TV: Game of Thrones | Series Finale - II

Did you like the finale?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Jon didn't get ****ed, he got what he wanted. What you mean is that he didn't get what you wanted him to get.

He is the hero of the story, and he's the true hero as he sacrificed everything and anything for the greater good. He wasn't interested in power, he has wanted to just slink away into obscurity since season 5, and now he can do that with the Free Folk, which is fitting for him since he is the only reason that culture still exists.

I didn’t want him on the throne if that’s what you’re referring to. That sure as hell didn’t seem like his happy ending to me. Maybe I’ll have to rewatch though (only the last scenes).

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
The North becoming an independent kingdom was just stupid and thrown in at the end. Why wouldn't Dorne or the Iron Islands call for the same thing?

I mean, does Bran even have an army at this point? The Unsullied ****ed off to blah blah blah, the Dothraki ****ed off to ???, the North army is the Norths army. Why would any of the seven kingdoms tithe KL at this point?
Lmao I'm wondering the same thing about the Dothraki. The north being independent didnt make sense to me at all.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I also put Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad and the Wire Finales above all of those.
Was imagining in my head a version of the GOT series ending with a montage and "Way Down in the Hole."

Would be an interesting parody/rendition of the footage we got.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
A couple of seasons ago I would have been ecstatic with this finale for the Stark kids. They were tormented so bad early in the series & books. But the way we got there over the last 2-3 seasons (especially the past 13 episodes) just wasn't very satisfying. Especially Bran. He is/was one of my favourites from the early seasons and books, and him becoming a king is the kind of greatness (more than, if I'm being honest) that I always hoped to see from him. But the way his character has developed and the way he was crowned just feels so unimaginative. Like it wasn't "earned" properly. They really should have delved deeper into his character. I just don't buy the other kingdoms bowing to him so easily all of a sudden.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
I don't have an issue with how Jon ended up, it's what was best for him. I did have an issue with him having to be convinced Dany had gone mad. I wanted him to turn a corner and make a decision on his own. He was right in the middle of it!!

That's what felt wrong with the entire season: main characters acting the very opposite way they were slowly constructed over seven seasons, in a very abrupt way. Tyrion the Dumb, Danerys the Murdering Maniac, Jon the Weak.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
If Episode Three had been the finale, everyone would be saying how good the show was.
Only if the night king had won, and was sitting on the iron Tyrone in the final scene, staring down the camera with those ice blue eyes.

(actually what I thought the ending would be until he got Arya'd)

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
Well like ned stark said, the north is different. And bran has the vale and riverlands, but well the vale is kinda loyal to the north since the rebellion. I liked the north independance, they suffered the most.

I didnt like that basically the unsullied where the chiefs for a short time. As well greyworm, he should have been killed, cant stand him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
At a minimum, I believe there is a prequel series in the works.

Can't remember which event it is supposed to be based around though
The Long Night apparently.
Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend ... it’s not the story we think we know.

They have commissioned 4 other concepts as well, but only 1 is moving forward so far.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wonder if this is the ending GRRM has in mind for the books as well.

who knows, but if this ending was known in advance why have bran say he cant be lord of winterfell or king of anything, hes not bran anymore, etc.

feels like they wanted to do it for some shock and to have a funny little scene with all the favourite characters in a meeting all at peace

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
People like this probably exist on either side, yes. However, you cannot reasonably draw the conclusion of which or how likely people are to fall into either camp, if at all, based on reasoning as flimsy as their certainty/uncertainty of whether they would watch it or not.
This is becoming a linguistic discussion. My social feeds and the Change.org petition (which contained several hundred thousand names before the finale) gave me reason to believe people were decidedly unhappy with the season when it hadn't concluded yet. To me it suggested that it didn't matter how it ended - people wanted the project redone.
Were you certain that you were going to watch the episode? I sure was. If, hypothetically, we did and both liked it (I didn't), would you find it fair and justified if someone assumed/insisted that you were an example of someone who made up your mind about liking it before the episode even started it? Of course not.

Guessing at that crap or making blanket statements about it in an otherwise civil discussion all just amounts to knee-jerk defensiveness, mud-slinging, and straw-manning that we would all be better off without.
That would be unfair, which is why I didn't attempt to paint any individuals here with that brush.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I was impressed with some of the visual scenes, especially the "Dany with wings"-scene. I can see some people thinking it's a bit on the nose, but surprisingly I liked it (I usually don't like those types of scenes).

Biggest disappointment was probably Dany's death. I "knew" it was coming, but the whole scene was just boringly unimpressive. No memorable last words, no visible anguish from Jon, no one there to witness it and create a "scene", no memorable music, just a "let's get this over with"-kind of thing.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
So the Three Eyed Raven, whether in former or current form, is a cold manipulator who influenced events in history to engineer the downfall of his two biggest threats (ice and fire) while simultaneously shattering the existing power structure in order to secure himself supreme executive authority, right? :sarcasm:
That was my first thought as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Was there not an HBO Inside the Episode for the finale?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I was impressed with some of the visual scenes, especially the "Dany with wings"-scene. I can see some people thinking it's a bit on the nose, but surprisingly I liked it (I usually don't like those types of scenes).

Biggest disappointment was probably Dany's death. I "knew" it was coming, but the whole scene was just boringly unimpressive. No memorable last words, no visible anguish from Jon, no one there to witness it and create a "scene", no memorable music, just a "let's get this over with"-kind of thing.

When watching it, for a moment my wife actually thought perhaps Dany had stabbed Jon.

She was actually convinced going into the episode that Dany would attempt to kill Jon in some fashion before the end, perhaps by dragonfire because Dany didn't truly believe that Jon was a Targaryen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad