Not open for further replies.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Would love to see Malkin end up leading takeaway statistics since -05 season
t.JPG

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Yes, bu

yes, but his production would have ramped up considerably.

Agreed, both in their primes would've seen their production bolstered in today's game.

Systems in general leaguewide largely emphasize offense and the forecheck instead of interference/trapping now, and interference/hooking/slashing penalties are relatively called more compared to the lul there after 2010 or so. There are fewer big, physical teams wearing bodies down every season. Teams aim to be younger, faster and skilled in general. Obviously, the reduced goalie equipment since 2018. A lot of factors add up to a more favorable game for skill players nowadays.

Also, I'd argue Geno almost certainly would've seen a benefit health wise in today's game as well. His injuries have largely been a lot of recurring/lingering joint injuries, knee/shoulder/elbow surgeries, etc. While yes those injuries happen in any era, for me it's his play style that was always more on the physical side, gave as much as he got, that might've changed in today's game. As a center, he naturally wants the puck on his stick, and with his build he could overpower defenders physically to maintain possession or get to the scoring areas. The downside of which is he was also a target for physical play more so than a player that didn't carry the puck as much. That wear on the body builds up.

Reactions: Ryder71

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
For these past few games, the Pens have looked much closer to how I envisioned them looking before the season started. There are still issues that need to be addressed and I don't trust Sullivan to steer the ship in the right direction, but this is at least an encouraging sign that they might end up in the playoff race.

I'll add that good goaltending goes a long way!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Damn, just had a dream Yotes had a 9-8 lead starting the 3rd period and I woke up thinking between this game and Sharks game we had 20 goals maybe. Karlsson had 5 points.

I also dreamed airplanes were dropping bombs like 8 at a time and I got hit from the blast a little.

Reactions: Ryder71

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
everything +++
except- for not playing L2 last 3-4 minutes after having a monster game and not letting Rakell shot at EN
Yep.

Sullsma gonna Sullsma.

Gotta force GCRust out there for as close to 5 minutes of EN time as you can every game, regardless of circumstances or who deserves what.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
We are currently leading the league in shots for per game, with exactly 35. This includes the abysmal 20-shot game vs. the Kings. Second-place Florida has 34.4 shots for per game.

We are 11-best in shots against per game, with 29.8. The Hurricanes lead this category with exactly 26 shots against per game.

Saves / Shots faced = Sv%
Goals against / games played = GAA
The bolded is mostly true, but GAA is normalized for a 60 minute game. So a goalie with one goal against in a 60 minute game will have exactly 1 GAA, but this will be a higher GAA than a goalie with one goal against who's played either part of or all of an overtime period.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The main board today has a call-out on us "sandbagging him".

He's just going to get better here as he becomes more acclimated. We will see plenty of multipoint games from him.

He's a beast
That poster needs a welfare check. Seriously. Some of the steaming shit takes on the main board are such clear cries for attention, and whether or not it’s part of some schtick, it’s just a very boring way for them to get attention and eyeballs on their posts.

Not that the quality of that board is any worse off for it, mind you

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
3-0 in NO JC era.

Less than 6 min 5 v 5 for Hino is silly with how he played last night.

Good for DOC. Bottom 6 could still use a swap between those 2.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Malkin playing like a man possessed at 37 makes me both extremely happy and extremely fearful he is going to get a bad injury any day now. If only Rakell could get the monkey off his back...

I am happy that the Pens are making many of us eat crow because they looked down and out after the first Ducks game. But let's see them how they handle adversity and a really tough stretch of games before claiming they have really turned the page. A game in which Jarry is not so great and they find a way to win would be very welcome. That said, good to see him recovered and shining, he might be terribly unclutch but when he is solid, he is really solid.

Buffalo having an entire defense of first round picks (okay, Samuelsson is 32nd overall, so basically first round), including three 1OA and still looking like complete clowns in defense was pretty fun to watch. Sure, they were on a back to back and Sid and Geno were great but come on, you gotta be better than that when you have talented D-men. And their special teams were just as bad as the stats suggested. Yes, the result flattered the Pens and the high danger chances were somehow equal but they are going nowhere fast if they regularly play with this lack of structure.

What was with the announcer giving Karlsson's PP goal to Sid and the commentators not reacting at all? Did I hallucinate it because now I see the final stats give it to Karlsson anyway? ;)

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Graves and Shea have taken a step or 2 forward lately. Ruhwedel still sucks but it's good to have at least half of a decent 3rd pairing which doesn't have to be totally sheltered.

I'm looking forward to a Ludvig-Shea pairing which lasts more than half a game, and maybe even having them play close to 15 minutes a night (In April we might be glad that EK didn't need to play 26 minutes a night all season), including PKs.

I hope Sully is looking forward to the same, but he's probably way more likely to restore the POJ-Ruh comedy act than he is to go with Ludvig-Shea.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Well, the 3 Cups kinda tell that story ;)
It's not Just 3 cups it's how soon Crosby and Malkin won and how early they were dominant. Aside from Injuries, the GMs and coaching they had along limited the Geno and Crosby to degree. Malkin prime played with no decent wingers until James Neal, Crosby had a decent Kunitz and a top 9 pascal Dupuis until Guentzel came. And both were putting up MVP seasons and playoffs. I sincerely believe both their hockey I q is far above all the current players today. And proof, look at they are able to produce at 37 and 36.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop w/ Malkin. Because he looks too damn good for a guy that's 37 who's had a laundry list of injuries throughout his career. His skating is that of a person his age in this league. Everything else looks top tier. And frankly Malkin's game never totally relied on speed, anyway. 100ish point pace, two game-winners already (he had three all last year), 55% in the circle (people only talk about this when it's bad), lots of takeaways, and what appears to be a big chip on his shoulder. Maybe having a great fit for a linemate (finally) and one of EK/Letang behind him nearly all game is making that big a difference.

Regardless, the people that wanted to dump him unceremoniously for like Trocheck or Kadri are looking real smart these days.

EDIT: If he gets to the 500 goals mark this season that would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
This team has been fun to watch the last few weeks. Guys are stepping up and becoming likeable. I have been whatever on DOC, but seeing his effort getting rewarded was awesome to see. It's tough to be optimistic when you keep saying the same stuff over and over again, but it's so much easier when guys are playing the right way and finding ways to win. The fact they were going so hard, up by 4, until the final horn was awesome. They were looking for #5 with 10 seconds left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad