Game On!!! Lockout Over

King Panther

ElGrandeDbagSupreme
Feb 28, 2010
Fullerton, CA
This kind of **** is defintely not OK. Though, you're fooling yourself thinking you're sending any kind of financial message to the NHL. Go see the "boycott" thread in the main boards. It's mostly people saying "Take my money please NHL!!". The desire for hockey is bigger than the disdain.

That might be true. But Im naive enough to believe that there will be a lot of people who wont be as anxious to spend as much as they once did. So maybe I'll be part of the message. Or maybe I'll be saving a few bucks. If it ends up going no farther than my own brain and this thread, so be it, but Im sticking to my guns. I'll just spend my money on jerseys and merch from the NFL.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
That might be true. But Im naive enough to believe that there will be a lot of people who wont be as anxious to spend as much as they once did. So maybe I'll be part of the message. Or maybe I'll be saving a few bucks. If it ends up going no farther than my own brain and this thread, so be it, but Im sticking to my guns. I'll just spend my money on jerseys and merch from the NFL.

I can respect that.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I dont think the return is going to be anywhere near that. Vancouver needs to move him more than we need to trade for him, and with him really wanting to play for the Panthers, it puts us in control. Sure, Vancouver can waive him, but if they want anything in return, Tallon will have the upper hand. This is what Vancouver fans fail to realize. They can ask for Bjugstad, Steeger, Flash, etc. all they want, but they are going to be severely disappointed when they see the return. If a deal were to happen, I expect nothing more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder, a 2nd tier prospect, and salary going to Vancouver.

Totally agree. Tallon has all the leverage here. Luongo is the one with major interest in Florida, not so much the other way around. All the pressure is on Vancouver to get rid of him, he is just a wasted asset at this point if he isn't their starter.

Your package seems right, but I think even a 2nd is pushing it.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
any particular reason why you're saying that? Have a source? Just asking, I haven't seen anything concrete, just a bunch more speculation.

I don't have anything particularly new, just going by what's been said on the trade rumors board. There's tons of smoke about Toronto. It just looks like Toronto. The only basis for Florida seems to just be the same old Luongo's 1st choice is Florida, or the Panthers players want him. That's not really strong evidence to me.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I don't have anything particularly new, just going by what's been said on the trade rumors board. There's tons of smoke about Toronto. It just looks like Toronto. The only basis for Florida seems to just be the same old Luongo's 1st choice is Florida, or the Panthers players want him. That's not really strong evidence to me.

I agree. I'd be more than happy to pass on Luongo if it means giving up one of Bjugstad, Howden, Petrovic, etc. Just not worth it to me. Theodore will get us through fine, and we have Markstrom waiting. So unless we can get him on our terms then I doubt anything really happens there.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

Thats because your reading this on the trade rumors board. Half the board is probably Toronto fans.

The thing is he has a no trade clause, and Florida is his preference. Until Florida says yes or no to Luongo, then we are the first and only choice.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I agree. I'd be more than happy to pass on Luongo if it means giving up one of Bjugstad, Howden, Petrovic, etc. Just not worth it to me. Theodore will get us through fine, and we have Markstrom waiting. So unless we can get him on our terms then I doubt anything really happens there.

Yeah, which is I think Tallon's attitude too. If he can get Luongo on his terms, then fine. If not, then I don't see him budging.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Are you sure?

Im sure thats what the message said not sure how reliable the sales rep is.

An Aside I would like to see us maybe sign jason arnott or daymond langkow to take some pressure off our still lack of depth at Center I dont think we should thrust huberdeau into that role so quickly.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Thats because your reading this on the trade rumors board. Half the board is probably Toronto fans.

The thing is he has a no trade clause, and Florida is his preference. Until Florida says yes or no to Luongo, then we are the first and only choice.

It's not just the fans' posts I'm reading, there's a lot of tweets and articles. One Sportsnet reporter is basically staking his reputation on it. Florida may be his preference, but if we don't up the ante, then Luongo may have to look somewhere else. He's said that he will let Gillis do what is best for the Canucs. I can see Tallon being perfectly willing to drag this out until he gets what he considers a deal on his terms, he has nothing to lose. But other parties do have something to lose here.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Im sure thats what the message said not sure how reliable the sales rep is.

An Aside I would like to see us maybe sign jason arnott or daymond langkow to take some pressure off our still lack of depth at Center I dont think we should thrust huberdeau into that role so quickly.

Would just love him on a one or two year deal. Been wanting him on the Panthers for a couple seasons now.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Just got a message from panthers sales rep saying opening night January 19th at home versus the Capitals.

I'm not lying to you, I had a dream about a week ago that the lockout ended and the first game back we played the caps.

Nick Cee ‏December 28th
I had a dream last night that the lockout ended, weird.
Expand

That's all my proof I have, but I am not joking. :laugh:

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
For what it's worth...

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21511527/roberto-luongo-says-he-has-given-canucks-gm-green-light-for-deal

Not anything we don't already know. Panthers have first right of refusal... and then Luongo goes to the Leafs.

Also, as far as Gudbranson goes, he's in Florida now. There's always the chance that, during camp, they deem him not ready for the NHL due to his injury. I'm hoping he's good to play here.
http://instagram.com/p/UMhUDcgsOX/

Erik Gudbranson ‏@Guddy44
Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes! Off to bed for now, first skate with the boys tomorrow morning

Last edited:

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
For what it's worth...

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21511527/roberto-luongo-says-he-has-given-canucks-gm-green-light-for-deal

Not anything we don't already know. Panthers have first right of refusal... and then Luongo goes to the Leafs.

Also, as far as Gudbranson goes, he's in Florida now. There's always the chance that, during camp, they deem him not ready for the NHL due to his injury. I'm hoping he's good to play here.
http://instagram.com/p/UMhUDcgsOX/

I'm sure Tallon pulls the trigger, Gillis will budge, Burke won't have anything better to give Gillis anyways.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
I'm sure Tallon pulls the trigger, Gillis will budge, Burke won't have anything better to give Gillis anyways.

I don't know... it's like going to a gas station and the attendant paying ME to take a soda. We don't need Luongo, and we barely want him. Whole thing makes Gillis seam like a snake oil salesman.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I don't know... it's like going to a gas station and the attendant paying ME to take a soda. We don't need Luongo, and we barely want him. Whole thing makes Gillis seam like a snake oil salesman.

I think we want Luongo, I don't think it would've gotten this much attention if Tallon wasn't interested. I think he could do good for our team, I have a feeling this is Theodore's last year to start with, I'm worried if Markstrom doesn't impress who do we go to? Clemmer?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Burke will offer more because the Leafs actually need a goalie. The rumor is Bozak and Kadri, that's the equivalent of Goc and Howden for us. Why on Earth would we give up that much or anything close to it when we have two capable proven goalies and Markstrom in the wings? Tallon will continue to lowball, and the Leafs will probably offer a better package by the time the CBA is ratified.

Panthers are Red

Why so sad?
Jun 27, 2011
By my computer
Just saw that salary and cap can be retained in trades. I guess that could dramatically alter out interest, and the value of Luongo, if the Canucks were willing to continue paying some of his salary.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
I think we want Luongo, I don't think it would've gotten this much attention if Tallon wasn't interested. I think he could do good for our team, I have a feeling this is Theodore's last year to start with, I'm worried if Markstrom doesn't impress who do we go to? Clemmer?

I think you want Luongo. I think Tallon's interest is more in getting a goalie for practically nothing. To use another shopping analogy, it's like when your grandmother buys something she has absolutely no use for because "It was on sale!!".

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The Canucks can retain up to 50% salary cap, but they can't retain salary. Salary is still more important for a team like the Panthers.

CoolburnIsGone

The Canucks can retain up to 50% salary cap, but they can't retain salary. Salary is still more important for a team like the Panthers.
Thats inaccurate according to LeBrun. The Canucks can retain both salary cap and actual salary dollars up to 50%. But they changed the back-diving contract penalties so that both teams would be on the hook for future cap hits if Luongo retired. So I think a lot of teams may wait out Gillis allowing them to absorb more of the future cap hit as well. See what LeBrun said below:
Here are the main parameters of the rule: A club cannot absorb more than 50 percent of the players’ annual cap hit/salary in any trade. Any NHL club can only have up to three contracts on their payroll in which the contract was traded away under the retaining salary proviso. Also, only up to 15 percent of your upper limit cap amount can be used up by the money you have retained in trades.

For example, let’s say the Maple Leafs want to trade little-used blueliner Mike Komisarek and his $4.5-million cap hit ($3.5 million salary this year) to the New York Islanders (hypothetically). The Leafs could retain half the cap hit -- $2.25 million -- and half the salary -- $1.75 million -- in order to facilitate the deal. The Islanders would pay him the other half. This should facilitate more trades around the league, no question.

THE LUONGO RULE
This is another rule from the league aimed at hammering current back-diving deals (front-loaded, "cheat deals"). However, this has changed from its original form when the NHL first proposed it in October.

In the original formula, if a player like Roberto Luongo was traded and retired before the end of his deal, the Canucks (the team who signed him to the contract) would assume his remaining $5.33-million cap early hit in retirement. The new rule in this tentative agreement is different. Now, for any contract in excess of six years, both teams involved in a trade on a contract like Luongo’s would be penalized if he retired before the end of his deal.

To wit: let’s say the Canucks trade Luongo soon. Luongo has played two years of his 12-year contract, the Canucks paying him $16.716 million in salary but only absorbing a $5.33 million cap hit each year. That’s a cap savings of $6.056 million over two years so far for Vancouver. Under this new rule, should the Canucks trade him now and he retires with three years left on his contract, Vancouver would be charged that $6.056 million in cap savings over the final three years left on his deal from 2019 to 2022. However, let’s say for argument’s sake Luongo gets traded to Toronto, the Maple Leafs also would be subject to cap penalties if Luongo retires before the end of his deal.

To wit, part 2: If Luongo were to play the next seven years of his deal in Toronto before retiring, the Leafs would be paying him $43.666 million in salary but only counting $37.31 million against the cap over those seven years, a cap savings of $6.356 million. So if Luongo retires with three years left on his deal (because his salary falls to $1.618 million in the 10th year and then $1 million in the last two years of the deal), the Leafs would get charged that $6.356 million on their cap spread evenly over the remaining three years of his deal.

And obviously, if players under these back-diving deals are never traded, but retire before the end of their deals (Marian Hossa in Chicago), their current teams get charged the cap savings spread evenly over the remaining years of the deal.

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21219/trades-cheat-deals-and-more-cba-details

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad