Post-Game Talk: | Game VI | Loss | Got nothin

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
I picked the Pens to get swept, so I guess I can’t complain no matter what happens… But I hope the Panthers demolish the Rangers if they play.

That said, I feel like we are going to win for some reason… Probably a bad sign lol.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hmmmmmm. I can't help but shake my head a little, I guess.

Not saying it would have guaranteed a different outcome. And yet...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Soon as the penguins had a two goal lead and went down by 1 I knew... I just knew... even though the rangers lost 8 straight road playoff games... that they'd pull off the great up-in-front-blow-the-lead.

Hoped they'd get the lucky break and get the victory, but.... it's the penguins with a newer version of matt murr...

Jarry said he wanted to prove himself this post-season.... he kinda got his free pass with the injury, but... if he does come back.... this is his moment to prove anything.

I had penguins in 7, but... didn't figure they'd blow 2 straight to get to game 7.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Capitals had the overwhelming majority of the scoring chances, and we scored a couple of fluke goals. We won that game because Fleury bailed us out.
I dunno, I think you are misremembering, that happened in other games but not game 7. Game 7 basically the only big chance from Washington I recall is that OV stick save. Fleury played great but the teams were basically even at worst.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
This is the part that makes it sting. I had low expectations coming into the series, but when the team actually got a 3-1 series lead and kept getting 2-0 leads in games 5 and 6, the expectations rose, and with it the disappointment when they choked.
They didn’t choke.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I am agnostic regarding Sullivan. I am less charitable about poorly considered replacements and just throwing shit to the wall to see what sticks.

f*** Babcock. If I have to explain that, this discussion is useless.

Why don't we take the first coach on your list, Jim Montgomery. I believe in redemption, second and even third chances, but let's think this through. Imagine Ron Hextall approaching the Fenway Sports Group, who just spent $900 million for this franchise, and saying, hey, we need to replace Mike Sulllivan, and I've found your guy. Ignore Jim's DUI in 2018, prior to coaching the Stars. That was a one off. Let's forget that, a year after that, Dallas fired him barely into his second season because of continued concern about his public drinking. And he is certainly more promising than his 4th place Central division finish in his only full year as NHL HC. This is our guy. He will bring us Stanley Cups. Yes, he isn't even two years out of rehab, but this is our guy. Pressure won't faze this dude.

I don't think whoever presents this idea to management/ownership will get a second chance in the room.
I still hope sleepy gets the whole office space treatment at his year end interview (hopefully exit interview).

bobs-interview.gif

(This also applies to Burke)

Last edited:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
This is why I hoped Jarry would have been the back up last night. When Louie gave up his nightly 3 goals in 5 minutes, Jarry could have came in. Win or lose, he could have gotten some game action. Not really sure how much more a broken bone can heal in 2 days. Even pain and flexibility won't improve significantly in 2 days

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Really a blown decision if Jarry was healthy enough to play last night. Even if they lose, dude is gonna be rusty AF. Get him some live action before a game 7. Jeez.

It’s Sullivan what do you expect. It’s the same guy who forced marleau into games out respect. It’s the same guy who refuses to play match ups because he doesn’t believe in them. It’s the same guy who didn’t want to break up GCR out of respect for the team.

Sullivan hasn’t made one tough coaching decisions since he puller Fleury for Murray.

I miss the old sully but he’s be gone for years and doesn’t look like he will be coming back.

TBF I am extremely over Sullivan and Biased. But man I use to be such a big fan of his which sucks to see him slowly become bylsma like.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bummer of a game for sure. Hate to see Louis end his time here on that goal too. The guy is a 3rd string goalie and he had played relatively well considering. Sucks he likely ends his time here with a very 3rd string goal against. Both for him and the team obviously. And he's probably a dumb penalty or two from the guys in front of him away from being a folk hero who wins the series and hands the reigns back over to Jarry anyway. Just sucks.

That said, I hope Jarry plays. For one he's obviously just better. But two, that feels like the kind of goal that could get in a goalie's head.

His blocker double handed technique is very flawed and some of those were not even on net. I'm gonna say that's his panic move.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It seems like you hate Sullivan more than you want the Pens to win. It's not realistic to expect the coach to inspire Domingue to play better. There's not much you can do when your goalie gives up a 60 foot shot
It seems like you're picking a post rather than seeing what I've said about Louis. We've all mostly maintained he's done as well as a third goalie could do and maybe 2 goals in this game he should have had given his experience but it's whatever.

Team defense, lack of pressure in the second and third, usage of DoC when Boyle was out, all of that is on Sullivan. The lack of options, that's on Sullivan. When you actively choose to not play youth when you could have to see what you have and keep playing veterans to death, you've done yourself zero favors. When Boyle got hurt, he could have played O'Connor more as he was having a strong showing.

Flipping this into a Louis thing is weak af.

Edit: POJ should have been played. Puustinen should have had a longer look. Doc should have been tried in the top 6, Bellerive should have been tried on the 4th line, Poulin during his hot streak should have been given a look.

Non of that happened. Instead we saw Boyle and Carter get a ton of games and in carter's case, a lot of ice time for a player looking tired, way too long of a look for Rodrigues in the top 6 when he was ass for 40-45 games after his hot 30-35 game start. Kapanen needed to sit for longer during his struggle to send a stronger message.

You can love Sully all you want, this shit has been ongoing for almost 4yrs. Slowly he's decided to say f*** off to youth and accountability.
Funny how Sully and everyone hates physical players, because we don't want to partake in any shenanigans that may lead to a penalty. I mean, that's ultimately the reason right?

Yet the biggest penalties in the series, in which guys lost their minds and retaliated, have been ERod, Geno, and Jake. And we see it every year.

Point is, it's a myth that guys like Reaves, Wilson, etc cost their teams by taking crucial penalties in the playoffs. It's the guys that get bullied that are the ones losing their minds
God forbid during an injury to a vet we play the young lad that was showing physicality and jump in his incredible 4-5mins.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His blocker double handed technique is very flawed and some of those were not even on net. I'm gonna say that's his panic move.
The problem with Louis is that because he was hurt like twice this season, he also didn't spend enough time with Chiodo to fix anything. A lot of his issues I think if he was healthy and played 30-40 in the ahl, could have been sorted. He fights the puck a lot, almost lunges at shots with his blocker and has zero rebound control. He's done an admirable job behind a team that has hung their goalies out to dry a lot. Hard to fault him.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
It seems like you're picking a post rather than seeing what I've said about Louis. We've all mostly maintained he's done as well as a third goalie could do and maybe 2 goals in this game he should have had given his experience but it's whatever.

Team defense, lack of pressure in the second and third, usage of DoC when Boyle was out, all of that is on Sullivan. The lack of options, that's on Sullivan. When you actively choose to not play youth when you could have to see what you have and keep playing veterans to death, you've done yourself zero favors. When Boyle got hurt, he could have played O'Connor more as he was having a strong showing.

Flipping this into a Louis thing is weak af.

Edit: POJ should have been played. Puustinen should have had a longer look. Doc should have been tried in the top 6, Bellerive should have been tried on the 4th line, Poulin during his hot streak should have been given a look.

Non of that happened. Instead we saw Boyle and Carter get a ton of games and in carter's case, a lot of ice time for a player looking tired, way too long of a look for Rodrigues in the top 6 when he was ass for 40-45 games after his hot 30-35 game start. Kapanen needed to sit for longer during his struggle to send a stronger message.

You can love Sully all you want, this shit has been ongoing for almost 4yrs. Slowly he's decided to say f*** off to youth and accountability.

God forbid during an injury to a vet we play the young lad that was showing physicality and jump in his incredible 4-5mins.
Louis was forced into a position he's barely capable of, the loss is on him but it's not that much of a disappointment though since he is a third string goalie. And I love how you brush off two bad goals as "whatever" do you can get back to your predetermined rant on Sullivan. Two goals in an NHL game is enormous, and the difference last night.

You've always been one of the most unreasonable posters in this board though, including claiming that Sullivan was trying to sabotage Jarry's career, so this comes as no surprise.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The problem with Louis is that because he was hurt like twice this season, he also didn't spend enough time with Chiodo to fix anything. A lot of his issues I think if he was healthy and played 30-40 in the ahl, could have been sorted. He fights the puck a lot, almost lunges at shots with his blocker and has zero rebound control. He's done an admirable job behind a team that has hung their goalies out to dry a lot. Hard to fault him.

I think Domingue has gotten them far and with some resolve by the players in front of him in those outbursts they are already resting.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Louis was forced into a position he's barely capable of, the loss is on him but it's not that much of a disappointment though since he is a third string goalie. And I love how you brush off two bad goals as "whatever" do you can get back to your predetermined rant on Sullivan. Two goals in an NHL game is enormous, and the difference last night.

You've always been one of the most unreasonable posters in this board though, including claiming that Sullivan was trying to sabotage Jarry's career, so this comes as no surprise.
Claiming that Jarry was being over played down the stretch when they should have been rotating more isn't a claim of sabotage, it's a claim of resting your starter more before the playoffs and getting him in games to stay sharp.

You've been an insanely whiny poster and can kindly piss off back to the ignore list.

Bunnychow

Jun 15, 2016
I think Domingue has gotten them far and with some resolve by the players in front of him in those outbursts they are already resting.

Yup. It's just bad coaching to lose TWO STRAIGHT 2-0 leads.

If the Pens locked down, paid attention on Defense, etc. they would be resting. Look at those goals the gave up... they got caught with 3 down low trying to SCORE! SCORE! SCORE! and give up easy 3 on 2 shots. We know LD isn't a great goalie... so what do we do? Stick our heads in sand and coach/play like we have Hasek Prime as our 3rd Goalie....

You can't do that with LD or injury returning Jarry.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Eh, if we sat back and gave up the leads everyone would rightly complain. I think Sullivan actually deserves better this series. Can't believe the amount of criticism after what we've seen. But everyone picked sides long ago.

He can be fired end of season and I'd be fine. He record isn't spotless. He's had letdowns. But he's done right by this team in '22 I would say.

I know I'm a fool for even posting this.

Reactions: Turin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad