Post-Game Talk: | Game VI | Loss | Got nothin

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Even if Sid can’t go getting Jarry and Rakell back would be enough to win Sunday but I’m feeling optimistic about Sid for no real reason

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
“Pittsburgh out-attempted the rangers 54-44 at 5v5 and 11-7 in high-danger attempts. The Penguins had a 61.77 advantage in xGF%. The Penguins lead the playoffs in xGF% at 62.05.

Expected goals don’t win games

- internet troll

Yeah, about that. The Penguins lead the playoffs with 20 goals average over three goals per game. The players have done everything they’ve needed to do. How do you own the xGF% and total goals and find yourself in a Game 7? Goaltending.”

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I saw a clip of Guentzel clean legal hockey play on Trouba last night. That's great to see a response and all but it's the wrong way to go. Needs to be directed at Kakko or Panarin or Zib. The only way to really send a message.

No, you aren't getting it. It is Sully and more so "Sleepy's" fault that our 3rd string AHL goalie has only won 3 of his 6 games. This will not stand, you know. ;)

I honestly hope we keep the King next year :laugh:

Reactions: Trade and Anya6687

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
“Pittsburgh out-attempted the rangers 54-44 at 5v5 and 11-7 in high-danger attempts. The Penguins had a 61.77 advantage in xGF%. The Penguins lead the playoffs in xGF% at 62.05.

- internet troll

Yeah, about that. The Penguins lead the playoffs with 20 goals average over three goals per game. The players have done everything they’ve needed to do. How do you own the xGF% and total goals and find yourself in a Game 7? Goaltending.”

The game was pretty even. We don’t need some fancy stats to tell us that. Maybe you but not me. Post and post and post.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I am agnostic regarding Sullivan. I am less charitable about poorly considered replacements and just throwing shit to the wall to see what sticks.

f*** Babcock. If I have to explain that, this discussion is useless.

Why don't we take the first coach on your list, Jim Montgomery. I believe in redemption, second and even third chances, but let's think this through. Imagine Ron Hextall approaching the Fenway Sports Group, who just spent $900 million for this franchise, and saying, hey, we need to replace Mike Sulllivan, and I've found your guy. Ignore Jim's DUI in 2018, prior to coaching the Stars. That was a one off. Let's forget that, a year after that, Dallas fired him barely into his second season because of continued concern about his public drinking. And he is certainly more promising than his 4th place Central division finish in his only full year as NHL HC. This is our guy. He will bring us Stanley Cups. Yes, he isn't even two years out of rehab, but this is our guy. Pressure won't faze this dude.

I don't think whoever presents this idea to management/ownership will get a second chance in the room.
People are just looking for stuff to blame. I’ve been on Sullivan all year about his lines but he’s been good in the playoffs save a couple decisions like putting Carter out on the first line. Sullivan isn’t close to the reason the Pens are losing. We have to score 5 goals a game to win and do it without Sid Rakell and Dumo? We need better goaltending. It’s not Domingue’s fault but we need better.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
People are just looking for stuff to blame. I’ve been on Sullivan all year about his lines but he’s been good in the playoffs save a couple decisions like putting Carter out on the first line. Sullivan isn’t close to the reason the Pens are losing. We have to score 5 goals a game to win and do it without Sid Rakell and Dumo? We need better goaltending. It’s not Domingue’s fault but we need better.
e=Even with Loui in, we still winning this easily if our special Team play is at least even, not just abysnal, and for that you have to put the blame on the coaching staff. Its not like it showed up only during the playoffs, it has been in nosedive decline way into the season and the coaching staff did ZILCH to change that, same guys, same shit, I posted just about every game in the season how our PK sucks once TJ cooled off...and nothing has changed, same lumber, getting pinned down half ass waving their sticks, etc...PP whats to say there...Thats on coaching, They did great job setting up 5 on 5 but obviously thats only half of the story.
Sully said last night they will work on PK and PP for Game 7. Well how the f*** you gonna work on that and what will you change? Why did not you change that before. Please don't tell me thats not on coaching staff.

Anyways just sick to my stomach still this morning...I can't beleive that we would lose this series in which we were obviously better hockey club

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't really have a huge problem with Sullivan this series. Though if you botch a 3-1 series lead... more heads should roll than just the players.

Now Todd Reirden, on the other hand...

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
e=Even with Loui in, we still winning this easily if our special Team play is at least even, not just abysnal, and for that you have to put the blame on the coaching staff. Its not like it showed up only during the playoffs, it has been in nosedive decline way into the season and the coaching staff did ZILCH to change that, same guys, same shit, I posted just about every game in the season how our PK sucks once TJ cooled off...and nothing has changed, same lumber, getting pinned down half ass waving their sticks, etc...PP whats to say there...Thats on coaching, They did great job setting up 5 on 5 but obviously thats only half of the story.
Sully said last night they will work on PK and PP for Game 7. Well how the f*** you gonna work on that and what will you change? Why did not you change that before. Please don't tell me thats not on coaching staff.

Anyways just sick to my stomach still this morning...I can't beleive that we would lose this series in which we were obviously better hockey club

I hear you brother. The way Crosby went out like that and the Rangers scoring the next 3 the way they did took everything out of me. I'm still sick over game 5.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I don't really have a huge problem with Sullivan this series. Though if you botch a 3-1 series lead... more heads should roll than just the players.

Now Todd Reirden, on the other hand...
Reirden needs to go. I’ve had enough of his special teams work, and this wild gesticulating and overdone coaching before we start PPs is annoying at this point when you see the pile of shit that follows on almost every PP. Our structure makes no sense and neither do our entries. I’ve never seen Letang and Malkin as discombobulated on entries as they’ve been this series, to the point of them running into each other and passing to empty ice. PPs are simple. Get the puck and bodies to the net. Every time Shesterkin gets pucks at his feet he has problems, chaos around the net almost always results in a goal. But we’re trying to create masterpieces out there. Schemes are too complicated. I haven’t seen a single Malkin bomb from the point all series. Inexcusable, especially on 5 on 3.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
But, but, but he is the d whisperer and special teams guru

Obviously it's always on the players to execute. But clearly whatever they have been trying hasn't worked and I can't see any real adjustments made. Lots of set plays going nowhere. Trying to insist on making a miracle pass through the triangle on the 5 on 3 while everyone else kinda stands around. Personnel issues particularly re: position. Entries are a hot mess.

A large part of why they are going to lose this series is on special teams. I'm not trying to deflect blame completely off the players but I see no reason why Reirden shouldn't share in some of the failure, here.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

I guess you can blame special teams but even with that we win handily if we get a couple easy saves.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's a weird feeling because I can't really blame Domingue but I also just can't get past how bad the goaltending has been.

It's like... it's his fault but also not his fault. What a dumb, massively frustrating situation to be in. The vast majority of the team is largely doing a good enough job to win, particularly considering what they have to work with.

Sure but Reirden is an assistant. If he is failing at his job, it ultimately comes back to the head coach to fix it.

I'm not going to fight Sullivan's battles too hard for him, either. At this point it seems like it's probably time to move on. It would feel really unfair in a lot of ways if the core is busted up after this but Sullivan is still sitting behind the bench next season like he's made of Teflon.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's a weird feeling because I can't really blame Domingue but I also just can't get past how bad the goaltending has been.

It's like... it his fault but also not his fault. What a dumb, massively frustrating situation to be in. The vast majority of the team is largely doing a good enough job to win, particularly considering what they have to work with.
It’s never one persons fault. The 2nd periods of the last 2 games take a team effort on/off the ice to f*** up that badly.

Great first periods

2nd periods ALL ABOARD

1652540806660.gif

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I'd like them to win because I hate the Rags. But ultimately who cares? We've lost 5 guys due to injury this series. Think about that. Not to mention the guys that are playing through obvious injuries (Geno, Zucker).

Does anyone in their right mind believe this team could physically make it through 3 more series?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And yeah you can't blame one guy but... for real... let's just look at what's in front of us. It's not Domingue's fault that he has been thrust into this position. But this isn't a two game sample size or something. The guy is letting in like 4 goals a game including routine laughers. The team is already stretched about as thin as it can be... it cannot take the additional stress of a leaky net.

It's as unfair to expect the Penguins to play an absolutely flawless game (especially with a devastated roster) as it is blaming it all on the goaltender.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Also... and I'm sure this has been highlighted plenty of times already but it bears emphasis... the second period is a f***ing hellscape, shitshow-nightmare for this team. Their goddamned Waterloo. Some kind of Kafka-esque fever dream. A real sonofabitch.

EDIT: @Tom Hanks read my mind.
Nah. We’ve had great second periods too. The playoffs take everyone to be on board all the time. Two mistakes can sink you. Especially if you’re short handed. A selfish penalty and two bad goals are hard to overcome without the players we’re missing. I think we’ve been the better team 90% of the series. I think Jarry will be in net in game 7, and you have to hope he’ll be great. If we can just pull out one win we will get healthy reinforcements and that would be a big lift for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad