Game On!!! Lockout Over

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I actually think he would probably be the better choice than Theodore at this point, but I guess it would be better for him to develop than to start him early.

Clemm would be the one moved, I think. Markstrom and Theo could be a great duo.
I'm more than fine with Markstrom staying in the A, though. May be the best decision.

Honest question here....

If David Booth were to hit the trade market again, at the right price would you want him back in Florida for a second chance?

No, there's a reason that contract was moved. If he were to hit the FA market he could be back, but not traded for.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Honest question here....

If David Booth were to hit the trade market again, at the right price would you want him back in Florida for a second chance?

Nope, Loved him before the hit. After that he wasnt the same. All he did was storm down the slot and shoot from a bad angle.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Honest question here....

in a trade? no

if the canucks used their amnesty clause on him and he became a UFA - yes. i'd take him back in a second, as long as it was on reasonable terms, which his current contract is not.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I wouldn't bring back any former Panthers still in the league who weren't a part of last year's playoff run.

Not even for a minor role on the team.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Clemm would be the one moved, I think. Markstrom and Theo could be a great duo.
I'm more than fine with Markstrom staying in the A, though. May be the best decision.

Honestly if we are strictly looking at what gives us the best chance for a run this year, theo markstrom is the way to go. The best goalie tandem will win this sprint. And with Markstrom on fire, and Theo flip flopping with him, id put this tandem against any other teams in the entire NHL. yes even 7uongo.

Is Markstrom better served in the AHL one more year? I dont know, good arguments on both sides.

Theo markstrom, under these circumstances, would even give us a chance to get to the finals. REally.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Next year has me wondering what DT is going to do with the goalies. Since the day we signed Theo, I always saw him as the future mentor for Markie (with all the talk about how he wants to retire a Panther etc.), but the extra year DT gave to Clemmer has me confused. Of course, Clemmer could be traded for a late pick (or waived), he's still a serviceable backup after all. :huh:

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Next year has me wondering what DT is going to do with the goalies. Since the day we signed Theo, I always saw him as the future mentor for Markie (with all the talk about how he wants to retire a Panther etc.), but the extra year DT gave to Clemmer has me confused. Of course, Clemmer could be traded for a late pick (or waived), he's still a serviceable backup after all. :huh:

This is why i thought Markstrom should be up this yr with theo and clemmer should have been done.

IMHO

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
This is why i thought Markstrom should be up this yr with theo and clemmer should have been done.

IMHO

Markstrom needs a year in the AHL to build his game and confidence. With the condensed season he may even get some starts at the NHL level.

Next season the starters job is his to lose.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

IMHO
Good thing that there will be many teams looking for a backup next summer, assuming that team doesn't re-sign their current one of course:

- Flyers, is Leighton really a guy who they can rely on behind Bryz?
- Hawks, needles to say, their tandem hasn't been the same since Niemi left.
- Habs, Budaj re-signed? We'll see.
- Leafs, the never ending question about Leafs goaltending.
- Oilers, Bulin Wall is as good as gone at this point in his career.
- Yotes, not likely, but could happen.

I left divisional rivals out, since I doubt DT wants to help them get better. Also teams with a young potential future number 1 in the AHL who could make the jump next year.

CoolburnIsGone

Good thing that there will be many teams looking for a backup next summer, assuming that team doesn't re-sign their current one of course:

- Flyers, is Leighton really a guy who they can rely on behind Bryz?
- Hawks, needles to say, their tandem hasn't been the same since Niemi left.
- Habs, Budaj re-signed? We'll see.
- Leafs, the never ending question about Leafs goaltending.
- Oilers, Bulin Wall is as good as gone at this point in his career.
- Yotes, not likely, but could happen.

I left divisional rivals out, since I doubt DT wants to help them get better. Also teams with a young potential future number 1 in the AHL who could make the jump next year.
A lot will really depend on what happens with Luongo TBH. If he goes to the Leafs, then they are fine with him and one of Scrivens/Reimer as backup. Oilers were also rumored to be interested in Luongo at one point too so they may not be that desparate for a backup. Also Boston is an interesting situation too with Rask having been injured during the lockout and who knows if he can take the reigns with Timmy T gone.

Personally, I think Clemmer would be fine as a split starter with Markstrom for next yr. Clemmer can handle around 35-40 games and Markstrom can handle the rest just fine. So long as we let Markstrom keep playing starters mins this yr which is significant for his development.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Also Boston is an interesting situation too with Rask having been injured during the lockout and who knows if he can take the reigns with Timmy T gone.
I'm not questioning Rask at all, he's a bona-fide number 1 and he proved it last year already. And he hasn't been injured, played in the Czech league for HC Plzen (17 games, 2.11 GAA, .924 SVS%) and IIRC lifted that club from the bottom to the top of the standings during his time there.

Khudobin has played pretty well this season in the KHL (26 games, 2.96 GAA, .912 SVS%), so I think they'll re-sign him since there is really no one else in the system after Rask and him, Subban is years away from the NHL at this point.

Personally, I think Clemmer would be fine as a split starter with Markstrom for next yr. Clemmer can handle around 35-40 games and Markstrom can handle the rest just fine. So long as we let Markstrom keep playing starters mins this yr which is significant for his development.
IMO a goaltender that has proved time and time again during his career that he's a number 1 goalie is a better mentor than a career journeyman who's never been anything else than a backup in the NHL.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I think Markstrom with Clemmer will be fine in 13-14. It's not the ideal situation, but at the same time you don't want too good of a goalie, who's going to take more and more games away from Markstrom. Clemmer is a solid vet, who is fine when he's playing behind a team who is performing well. In 13-14 we should be a good team. I think Clemmer will be a solid option to spell Markstrom when he needs it. In the ideal situation we want Markstrom to take off and force Dineen to play him ~60 games.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Yeah, I think Markstrom with Clemmer will be fine in 13-14. It's not the ideal situation, but at the same time you don't want too good of a goalie, who's going to take more and more games away from Markstrom. Clemmer is a solid vet, who is fine when he's playing behind a team who is performing well. In 13-14 we should be a good team. I think Clemmer will be a solid option to spell Markstrom when he needs it. In the ideal situation we want Markstrom to take off and force Dineen to play him ~60 games.

Clemmer has proven that he is capable to spot start when necessary, and I have no issues with him backing up Marky next year. Is he the ideal backup you want for Marky, maybe/maybe not, but there are a lot worse options.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Its interesting you know I was reading an article yesterday and it basically said how can teams with new coaches like Washington or with a bunch of new players like Carolina possibly have enough time in training camp to implement new systems or get comfortable playing with each other.

Perhaps the reason Tallon didnt make that many changes to the lineup this past summer because he knew that in a shortened season the teams that are most successful are the ones most familiar to playing with each and playing to certain systems.

Some food for thought.

CoolburnIsGone

I'm not questioning Rask at all, he's a bona-fide number 1 and he proved it last year already. And he hasn't been injured, played in the Czech league for HC Plzen (17 games, 2.11 GAA, .924 SVS%) and IIRC lifted that club from the bottom to the top of the standings during his time there.

Khudobin has played pretty well this season in the KHL (26 games, 2.96 GAA, .912 SVS%), so I think they'll re-sign him since there is really no one else in the system after Rask and him, Subban is years away from the NHL at this point.
I guess you didnt see it but yes Rask did get injured during the lockout while playing for HC Plzen (see link below). Just a strained groin but at the same time, he missed the last 19 games of last season plus the first 5 playoff games because of a groin injury. With the aggressive schedule this yr, Rask could potentially re-injure that groin too. So the Bruins could feel like he's not gonna be able to consistently stay in the lineup and need to upgrade the position. Thrashers basically did that with Lehtonen too and eventually he overcame his injuries but they couldnt trust it and had a viable alternative (Pavelec).

As you said, we know Subban is a few yrs away, if the Bruins felt like they could get a decent deal for Luongo (which I'm thinking Khudobin may go in the deal to the Canucks), it would make sense for them. Let him play the next 6-7 yrs while Subban continues to develop and even mentor him in his last 2 yrs. I kinda feel like Boston would be the perfect team to acquire Luongo. That city would love him I'm sure and they have an abundance of talent on the ice that they can compete both now and for another several yrs while Luongo is still able to play at a high level.
IMO a goaltender that has proved time and time again during his career that he's a number 1 goalie is a better mentor than a career journeyman who's never been anything else than a backup in the NHL.
Yes Theo wouldnt be a bad mentor for Markstrom but he's not signed next yr like Clemmer. So intead of having to trade Clemmer, re-sign Theo AND re-sign Markstrom (who's a RFA), it just makes sense to go with what we will already have signed and just re-sign Markstrom. A few yrs ago, Clemmer was able to be the starter for the Devils while Brodeur was injured and he kept that team going to the playoffs instead of falling off the cliff. I personally dont worry much that Clemmer could help bridge the gap till Markstrom fully takes the reigns by the end of next season.

Link for Rask article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tuukka-rask-injured-playing-in-czech-republic

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm thinking that Markstrom starts next year. If he finishes the year in San Antonio, I don't see that doing any harm. He may get some starts due to injury or if the slight rumors of Theodore getting traded at some point during the season becomes true. I'm fine with Clemmensen backing him up next season too assuming he plays well in this short season. It also depends on the Luongo outcome. There's a lot of factors that come into play that I think will just happen depending on time.

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
I dunno why the thought of Luongo coming back kind of makes me excited.. I know Theo and Clemm did a fine job last season, as well as we have Markstrom as our future starter but there is no denying the fact that Luongo is better than both Clemm and Theo. I just think with all the new additions the SE teams have gotten, improving our goaltending is not such a bad idea.

On a side note... What about Perry/Getzlef?? I haven't heard rumors or anything but just curious because aren't they UFAs??? What are the chances Tallon goes after one or both? Are they Panther material?

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
I dunno why the thought of Luongo coming back kind of makes me excited.. I know Theo and Clemm did a fine job last season, as well as we have Markstrom as our future starter but there is no denying the fact that Luongo is better than both Clemm and Theo. I just think with all the new additions the SE teams have gotten, improving our goaltending is not such a bad idea.

On a side note... What about Perry/Getzlef?? I haven't heard rumors or anything but just curious because aren't they UFAs??? What are the chances Tallon goes after one or both? Are they Panther material?

This horrible contract will hurt us for many seasons.:shakehead Let the Nucks have fun with it or the Leafs

Offdapost*

anyone been to bb&t recently to see if they put in a new scoreboard or if its the old one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad