looking terrible.

Big Huff

Dec 17, 2011
STL
anyone have issues with multiple users detected? I keep getting kicked off, I've logged off other computers I've used before. I'm finding it very hard to contact them. Any info would be greatly appreciated

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Haven't had that, but last night I was trying to watch the Ottawa-Isles game and it kept cutting out. Tried both the Sens and Isles feed and it was the same thing. Was using a Roku 3 on a wired connection.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Haven't had that, but last night I was trying to watch the Ottawa-Isles game and it kept cutting out. Tried both the Sens and Isles feed and it was the same thing. Was using a Roku 3 on a wired connection.

Could be the feed the company was getting that runs the gamecenter app from the broadcasts but unlikely.

Were there a lot of people/devices connected to your network during the game? Even if you have the roku 3 wired to the router, the network/router has a certain amount of bandwith available. The more devices connected to the network/router at once (especially for video streaming/use) the slower the internet speed becomes even if you have "dual-band" routers or "N" routers, etc. I tend to be home during the day a lot more and work at night so im home alone. The internet speed is practically flawless. But when everyone is home it starts to slow down as the 2 ipads, blu ray players, macbooks, cell phones, printer use, all become connected.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Could be the feed the company was getting that runs the gamecenter app from the broadcasts but unlikely.

Were there a lot of people/devices connected to your network during the game? Even if you have the roku 3 wired to the router, the network/router has a certain amount of bandwith available. The more devices connected to the network/router at once (especially for video streaming/use) the slower the internet speed becomes even if you have "dual-band" routers or "N" routers, etc. I tend to be home during the day a lot more and work at night so im home alone. The internet speed is practically flawless. But when everyone is home it starts to slow down as the 2 ipads, blu ray players, macbooks, cell phones, printer use, all become connected.

I have 75/75 from Verizon and use a Power Line adapter. I had an OTA Tivo hooked up to the power line adapter, as well. I was on my laptop, wife was on her cell phone. Shouldn't have been a problem. Also watched some of the Leafs-Devils game and the Pens-Canucks game and wasn't having a problem on those. My laptop was using the Wifi, ran a speed test and was getting 13 on the download, so the game should have come in without a problem.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I have 75/75 from Verizon and use a Power Line adapter. I had an OTA Tivo hooked up to the power line adapter, as well. I was on my laptop, wife was on her cell phone. Shouldn't have been a problem. Also watched some of the Leafs-Devils game and the Pens-Canucks game and wasn't having a problem on those. My laptop was using the Wifi, ran a speed test and was getting 13 on the download, so the game should have come in without a problem.

Then I agree it shouldnt have been a problem based on the service youre getting plus the adapter which is good. Not a lot of people do that. I think it was just the feed from the game. Probably nothing you can control.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Anyone know of a similar site which carries baseball games. As a Muts fan, the MLB package on roku wont help me

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IDK about a subscription service, but Wiziwig has a stream of pretty much every MLB game for free.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Again, last night.

At 11pm, my feed went into buffering. Didn't come out as fast as it usually does, so I went back to the main screen. Game was gone off the live streams. Already had tonight's games posted. Went to the on-demand streams and the games wasn't yet listed. Same thing happened last saturday. Finished watching Rangers-Red Wings around 11:30. Went to see what else was on, and they already had sunday's games posted. The San Jose-Calgary game was still being played but not listed. Put it up in the Roku help section on the site, but quite annoying. Went to bed, woke up a little earlier than usual to watch the rest of the game, but still wasn't happy.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
hockeystreams hasn't been all that great for me on my Roku's (I have a 2 & 3) this year either. Constantly low res despite other streaming services (amazon prime, etc...) handling HD just fine.

It's better on the 2, but not so happy this year.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The streams themselves haven't been a problem. Just have a feeling there is something with how the Roku app is set up to set up to the next day way too early.

Realize

I did quit hockeystreams after 1 month because watching "on demand" was not working for me that fine.. (as I don't wanna see ad's and pregame shows etc) .. the buffering was no fun..

So I need to live with the worse quality of GCL.

:-(

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I did quit hockeystreams after 1 month because watching "on demand" was not working for me that fine.. (as I don't wanna see ad's and pregame shows etc) .. the buffering was no fun..

:-(

Fast forward through that stuff.

Bingeling

Jan 11, 2011

I watch on demand, in browser on a media PC connected to the TV.

I think I made a simple discovery, but have not yet had the chance to verify it. I have always used the Flash stream to be able to skip the non hockey stuff. The catch has been that the stream has been freezing quite a lot, although rather easily cured with a quick "back 10s". Sometimes it can be annoying.

Then I discovered that the progressive stream also have the option to skip around. And watching the Oilers game (on demand) it was perfect as far as I could see.

If the progressive stream keeps working that well, I will be really happy with it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Again, last night.

At 11pm, my feed went into buffering. Didn't come out as fast as it usually does, so I went back to the main screen. Game was gone off the live streams. Already had tonight's games posted. Went to the on-demand streams and the games wasn't yet listed. Same thing happened last saturday. Finished watching Rangers-Red Wings around 11:30. Went to see what else was on, and they already had sunday's games posted. The San Jose-Calgary game was still being played but not listed. Put it up in the Roku help section on the site, but quite annoying. Went to bed, woke up a little earlier than usual to watch the rest of the game, but still wasn't happy.

I got booted from the stream tonight at precisely 11pm. But it was still available at the back of "Todays Games - NHL" and was able to get right back into it. Granted, I was watching the "from the beginning" stream all the way through.

I had terrible problems at the beginning of this season, but they've gotten much much better.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I got booted from the stream tonight at precisely 11pm. But it was still available at the back of "Todays Games - NHL" and was able to get right back into it. Granted, I was watching the "from the beginning" stream all the way through.

I had terrible problems at the beginning of this season, but they've gotten much much better.

Me too, and I had an open ticket. Started to add to my ticket and Billy wrote back before I finished typing, "How about now? I think I figured it out." Worked. The difference like you said was the listings for "Today's Games" (or whatever it says) did not reset to Wednesday's schedule like it did on Sunday or last Saturday. I got kicked off at 11, but was back on at ~11:10, grabbed the laptop to watch while waiting. I had also changed the time on my Roku box to Pacific and was on the Asia server (not sure if that matters). Switched it to NA-West and was able to get back in. After the game ended, I jumped over to Phx-Edm to watch the end, got the same error message, but again had accidentally set Asia as my preferred server. Changed it to NA-West and I was fine. However, no idea if that was the issue or not.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Same exact thing happened to me.

mti79

May 11, 2007
DirecTV vs U-Verse vs others?

Hey all,
I know we've been over this ad nauseum but I'm trying to figure out what to do next. When I first moved to Hartford, CT, I had Cox cable which didn't carry MSG. I purchased Center Ice and was able to see all the games albeit in Standard Def. I moved to another town near Hartford and got AT&T U-verse which carries MSG so I get all those games but I don't get the NHL Network games. U-Verse was bought out by Frontier and they are awful. Occasionally they're put MSG+ on and I can watch, but can't record. Add that to the fact that the internet is terribad and I'm looking to change.

Anyone in CT have experience with DirecTV? They list that they carry MSG but I don't know if the games would be blacked out. Any help would be appreciated.

WolfPackFan07

Mar 24, 2007
Hey all,
I know we've been over this ad nauseum but I'm trying to figure out what to do next. When I first moved to Hartford, CT, I had Cox cable which didn't carry MSG. I purchased Center Ice and was able to see all the games albeit in Standard Def. I moved to another town near Hartford and got AT&T U-verse which carries MSG so I get all those games but I don't get the NHL Network games. U-Verse was bought out by Frontier and they are awful. Occasionally they're put MSG+ on and I can watch, but can't record. Add that to the fact that the internet is terribad and I'm looking to change.

Anyone in CT have experience with DirecTV? They list that they carry MSG but I don't know if the games would be blacked out. Any help would be appreciated.

Depends where in Hartford….in Hartford County, you should be fine. I'm in Tolland County (neighbor through my yard is Hartford County) and had to purchase Center Ice when I had DirecTV. IIRC, NHL considers Tolland in NYR territory. DirecTV does not. Like you, I currently have Frontier/U-Verse.

DumpnChase12

Apr 26, 2012
Lake Worth, FL
I have GCL and use XBMC with my google media box on my 55" HDTV and I watch the games in the highest resolution with very minimal buffering (if any). I also have a Roku stick that I connect to my small HDTV in the kitchen so I can watch the game while eating. My internet is Uverse 18/1.5. Overall I am happy I made the switch to GCL from the comcast subscription that I had for years (plus I only paid $75 for GCL) :yo:

sthNYR5

Apr 24, 2012
NYC
can anyone suggest a good streaming site to use for the game tonight? I'm an NHL gamecenter user but the game is obviously blacked out tonight because it's on NHL Network. thanks for the help guys and LGR!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad