GDT: Game XX: Avs @ Les Habitants: Just Win, S'il Vous Plaît (7pm ET / 5pm MT)

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
If Bednar goes with JoJo I will probably have to take a break from the Avs for a bit. Just for my mental sanity

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
With the way that Annunen plays, the fact that Montreal has been struggling quite a bit, and the general defensive structure found at the NHL level it's not hard to believe he can play solidly/average. He has a higher ceiling than when JoJo is in net because he has a better overall mental game that can handle the NHL speed better. How much better is to be determined but Annunen has a real shot here to run with the starting position for awhile. We could have an Annunen/Francouz tandem while Kuemper deals with whatever he has going on.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
With the way that Annunen plays, the fact that Montreal has been struggling quite a bit, and the general defensive structure found at the NHL level it's not hard to believe he can play solidly/average. He has a higher ceiling than when JoJo is in net because he has a better overall mental game that can handle the NHL speed better. How much better is to be determined but Annunen has a real shot here to run with the starting position for awhile. We could have an Annunen/Francouz tandem while Kuemper deals with whatever he has going on.
What do you think Annunen can turn into? I've always thought backup, maybe fringe starter type guy? But I certainly see no reason not to play him tonight.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Mike Johnson on NHL Network Radio said there's no way he goes back to Johansson if he's coach. Said he wouldn't care about ruining his confidence because he's not in the plans for this organization given Kuemper/Francouz are 1-2. You have to change it up after last night's performance.

It's nice to see even the mainstream media acknowledging last night, while still showing Toronto as better, wasn't 100% accurate. Said you can't take anything from that game because Johansson was in goal.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Mike Johnson on NHL Network Radio said there's no way he goes back to Johansson if he's coach. Said he wouldn't care about ruining his confidence because he's not in the plans for this organization given Kuemper/Francouz are 1-2. You have to change it up after last night's performance.

It's nice to see even the mainstream media acknowledging last night, while still showing Toronto as better, wasn't 100% accurate. Said you can't take anything from that game because Johansson was in goal.
I mean even below league average goaltending would've kept us in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASmileyFace

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
As bad as the team's defense has been this season, their goaltending is killing them nearly every night. Is it really to much to ask for a greater than .900 save percentage most nights?
I think they go hand in hand, though. Last night is a perfect example. Awful game by Johansson, but again:

1st goal is basically a breakaway
3rd goal a man all alone in front with nothing but time
5th goal a man all alone in front with at least 3 whacks at the puck before someone even touches him
6th goal a man beats our man to the front of the net for a point blank chance

Our goaltending is letting us down, but our defensive coverage has been horrendous. Bednar has harped on it all season long and it doesn't seem to be improving. Sure, against the bad teams we look like world beaters but against competent teams we struggle tremendously.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don’t understand why you wouldn’t start Annunen anyways, it’s not like he’s a CHL goalie just starting to play with men, he’s played against men in the Finnish league for years.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

A look at Jonas Johansson’s ceiling

4B0E897E-206B-4EE3-A30F-E0F28D7655B9.jpeg

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As bad as the team's defense has been this season, their goaltending is killing them nearly every night. Is it really to much to ask for a greater than .900 save percentage most nights?

The teams defense hasn't even been bad.

We're like 2nd in the league for xGA behind only Boston IIRC.

We should be allowing like 2.5 goals per game but thanks to our goaltending it's more like 3.5

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don’t understand why you wouldn’t start Annunen anyways, it’s not like he’s a CHL goalie just starting to play with men, he’s played against men in the Finnish league for years.

And he had a very good November for the Eagles. Was named goalie of the month in the AHL.

I think he's done enough to earn an opportunity given the circumstances for sure.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The teams defense hasn't even been bad.

We're like 2nd in the league for xGA behind only Boston IIRC.

We should be allowing like 2.5 goals per game but thanks to our goaltending it's more like 3.5

Statistically, the Avs have one of the best defenses in the game. The issue with the Avs defense is when they break down, they do it in the worst possible ways. But that is why you need goalies who can bail you out from time to time. Kuemper has shown that in spurts, but not consistently.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Statistically, the Avs have one of the best defenses in the game. The issue with the Avs defense is when they break down, they do it in the worst possible ways. But that is why you need goalies who can bail you out from time to time. Kuemper has shown that in spurts, but not consistently.
Yeah pretty much.

The role of an Avs goalie isn't a tough one. Lots of easy routine saves, but occasionally they are called upon to make an important save or two inside a game and so far this year the Avs haven't been getting that on a consistent basis.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
They flying Francouz in or something? They figured playing the Habs is like an AHL team anyways.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Here's your conditioning stint of 36 hours after god knows how long off. Good luck Frankie!

The Eagles tweeted photos of Frankie at practice this morning. Can they even get him to Montreal that fast? Let alone the jet lag that guy will be feeling to jump straight onto the ice.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Can't wait to see what decision Sakic made for Bednar. Maybe one day he'll go poopoo and peepee and wipe all on his own like a big boy
Why is it so hard to understand that when it comes to prospects it's not always up to the coaches if they play or not.
The management (Sakic) has to green light it as well. And there are reasons why they, sometimes, hesitate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad