• Blip in the tank season

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've already watched enough real-bad this year from this team to be anything other than extremely wary of them being much more than simply playoff-qualifiers... maybe. But frankly that's fine because I'm just here for neat Sid, Geno and Karlsson stuff at this point in the program.

Sure would be something if they put together one last hurrah this season, though.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop w/ Malkin. Because he looks too damn good for a guy that's 37 who's had a laundry list of injuries throughout his career. His skating is that of a person his age in this league. Everything else looks top tier. And frankly Malkin's game never totally relied on speed, anyway. 100ish point pace, two game-winners already (he had three all last year), 55% in the circle (people only talk about this when it's bad), lots of takeaways, and what appears to be a big chip on his shoulder. Maybe having a great fit for a linemate (finally) and one of EK/Letang behind him nearly all game is making that big a difference.

Regardless, the people that wanted to dump him unceremoniously for like Trocheck or Kadri are looking real smart these days.

EDIT: If he gets to the 500 goals mark this season that would be pretty awesome.
lame, old BWM would have said:

"of course Malkin looks great, he's been on vacation the last 3 years. Can't wait for him to decide to go on vacation this year."

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
lame, old BWM would have said:

"of course Malkin looks great, he's been on vacation the last 3 years. Can't wait for him to decide to go on vacation this year."

Hey we all go through our insufferable teenage years... when we're well into our 30s lol

You (old me) brings up an interesting point, though. Maybe all those games missed with injury/recovery gives him a little extra time on the backend of his career he might not have had? But I dunno... don't think it really works that way.

Reactions: Beau Knows

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I fully believe this team can blast the Bruins on any given night.

They could also get shut out by the Sharks the next game.

We need more Dr. Jekyll, and less Mr. Hyde.

The Penguins were the beneficiaries of some atrocious goaltending against the Sharks the first time. Beginning with the first goal (Smith?) I'm sure the Sully cup (xG) did not favor us as much as the 10-2 scoreline

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Amazing running streak the penguins have put together. They needed it just to get out of the basement.... Good on them for getting out of it. That could have been one depressing slide into oblivion. :eek:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The schedule for the next two weeks is brutal, we will see if this run is flash in the pan or not.
Things are starting to click. They changed up the forecheck to provide more support in the neutral zone, they benched Carter, and Jarry seems to be rebounding. You're right in that the next stretch is brutal but it should let us know what we are. I'm excited for Thursday and Saturday when we face off with New Jersey and Carolina.

If they keep their composure and Jarry plays well, there's no reason they can be competitive.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Hey we all go through our insufferable teenage years... when we're well into our 30s lol

You (old me) brings up an interesting point, though. Maybe all those games missed with injury/recovery gives him a little extra time on the backend of his career he might not have had? But I dunno... don't think it really works that way.
Given the insane amount of hockey that Geno (and Sid) have played in their careers (factoring in nhl, playoffs, international games), I don’t think the injury time would help. Whenever they’re healthy, they’re playing high-intensity, physical games. The wear and tear on their bodies is immense.

I have no knowledge about this, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Geno shed 10-15 pounds and we’re seeing the results of that. Doubt it lasts (if it does, he should be getting weekly pee tests), but maybe it allows him to have just a little more gas in the tank come playoffs

Things are starting to click. They changed up the forecheck to provide more support in the neutral zone, they benched Carter, and Jarry seems to be rebounding. You're right in that the next stretch is brutal but it should let us know what we are. I'm excited for Thursday and Saturday when we face off with New Jersey and Carolina.

If they keep their composure and Jarry plays well, there's no reason they can be competitive.
There are no easy games in the metro. If they can’t win in the tough stretches, they just aren’t a playoff team.

It’ll all come down to Jarry. If he can be shutout Jarry, they’ll go far. If he’s Mr 850, they’re toast.

Can’t get over what the old guys on this team are doing

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I despise Carolina. It feels like it's been years since the Penguins have beaten them. Dunno if I'll watch that one regardless because I'd almost rather gouge out my eyeballs with a melon scooper than watch the Bore-a-canes ply their brand of hockey out on the ice.

Given the insane amount of hockey that Geno (and Sid) have played in their careers (factoring in nhl, playoffs, international games), I don’t think the injury time would help. Whenever they’re healthy, they’re playing high-intensity, physical games. The wear and tear on their bodies is immense.

I have no knowledge about this, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Geno shed 10-15 pounds and we’re seeing the results of that. Doubt it lasts (if it does, he should be getting weekly pee tests), but maybe it allows him to have just a little more gas in the tank come playoffs

Yeah they never get enough credit or understanding for how intense they've played throughout their careers. Sid still crashes around like a bowling ball even if people lament how his game evolved from his first two seasons when he was all-out. Malkin often plays a physical game to a fault.

I imagine you are on to something re: Malkin dropping some bad weight. He looks leaner and more unencumbered. I wouldn't say his skating is necessarily all-out faster but it looks less... burdened? I dunno. It would be nice if Sid/G had a little left in the tank by year's-end though and didn't have to go out there and pour everything they have left out for the last ten games or so in a desperation attempt to make the post season.

Reactions: IcedCapp

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop w/ Malkin. Because he looks too damn good for a guy that's 37 who's had a laundry list of injuries throughout his career. His skating is that of a person his age in this league. Everything else looks top tier. And frankly Malkin's game never totally relied on speed, anyway. 100ish point pace, two game-winners already (he had three all last year), 55% in the circle (people only talk about this when it's bad), lots of takeaways, and what appears to be a big chip on his shoulder. Maybe having a great fit for a linemate (finally) and one of EK/Letang behind him nearly all game is making that big a difference.

Regardless, the people that wanted to dump him unceremoniously for like Trocheck or Kadri are looking real smart these days.

EDIT: If he gets to the 500 goals mark this season that would be pretty awesome.
No offense but I wonder if I'm watching the same Malkin that you are. Dude is flying out there. His skating looks terrific.

He's not what he once was speed-wise but it's far from a concern for me.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There are no easy games in the metro. If they can’t win in the tough stretches, they just aren’t a playoff team.

It’ll all come down to Jarry. If he can be shutout Jarry, they’ll go far. If he’s Mr 850, they’re toast.

Can’t get over what the old guys on this team are doing
Their support is coming alive now too. Rust got his shit in gear, Smith has been perhaps the BEST wing Malkin has ever had, Zohorna is doing well with Eller, Pettersson is clicking with Karlsson, Graves exists with Letang.

The only thing we need is an upgrade on DOC on the third line to boost it's offensive punch. We get that, we could be right in the mix if, as you said, Jarry doesn't shit the bed.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Their support is coming alive now too. Rust got his shit in gear, Smith has been perhaps the BEST wing Malkin has ever had, Zohorna is doing well with Eller, Pettersson is clicking with Karlsson, Graves exists with Letang.

The only thing we need is an upgrade on DOC on the third line to boost it's offensive punch. We get that, we could be right in the mix if, as you said, Jarry doesn't shit the bed.

If Raks could get going it would help a lot too.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
To be honest in today's game I truly believe Crosby and Malkin are a better 1 2 punch as complete players in their prime than McDavid and Draisitl
I would be willing to have sid and geno rest and call-up McDrai to this exact team right now and see what happens for a couple months

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Crosby needs 40a to get 1000 career assists, Malkin needs 21g to get 500 career goals. If healthy Crosby should be lock, Malkin is very close probably won't get it this year.

41.JPG

Fordy

May 28, 2008
For these past few games, the Pens have looked much closer to how I envisioned them looking before the season started. There are still issues that need to be addressed and I don't trust Sullivan to steer the ship in the right direction, but this is at least an encouraging sign that they might end up in the playoff race.

I'll add that good goaltending goes a long way!
i’m not sure i have any complaints about sullivan this year other than that he obviously should have made these forecheck changes before the season started or ideally 5 years ago and zohorna should have been playing from game 1. carter is riding the pine and i never thought it would happen

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Let’s flip Rak and rust and see if we can get a stew going

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
i’m not sure i have any complaints about sullivan this year other than that he obviously should have made these forecheck changes before the season started or ideally 5 years ago and zohorna should have been playing from game 1. carter is riding the pine and i never thought it would happen
Yeah I never thought he would scratch Carter. That he has done so is interesting. I wonder if Dubas influenced that decision or if Sully just felt the heat of a poor start and knew he needed to change things or else he could get canned.

Also Dubas has already made his presence felt in a big way this season even beyond the major off season moves he made. Changing up the bottom six when it was sucking by calling up big Z and Hinostroza has made a big difference. Hextall when faced with the same scenario sat on his hands until it was too late. Dubas immediately tried to change the bottom six when it stank instead of waiting for it to crater the season.

And now we have a good mix and when Carter did have to come in because of injury he actually played well probably due to a mixture of being motivated over being scratched and just being fresh.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah I never thought he would scratch Carter. That he has done so is interesting. I wonder if Dubas influenced that decision or if Sully just felt the heat of a poor start and knew he needed to change things or else he could get canned.

Also Dubas has already made his presence felt in a big way this season even beyond the major off season moves he made. Changing up the bottom six when it was sucking by calling up big Z and Hinostroza has made a big difference. Hextall when faced with the same scenario sat on his hands until it was too late. Dubas immediately tried to change the bottom six when it stank instead of waiting for it to crater the season.

And now we have a good mix and when Carter did have to come in because of injury he actually played well probably due to a mixture of being motivated over being scratched and just being fresh.
Maybe this is me being high on copium, but I truly believe if we were over 500 right now (if that losing streak continued) Dubas would have forcefully changed the lineup (one way or another)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad