GameCenter Live vs NHL Center Ice

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Updating based on my initial experience with HS last night.

-The live stream was fine for the most part. It chopped about once every 10 minutes throughout the broadcast, but I'm unsure if that was a connection issue or not.
-It was a little grainy when I chromecasted it to my hdtv, but I expected that. Definitely better than having to watch the other team's broadcast in SD. I'm looking at you, Comcast Center Ice Package.
-I used the DVR stream to catch up when I came in late for the 3rd period, and that stream seemed to be a lot choppier than the live stream. I don't know why that would be.
-Overall, I'm not unhappy with my purchase, given how much cheaper it vs CI and GCL. The ability to watch AHL and CHL games is awesome as well.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Updating based on my initial experience with HS last night.

-The live stream was fine for the most part. It chopped about once every 10 minutes throughout the broadcast, but I'm unsure if that was a connection issue or not.
-It was a little grainy when I chromecasted it to my hdtv, but I expected that. Definitely better than having to watch the other team's broadcast in SD. I'm looking at you, Comcast Center Ice Package.
-I used the DVR stream to catch up when I came in late for the 3rd period, and that stream seemed to be a lot choppier than the live stream. I don't know why that would be.
-Overall, I'm not unhappy with my purchase, given how much cheaper it vs CI and GCL. The ability to watch AHL and CHL games is awesome as well.

When you use Chromecast, do you use the link? You should cast the entire tab, but not the one that says, "optimize for audio." Then just put it on full screen. That way works best for me.

Mint Berry Crunch

Bring the crunch.
May 8, 2009
Long Island, NY
Just got GameCenter Live and it far and away trumps my experience with Hockeystreams. I've watched on my MacBook, my Xbox One, and my smartphone and aside from the first few seconds where the stream is being optimized... the quality across all boards gets an A+ from me.

Realize

Just got GameCenter Live and it far and away trumps my experience with Hockeystreams. I've watched on my MacBook, my Xbox One, and my smartphone and aside from the first few seconds where the stream is being optimized... the quality across all boards gets an A+ from me.

Really interesting is, that the quality in Tampa Bay games (Fox Sports) is much much better than the NY Rangers games with MSG via GCL..
Besides that little thing, the overall performance is okay so far.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Update on my HockeyStreams exp

Vs NYI

Finally, this is what I wanted. I started the game very late via on demand stream.

It worked perfectly, no chops or pauses. If it went long enough without a commercial break(so I don't advance ahead) the stream would clarify to damn near full HD quality.

Luckily I was so tired that when the 2nd ended I decided to skip ahead a little bit & then all the way when I saw the score haha

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

GCL is not true live however, so if that is important to you, it is something to consider. As an avid GDT poster, the 20 - 45 second delay is far too much.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
GCL is not true live however, so if that is important to you, it is something to consider. As an avid GDT poster, the 20 - 45 second delay is far too much.

Exactly!

Although 15-20 people will say the same thing you did 30 seconds layer while at the same time burying your comment to oblivion, the HF Boards: New York Rangers: Game [X] GDT annals will know you were first.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Exactly!

Although 15-20 people will say the same thing you did 30 seconds layer while at the same time burying your comment to oblivion, the HF Boards: New York Rangers: Game [X] GDT annals will know you were first.

It has more to do with not getting goals or other events spoiled by people posting about them 30 seconds before you see them happen, but okay Mr. Sarcasm.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Both of my brothers have been having trouble with Game Center Live using the PS 3. Anyone else?

It's been freeze up and lagging for me, on PS3. They didn't even update it for preseason.

Friggin Rob

Jun 5, 2009
Does anybody know how streaming GCL on PS4 compares with streaming on Roku 3?

If the performance Is cleaner on Roku, then I might just cave in and buy one.

MeltingPlastic

Jul 1, 2010
Outside Philly
For those of you using hockeystreams, I HIGHLY suggest picking up a raspberry Pi and streaming with that. I use one in my bedroom which is connected to the HTPC i have in my living room using XBMC. No issues whatsoever streaming any content from my HTPC to my bedroom or with hockeystreams. Great little investment

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
For those of you using hockeystreams, I HIGHLY suggest picking up a raspberry Pi and streaming with that. I use one in my bedroom which is connected to the HTPC i have in my living room using XBMC. No issues whatsoever streaming any content from my HTPC to my bedroom or with hockeystreams. Great little investment

That's actually a cool idea. Cheap dedicated streaming box.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Good idea. I actually bought a Raspberry Pi about a year ago to turn into an emulation station (love me some SNES/Genesis :laugh:) but was lazy and never got around to it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
As for quality, I find it good. The stream may freeze, and I solve it by "left arrow" to go 10 seconds back. How often it happens depends on the day, today was good in that regards.

Sounds good.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There used to be a poster here (who will remain nameless) who would email links to full (and HD when possible) recordings of all the Rangers games. He did it for free, for those of us that lived out of market or otherwise couldn't watch the games live. Back before Game Center Live was a thing.

the fife flyer

Oct 14, 2010
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Now I had a problem with HS tonight too... Haven't been able to watch a game from them in a long time.

For me it basically always get worse during the game while I watch. 1st period is OK. 2nd period the problems starts. 3rd period it get unwatchable. Why on earth is it like that? My experience is that it don't help to start over my Samsung smart tv that I watch from.

Anyone have any tips to fix this?

I did a speed test after watching 55 mbits/second. I am on a cable directly from a 100 mbit/line...

Have you tried using different server locations?

The Europe one is not always best for me. Sometimes the N.American ones are better. Trial and error, but I can honestly say, I`ve never really had any problems with HS.

No blackouts was the clincher for me.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Not sure if there are any other cord-cutters reading this thread, but found this:

http://www.tivo.com/discover/antenna

Tivo makes a dvr strictly for OTA. $50, plus $15/month for the service. Much cheaper than the other OTA DVR's I found and it is also from a company I have heard of.

kramer987

Mar 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
hfboards.com
here's a tip for all of you

ok so i briefly read through this and it looks like you guys can use some help.

my tip only applies to someone running XBMC (now called Kodi). you can run it on pc, raspberrypi, appletv, NOT roku, amazon firetv, among others. i'm pretty certain you can run PLEX on your pc and run xbmc on the PC and then stream the feed through plex to your roku (with plex installed) if you really want it on big screen. also don't forget u can always run xbmc on a laptop and hook it up to a pc via hdmi out or vga out...

ok now once u have xbmc running on some device, you need to install the gamecenter addon. this addon will allow you to watch live game so long as you have an nhl gamecenter account with an active subscription. yes, i know, most of you don't. the way the app (and gamecenter itself) is coded allows people without active subscriptions to still watch archived games, which are posted immediately following each game. they provide a condensed version which is pretty lengthy and also a highlights version which is approximately 11 minutes long. you also have the option of watching the home or away version with the respective commentary and you get to select the quality. you also have the option of hiding the scores so you don't see them prior to watching the game. btw you can also watch the full game but honestly how can you do that after the game is over? but to each his own. the option is there if you need it.

btw you need to create a free nhl account but as mentioned above you don't need to actually pay for and activate any service plan.

PM me and i'll link you to the addon as i'd rather not paste it here. to the extent that i have time i can help you tweak xbmc and get it installed on your device, etc.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
btw you can also watch the full game but honestly how can you do that after the game is over? but to each his own. the option is there if you need it.
I do it all the time, especially for the Giants. Less often with the Rangers, but just did it Sunday. Went to friend's house to watch Giants game. DVR'd Rangers game. When I got home (around 8:30) I watched the Rangers game. Didn't know the score, fast forwarded through commercials and stoppages.

kramer987

Mar 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
hfboards.com
my immediate, uncontrollable temptation is to check the score when i realize the game was on. :)

I do it all the time, especially for the Giants. Less often with the Rangers, but just did it Sunday. Went to friend's house to watch Giants game. DVR'd Rangers game. When I got home (around 8:30) I watched the Rangers game. Didn't know the score, fast forwarded through commercials and stoppages.

the fife flyer

Oct 14, 2010
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
But you can't choose between Europe NL or Europe GB right?

Last year you had London or Amsterdam for server location.
Now it`s just Europe.

Are you using Adobe flash player? That`s what I use. When the video is playing, right click on the picture and choose settings. Increase the storage to maximum.

That works for me. Good luck fella.

Bingeling

Jan 11, 2011
Now I had a problem with HS tonight too... Haven't been able to watch a game from them in a long time.
They seemed rusty in the first couple of games this season, but the last few have been fine for me.

I watched the Sharks game live, and I can't remember any significant issues.

I watched the Islanders game on the demand from about 09:30 (CET) today, and it was the best I can ever remember it. A couple of "stutters" that was cured with a quick pause, and no freezes at all.

I also have noticed the NL location to be better than UK (as expected). You can always try to reload the screen, and it should often pick a new server. You see where you are connected, NL vs UK, far down on the right side somewhere.

I would suspect your end being the issue, computer, browser, that kind of stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad