GDT: Game2 - Avs vs Flames part deux More Fire and Brimstone| 8:30 PM MT | NBCSN,CBC,TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Biggest isssue tonight was how bad we got pushed around. Like, I know MacKinnon is fast as hell, but I don’t think he was touched once all night.

Frolik isn't physical enough to touch him and Tkachuk isn't fast enough to touch him.

I hate to say it but this is a case where you might actually want Sam Bennett on the wing.

Bennett - Backlund - Lindholm

That's a line we should be matching to the avs' top line. Fast. Responsible. Physical.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Frolik isn't physical enough to touch him and Tkachuk isn't fast enough to touch him.

I hate to say it but this is a case where you might actually want Sam Bennett on the wing.

Bennett - Backlund - Lindholm

That's a line we should be matching to the avs' top line. Fast. Responsible. Physical.
I wouldn’t hate that

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If the Flames play like that repeatedly, they'll be out in the first round.

I'm optimistic that that won't be the case, though, given what has transpired this season.

Also, on the optimistic side, in terms of the play of both teams, this was about as bad as things could get for Calgary, and we came extremely close to winning anyway. That is somewhat encouraging. At least we aren't Tampa!

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
If the Flames play like that repeatedly, they'll be out in the first round.

I'm optimistic that that won't be the case, though, given what has transpired this season.

Also, on the optimistic side, in terms of the play of both teams, this was about as bad as things could get for Calgary, and we came extremely close to winning anyway. That is somewhat encouraging. At least we aren't Tampa!

Didn't expect to hear that this playoffs, eh?

but yeah, the Flames probably played their top 3/5 worst games of the season tonight and still came extremely close to winning, while the Avs put in almost everything they had to win. If the Flames play close to how we know they can, they won't have to rely on Smith as much as they did. Flames gotta come into game #3 with their work boots on and urgency in their game. That was lacking tonight.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Alright, I’m heading to Shelbyville today for reasons, so i just want to share a thought. Just a thing about andersson and maybe some more stuff since I have a bunch of time for myself.

This kid is gonna he something. Showed a lot of poise tonight and got a shit tone of minutes, especially from the third period onward, and has looked great on the pp. Essentially was a #4 overall tonight (got roughly the same minutes as Hanifin, who has also been low-key solid overall), and was our only positive possession dman tonight. I said from day one he was our best defensive prospect and deserved to be on the team over stone and was better than Valimaki, and I’m happy to say I was right. If he can even have marginally better skating, I think he tops out as a #2. I’m not doubting it anymore, his progression is right there to see.

As for Brodie, man he’s a shell of his former self. I remember in 2015 in which he was a rock and looked like a Norris caliber dman with Derek f***ing Engelland. That player is gone. We’ve had that replaced with jake gardiner... seriously, exact same shit happens in Toronto with him and with Brodie here. He’s ideally served as a #3 given that he is extremely mistake prone, and we know this isnt a lefty righty thing anymore. Would still take him long term over hamonic 100%, but man he always makes his case tough.

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
It does look like some of our key players just cannot spell intensity. Felt like I was watching some regular season snoozer most of the time. Still think we take this series if Smith keeps rolling but against SJ or especially Vegas we'll be the underdogs.

Reactions: No Draft

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I hope we trade Brodie and maybe even Monahan in the summer
There is no heart in those two boys

and yeah we are stuck with Neal, the faked deal.

BTW, Johnny should have been rested instead of chasing that stupid 100 pt. Their best player >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> our best.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Neal is horrible! That big hit he threw against San Jose in game 81 or whatever gave me false hope

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
The biggest problem with the team, is that is does not have a big time game breaker(someone like MacKinnon, that ****er), in OT and on the PP, we had no one that could take over and pot one.

Re-group and get ready for Colorado, practice the PP because it is not working and we had a chance to win it.
Johnny Gaudreau Stats and News I found a game breaking player for you. We should try to get this guy.

We also went 1/5 on the PP, so it’s not like we shit the bed on that. Not sure what game you were watching, but that wasn’t really why we lost.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The top line has been DOA since January what the hell happened that made them go from dominant top line to 3rd line that scores sometimes?
Gaudreau needs to get on his game because that line starts with him, the other guys have been as bad if not worse.

The drop pass on the powerplay has somehow survived 3 coaching regimes despite being an awful technique that costs us a breakaway every 15-20 games and simply isn't all that helpful when entering the zone. When Brodie turned it over to Landeskog he had a full head of speed and no one who was standing still would've stopped him had he just flipped the puck past them and retrieved it.

Edit

Another thing is aside from on the PK why is the "3rd line" playing more than the 4th line. The 4th line is so much better and Bennett has been the only decent 3rd line player.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Johnny Gaudreau Stats and News I found a game breaking player for you. We should try to get this guy.

We also went 1/5 on the PP, so it’s not like we **** the bed on that. Not sure what game you were watching, but that wasn’t really why we lost.

That is exactly why we lost. Their top guys outplayed ours by a big margin. We were lucky to lose by 1 and actually are lucky that it's 1-1

Johnny is tired. Lindholm went back to his Carolina days and Monny despite the goal, looked horrific instead of the 1st line center he is supposed to be. You can blame others but our top guns and Brodie havent shown up to the dance.

Watch the games instead of the stats

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

We also went 1/5 on the PP, so it’s not like we **** the bed on that. Not sure what game you were watching, but that wasn’t really why we lost.

Johnny really does not take over games, just see MacKinnon and you will see what I mean.

In OT, when you get a PP, you need to score.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
That is exactly why we lost. Their top guys outplayed ours by a big margin. We were lucky to lose by 1 and actually are lucky that it's 1-1

Johnny is tired. Lindholm went back to his Carolina days and Monny despite the goal, looked horrific instead of the 1st line center he is supposed to be. You can blame others but our top guns and Brodie havent shown up to the dance.

Watch the games instead of the stats

Really hope, new line combinations are tried, we need to get the top guys going.

Their top guys have really out played our top guys, especially MacKinnon, every time, he is on the ice, it is like he is always creating something and you always hoping, he is going to tire out but no, the f***er keeps going.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Would still take him long term over hamonic 100%, but man he always makes his case tough.

LOL you are comparing the guy with skills and no heart to the guy with all heart and not very much skills

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
LOL you are comparing the guy with skills and no heart to the guys with all heart and not very much skills

Sorry man, I don’t like Brodie’s brain gafs, but hamonic screams Karl alzner to me in a few years. Trust me, if Hamonic is 3 years younger, I’d keep him for sure.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sorry man, I don’t like Brodie’s brain gafs, but hamonic screams Karl alzner to me in a few years. Trust me, if Hamonic is 3 years younger, I’d keep him for sure.

I dont want Brodie. He is not built for winning. How the hell can someone not show up for an important playoff game?

Andersson, Valimaki, Hanifin and maybe Kylington are our future. We just need to get some more sand paper from the next few drafts.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
What I find extremely frustrating is that either a) an NHL coaching staff doesn’t trust their players instincts to take over or b) NHL players don’t have the instincts I thought they did.

I don’t know how the opposing PK’ers can continually cheat the drop pass on the PP breakout and we still make that play. Like, at what point does someone recognize that the killer is below the puck and you already have one guy beat? Just keep carrying the puck. It’s laughable how often Brodie and even Giordano almost (or in some cases do) hand the puck right to the guy that they’ve already beaten.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Vordus

May 9, 2014
Calgary
Lazy effort by the Flames. With the exception of Andersson, Bennett, Hamonic, Hanifin and Smith, with Smith being the best player by far. How times have changed. Guy was hung out to dry both games and kept us in it.

I hope it's just an effort thing cuz we don't look good in this series. The possession stats are scary. Flames didn't wake up until the 1st OT period where they finally started skating.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I know Monahan is no Mackinnon, but damn it hurts seeing how much a game breaking 1C can take over a game. Mackinnon is going to be McDavid’d in that he’ll play 25-30 minutes a night the rest of the series. The dudes acceleration is so good it doesn’t affect his stamina much, or at all. He wasn’t even out of breath last night when Ryan Leslie was interviewing him right after the game.

Brodie looking like early season Brods again, really hope we ship him in the summer for a speedy winger (maybe we can bait the leafs into giving us Kapanen). We have enough depth that it won’t hurt too much. Give Valimaki or Andersson top 4 minutes next season. He’s not a guy built for playoff success, brain farts, bobbling pucks, just really isn’t all that fast or physical.

To be fair the whole team played like ass for 60 minutes, seriously hope they wake up games 3 and 4 or this could be a short playoff season.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
How the hell can someone not show up for an important playoff game?

You can show up, but not have a great feel for your opponent early on, especially if you're focusing 90% of your effort on one guy (which our top pair was). So a guy like Nieto might get the rare jump on you.

Seven game series are seven game series for a reason. Pretty much every champ has had a poor start to a series at some point in their cup run. Last year the entire capitals roster was down 2-0 in the first round. The year before, Pittsburgh was the inferior team in their second round series saved by all world goaltending, and then fell behind a crappy Sens team in the ECF. The 2015 Blackhawks were the inferior team over the first five games of the ECF and then turned it around in games 6 and 7. The year before that, L.A. had to come back down 0-3 to San Jose, and then fell down 3-2 to Anaheim too. Heck the last time we won a series, our top line didn't "show up" until game 6. It's just the way it goes. Game 2 wasn't must-win. Game 3 isn't must-win either. Game 4 isn't must-win either, though no one wants to be down 3-1.

So calm down instead of throwing guys under the bus. It's never as simple and binary as just showing up.

Reactions: No Draft and Janks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad