Players who have PK'd somewhat regularly:

Erod
Blu
Carter
Rust
McGinn

That's plenty to choose from if Boyle is out

KK has done it in Toronto, but not here
I understand that, but have you noticed who the first two PK forwards usually are? TB and Boyle. Not saying that taking Boyle out is the wrong move, I am just stating what I think Sully is thinking.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
The real question is where does Rakell play? If the plan is to put him with Heinen and Geno, then KK could be a healthy scratch, but he has been playing very well in this series, so maybe McGinn, but Brock brings the energy every shift. The right answer is either Boyle because outside of being a big body and PK, he doesn't bring much, or Carter because even though Carter gets some points here and there, his legs need a rest. I'd much rather be where the Pens are now where it is hard to decide who to take out and instead of where they were before where it was hard to decide who deserved to play. The only other thing I can think of that could help figure out what Sully will do, is that Sully seems to like to favor guys who are strong in the faceoff so it gives Carter, Boyle and ERod an advantage over McGinn, KK or Heinen.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The real question is where does Rakell play? If the plan is to put him with Heinen and Geno, then KK could be a healthy scratch, but he has been playing very well in this series, so maybe McGinn, but Brock brings the energy every shift. The right answer is either Boyle because outside of being a big body and PK, he doesn't bring much, or Carter because even though Carter gets some points here and there, his legs need a rest. I'd much rather be where the Pens are now where it is hard to decide who to take out and instead of where they were before where it was hard to decide who deserved to play. The only other thing I can think of that could help figure out what Sully will do, is that Sully seems to like to favor guys who are strong in the faceoff so it gives Carter, Boyle and ERod an advantage over McGinn, KK or Heinen.
Boyle is an odd man out, Sully already showed that in the few games before the end of the regular seson when Zucker was back. It won't hurt Boyler to take a break, someone will get hurt and he will be back

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Boyle is an odd man out, Sully already showed that in the few games before the end of the regular seson when Zucker was back. It won't hurt Boyler to take a break, someone will get hurt and he will be back
This. We can actually make some pretty potent lines with Rakell back.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Heinen-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-Carter-Kapanen
ERod-Bluger-McGinn

even though the smart coach with switch Carter and Bleuger. I also wouldn't hate:

Jake-Sid-Rust
Heinen-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-ERod-Kapanen
Carter-Bleuger-McGinn

or

Jake-Sid-Rust
Heinen-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-Bleuger-ERod
McGinn-Carter-Kapanen

Last edited:
Reactions: HandshakeLine

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Rakell ain't coming back for game 5, so it's kinda a moot point, no?
I would say that you are most likely correct if you follow the Penguins usual injury timelines. However if the series was tied I could understand wanting to rush him back. Seeing as the team has won 3 games without him, I don't think Sully feels any pressure to put him in yet. Sully is most likely going to just phone it in and play the same line-up that he had the last 2 games. They have done well, so why not. However the forwards have not been the issue in this round. The problem is that the current top D pairing are the ones that are getting scored on. MM and Letang should never be out together unless it is a powerplay. Play Petts with Letang, lower Letang's minutes slightly and give those minutes to MM and Marino. If Dumo makes it back put Dumo on the 3rd with Ruh as a checking pair.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Whenever RR returns I would try him in Heinen's current spot, first. And if Kap turns into a pumpkin again there, instead... with Heinen back to 2LW. Kap has had OK results with Carter in the past and Heinen can play RW and fill in there on L3, too. Keep Zucker on that 3LW, regardless... he's been the big bright spot there since his return and is going a long way towards any success that line is having. McGinn down to L4 as a REAL nice luxury that deep in the lineup.

I imagine the team probably wants to find a way to get back to Zucker/Malkin/RR but I wouldn't try to galaxy brain this thing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Honestly, I'd expect Jarry to get back in the lineup faster than Rakell, simply because we're really walking the knife's edge with King Louie.

6c92c749a7af78bea0e48a4ab2a2e5db3e667c55.gif

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Jake-Sid-Rust
Heinen-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-Carter-Kapanen
ERod-Bluger-McGinn

even though the smart coach with switch Carter and Bleuger.
A smart coach might go…
GCR
Rakell-G-Kap
Zucker-Blue-Carter
Heinen-EROd-McGinn

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Jake-Sid-Rust
Heinen-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-Carter-Kapanen
ERod-Bluger-McGinn

even though the smart coach with switch Carter and Bleuger. I also wouldn't hate:

Jake-Sid-Rust
Heinen-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-ERod-Kapanen
Carter-Bleuger-McGinn

or

Jake-Sid-Rust
Heinen-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-Bleuger-ERod
McGinn-Carter-Kapanen
man, look at that roster...if each of them can produce up to their abilities and strengths, they are as good and deep as anyone

Reactions: SEALBound

RSPens

May 25, 2015
With how well Sid and Jake have been playing, Sully could probably even put ERod back up there and maybe finally light a spark in Rust. Or at least enjoy the spoils of having Rust and Rakell deeper in the line-up. But the smart coach stays with what is working, so unless Rakell and Jarry are 100% or the teams back is against the wall going into a game 7, this is the line-up/lines we will be seeing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the issue is Carter's speed which is weird because dude has 7 goals through 10 playoff games with us so who gives a shit lol.

eh, I don‘t know if it’s straight line foot speed…I think he’s late anticipating and picking up man defensively and he doesn’t go hard…maybe an injury but he’s less hard to play against than Geno…I don’t think he can go 200 feet…I think we should scale back his defensive responsibility by moving him to wing…

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For what it's worth, the fancy stats say that Carter's got significantly worse results with Zucker on ice with him. Which I have to admit, isn't what I wasn't expecting for it to say.

edit: While I'm trawling through stats, Matheson-Letang need to be better to stay together once Dumo is back, Friedman-Ruh are having a party but don't expect it to last, and what a moment for Pettersson-Marino to play their best...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
For what it's worth, the fancy stats say that Carter's got significantly worse results with Zucker on ice with him. Which I have to admit, isn't what I wasn't expecting for it to say.

edit: While I'm trawling through stats, Matheson-Letang need to be better to stay together once Dumo is back, Friedman-Ruh are having a party but don't expect it to last, and what a moment for Pettersson-Marino to play their best...

Getzoff basically said Dumo is dead on Marek’s show today.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I'm not trying to pick on the guy because he's had some important moments in this series and has his goal total here but I think Carter is just kinda struggling with everyone. Though that is surprising. Here in the playoffs at least... Zucker seems like the big driver of success on that line. And McGinn is just a flat-out playoffs kinda guy.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1