Post-Game Talk: Game XX Loss: OT like our PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingPenguin

Apr 4, 2009
Kingston, ON
They've got bigger problems, I know, but they do themselves no favours constantly giving away the points that would buy them the time necessary to try and figure it out. It'd be easier to say "hey at least they got a point" if they'd been able to get an easy loser-point against Anaheim a few weeks ago (because let's be honest: a late PP goal to take both points is just way too much to ask of this team). Or against Buffalo when they started the third up by two. Or any of the other times they've choked away an easy point by giving up a late goal over the last year or so.

"At least we got a point" is fine when you haven't established a reputation for pissing away easy points more often than you secure them.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We’re back to being second from bottom of the Metro due to NJ’s win tonight…we haven’t really moved up the Metro standings in a month

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Is this, like, therapy or something?
If it is therapy, it is sure as shit not working. I think it has become more of an autobot- "f***ing Losers!" "f***ing hate this team", etc. after every single loss. I could cut and paste ghostwritten posts when the Pens lose and no one would know the difference. 6 years of this mindless screaming is a bit much. And I am a proud, foul-mouthed miscontent, so there's that.

I’m almost at the point I may just use pens games as background noise while I do other things.
same.

Reactions: 66-30-33

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
They are not making the playoffs. They're just not.
We have to, not just for the 1st round pick to SJ but because the players we have. They may be old but they are still good players. Do whatever it takes starting with an entire new coaching staff and work from there. There is literally zero excuse to not make it. Team needs to always have a guy or 2 infront of the net and always looking to shoot...NO EXCUSES! unless you're that lazy and should get called out and benched. Coaching staff is literally ruining the final years of our core.

Last edited:

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
+ They got a point after being two goals down on the road.
True

They sure do know how to create wet farts of losses though
Another Erik Karlsson moment on OT. Does the ppg mean he cost us point per game? He can do good things offensively but he costs defensively. A lot.
Oh, dear god, no. Bless your heart thinking EK is the problem on this team.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Oh, dear god, no. Bless your heart thinking EK is the problem on this team.
He's certainly been part of it lately. 4 goals against in the last 3 games that are his fault.
We also lost 1 or 2 points off that giveaway he made vs Anaheim in the last minute, when we were on the PP.

He's in a rut right now. He costed 11.5M of the cap to play here, when you count the Petry retention required to bring him over. You need to be outstanding if you're that costly. He needs to clean it up.

Reactions: vodeni

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I expected them to give up a goal late in the game with how they were playing. At least they were able to get a point after being down 2-0 on the road. Nothing much to say about the PP. It's pathetic.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Wow it really felt like we were gonna lose that 1 point in the last 20 seconds of regulation.

You can complain about the ROR contact but Karlsson absolutely blew his assignment. Hard to trust him in that 3 on 3 situation tbh.

Mike Sullivan team finding a way to lose. Imagine that.
I started sensing the loss with 5 mins to go. Having made it to OT and getting 1 point out of it is a win, considering the circumstances.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean let's double down on this. Say forsberg was a prospect and Sully was our coach (same shit really, him and Dan), look at how Sully pouted with needing to help Sprong, who was f***ed over royally by JR, MJ, and Sully. He never got proper development in wbs, on the Pens they kept trying to force him to play in the bottom 6, he had some shifts in the top 6 and looked great only to never get those chances again.

Bounced around trying to learn at the highest level when he couldn't because of his waiver status. Finally did pass through and found his game with the Kraken, a team more open to teaching and development given their situation. Since then, he was a solid even strength producing winger for the Kraken's top 9, in Detroit he's on pace for 53pts, given he put up 46 in 66 games with top 9 usage (32 of those even strength), he's probably a safe bet to hit close to 50.

No way in f***ing hell Sprong does that under Bylsma if he stuck around, MJ, or Sullivan, who really didn't even develop Jake, most of Jake's mentorship came from Matt Cullen if anyone were deserving of that credit. Something Jake mentioned as well, from a fellow Minnesota legend. Jake was a player that the Pens got as a steal, I don't give Sully any of that credit at all.

So we get Forsberg, a player that needed that time with Dean Evason (which he credited) and Drulia, to be the player he is now. If he stuck around in Washington, chances are at best he'd be like Burakovsky, showing flashes until he was traded to his new team and doing well for them instead.

Now watch the idiots focus on the name Sprong and not the entire situation of why the Pens are in a bleak situation with prospects, of whom rarely ever get a fair shot and have to be hazed into a bottom 6 role first, with the hardest usage in the league and why the Pens bottom 6 has had the most changes in the league annually.

Sprong, btw, could turn into a 40 goal scorer and really be a threat and Dubas could trade for him only for Sully to put him with Eller.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’ve been doing this for a while :laugh:

Maybe that’s why I’m not as mad at the team as others are here. I’m just paying attention to the dumpster fire less.

I'll be honest. As much as I complain and rant, it's more of a pastime at this point. I mainly pay attention to the Pens games in hopes to see Sid and Geno scoring so they continue to move up the all-time goals/assists/points rankings.

I'm so disillusioned by the team actually doing anything of note that I'm content with a loss that sees a multi-point game from either guy (though unfortunately we've been losing AND those two aren't lighting it up lately as well).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly I do feel like this game was way better of a loss than most of their other losses this year. They were down 2-0 against a good Predators team with Saros in net and managed to get it to OT. That’s a good performance.

It all comes back to the powerplay for me. It’s rare for special teams to be the primary cause for why a team is bad, but I’m confident that the powerplay is the sole issue killing this team. The systematic tweaks Sullivan made earlier in the year have had a dramatically positive impact on the team at 5v5. People mention that they think the bottom-6 isn’t producing enough, but the Penguins are a top-5 team in goal production at 5v5 this year. You shouldn’t need more bottom-6 production to be good with that level of 5v5 production.

It’s the powerplay killing this team, plain and simple. With the talent this powerplay has, they’re probably losing 1 goal every 2 games or so. When you’re losing games 1-0 in regulation or 3-2 in OT, that 1 goal every 2 games you’re not getting is catastrophic for the team. And I think you can super easily argue that the “1 goal every 2 games” figure is on the low side and it’s closer to a goal a game.

There are still other issues on the team that have already been covered by many on here, but this team is truly losing solely due the powerplay.

I'll be honest. As much as I complain and rant, it's more of a pastime at this point. I mainly pay attention to the Pens games in hopes to see Sid and Geno scoring so they continue to move up the all-time goals/assists/points rankings.

I'm so disillusioned by the team actually doing anything of note that I'm content with a loss that sees a multi-point game from either guy (though unfortunately we've been losing AND those two aren't lighting it up lately as well).

I’ve reached Pirates stage with the Penguins: I don’t expect them to win anything ever again, so why get mad when they lose?

That’s been a pretty common mindset I’ve had in my posts IMO. It doesn’t make sense for me to get upset that a middling team is putting up middling results.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad