Did you like the finale?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Bran is the three eyed raven and can't be king, said and implied more than once, including Bran himself.

Finale? All hail Bran the broken! YEEEEEEEE!

Bunch of savages holding onto Jon and Tyrion after their queen and only real "ally" is murdered by Jon.

"Hey asshole (Jon)! Thanks for killing that lunatic. Reward? Have fun at the wall (you know the wall that is not needed anymore)"

Jon (and me):

giphy.gif

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
For the position the show put itself in .
Dont get how bran ends up king...
He refuses to be lord of winterfell. Says hes not human anymore, a 3 eyed raven Then accepts the throne without hesitation.

The rest was ok. A little disappointing.

This whole season after episode 2 left a sour taste. The main theme ppl are gonna take away from this season is how rushed it was, and how fantastic it could have been if D&D had just made it 10 episodes and had one more season.
All these story arcs made sense, but the payoff sucks because all the character development was so rushed that nothing feels right

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
@Shareefruck

When I see someone saying "debating not even watching the last episode," is it that much of a stretch to suggest there are people who had already made up their minds?
I don't see that as decent reasoning at all.

Merely seeing that the odds are very low that the episode will be good (low enough that it may not be worth the investment) does not justify the assumption that one will not give it a fair shot when they watch it. That assumption is wildly unfair.

It's the equivalent of reacting to someone saying "I'll definitely watch the episode tomorrow, no matter how bad the criticism gets" and assuming that this automatically means that they've decided to like it no matter what and have made up their mind to be an optimistic fanboy about it, which is similarly a very irrational and unfair conclusion to draw.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
You're spot on there. Sansa's "redemption arc" is to me probably the second silliest bunch of nonsense in the show after the Dany/Jon love affair and cliff drop to madness.

Since they dressed her in black to look bad*** at the end of Season 5, this is what’s happened with her:

--Basically tricked by LF and sold off to Ramsey.
--Raped and abused by Ramsey in her own home. Can’t call for help, doesn’t lift a finger to try and kill him.
--Needs saving by Theon of all people, who was a tortured wreck by then in his own right but found courage, unlike her.
--Finds Jon at the Wall prior to the B of the B. Tells Jon to listen to her when planning the battle, because she “knows” Ramsey. Meaning she knows he’s cruel, devious, etc. Hardly inside information there.
--For some idiotic reason that the show never explained, she does NOT tell Jon that LF arranged for the Vale’s mounted armies…thousands of heavy cavalry, are on the way. You think if Jon knew that it would have altered his plans somewhat for the coming battle? Maybe hold off a day or so and wait for them? Or strategize differently?
--But no, she says nothing, and instead looks all smarmy and smug as the cavalry thunders in…AFTER about 90% of Jon’s forces are slaughtered.
--“Kills” Ramsey finally. After he’s beaten nearly to death by Jon and chained to a chair.
--Gets credit for outthinking LF. When they go the whole season showing her conflicted, scared of her sister and jealous about the attention Jon is getting. The light bulb finally goes on after Bran tells her everything he knows. Arya of course actually kills LF.
--This season, immediately gets snarky with Daenerys, whining about food rations when if it weren’t for Dany’s forces, Winterfell and what’s left of the north get run over by the WW in about five minutes.
--Hides in the crypt during the battle while Jon, Arya, and Daenerys who she’s been complaining about, are out fighting.
--Gets told in confidence about Jon’s lineage, waits maybe three minutes before running and telling Tyrion.
--At the council in KL she demands an independent north, speaks of an army of thousands that laughably shouldn’t exist after the wars vs. the Lannisters, Boltons, WW and with most major houses in the north completely wiped out.
--Is crowned queen of the north, is cheered by a room full of old men apparently.

This is earning redemption?

Well I mean when you put it that way... :laugh:

Never been a fan of the character in the book or show, but the actress actually gives Sansa a presence which makes it believable despite the actions.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I thought the finale was okay. I think the ending was solid but how we got there was just so awful.

They needed another season in there to show Dany going dark side. It just wasn’t realistic going from her only killing those who opposed her to suddenly killing an entire city.

Jaime’s arc was all for nothing. So stupid. He was one of my favorite characters. Why even bother with the Brienne stuff if that was going to be his conclusion. Should’ve just made him a straight up Tywin type who has a soft spot for his brother.

Bran getting the throne makes sense but the problem is his character has gotten zero development or personality the past 3 seasons or so. It just feels like they put a side character on top. Even if it makes sense for the kingdom, it doesn’t feel satisfying.

Jon got f***ed in the end. Dude does everything for his family and Westeros and just ends up exiled? What the hell was the point of even telling us he was a Targaryen? So he could slip by a dragon? That whole storyline feels so wasted.

Arya and Sansa’s finales were fine. Both believable and fairly satisfying. Nothing crazy there but not complaining.

Finale was fine overall. The season as a whole was just awful. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
For the position the show put itself in .
Dont get how bran ends up king...
He refuses to be lord of winterfell. Says hes not human anymore, a 3 eyed raven Then accepts the throne without hesitation.

The rest was ok. A little disappointing.

This whole season after episode 2 left a sour taste. The main theme ppl are gonna take away from this season is how rushed it was, and how fantastic it could have been if D&D had just made it 10 episodes and had one more season.
All these story arcs made sense, but the payoff sucks because all the character development was so rushed that nothing feels right

Well if he was lord of winterfell he would not have been able to be king in the end, and create an independent north... So there is that

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
You're spot on there. Sansa's "redemption arc" is to me probably the second silliest bunch of nonsense in the show after the Dany/Jon love affair and cliff drop to madness.

Since they dressed her in black to look bad*** at the end of Season 5, this is what’s happened with her:

--Raped and abused by Ramsey in her own home. Can’t call for help, doesn’t lift a finger to try and kill him.
--Needs saving by Theon of all people, who was a tortured wreck by then in his own right but found courage, unlike her.
--Finds Jon at the Wall prior to the B of the B. Tells Jon to listen to her when planning the battle, because she “knows” Ramsey. Meaning she knows he’s cruel, devious, etc. Hardly inside information there.
--For some idiotic reason that the show never explained, she does NOT tell Jon that LF arranged for the Vale’s mounted armies…thousands of heavy cavalry, are on the way. You think if Jon knew that it would have altered his plans somewhat for the coming battle? Maybe hold off a day or so and wait for them? Or strategize differently?
--But no, she says nothing, and instead looks all smarmy and smug as the cavalry thunders in…AFTER about 90% of Jon’s forces are slaughtered.
--“Kills” Ramsey finally. After he’s beaten nearly to death by Jon and chained to a chair.
--Gets credit for outthinking LF. When they go the whole season showing her conflicted, scared of her sister and jealous about the attention Jon is getting. The light bulb finally goes on after Bran tells her everything he knows. Arya of course actually kills LF.
--This season, immediately gets snarky with Daenerys, whining about food rations when if it weren’t for Dany’s forces, Winterfell and what’s left of the north get run over by the WW in about five minutes.
--Hides in the crypt during the battle while Jon, Arya, and Daenerys who she’s been complaining about, are out fighting.
--Gets told in confidence about Jon’s lineage, waits maybe three minutes before running and telling Tyrion.
--At the council in KL she demands an independent north, speaks of an army of thousands that laughably shouldn’t exist after the wars vs. the Lannisters, Boltons, WW and with most major houses in the north completely wiped out.
--Is crowned queen of the north, is cheered by a room full of old men apparently.

The North becoming an independent kingdom was just stupid and thrown in at the end. Why wouldn't Dorne or the Iron Islands call for the same thing?

I mean, does Bran even have an army at this point? The Unsullied f***ed off to blah blah blah, the Dothraki f***ed off to ???, the North army is the Norths army. Why would any of the seven kingdoms tithe KL at this point?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I thought the finale was okay. I think the ending was solid but how we got there was just so awful.

They needed another season in there to show Dany going dark side. It just wasn’t realistic going from her only killing those who opposed her to suddenly killing an entire city.

Jaime’s arc was all for nothing. So stupid. He was one of my favorite characters. Why even bother with the Brienne stuff if that was going to be his conclusion. Should’ve just made him a straight up Tywin type who has a soft spot for his brother.

Bran getting the throne makes sense but the problem is his character has gotten zero development or personality the past 3 seasons or so. It just feels like they put a side character on top. Even if it makes sense for the kingdom, it doesn’t feel satisfying.

Jon got ****ed in the end. Dude does everything for his family and Westeros and just ends up exiled? What the hell was the point of even telling us he was a Targaryen? So he could slip by a dragon? That whole storyline feels so wasted.

Arya and Sansa’s finales were fine. Both believable and fairly satisfying. Nothing crazy there but not complaining.

Finale was fine overall. The season as a whole was just awful. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Jon got exactly what he wanted in the end. To be free with the few remaining friends he has left alive. And no pressure of the throne as he is of no family.

Reactions: Blender

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I don't see that as decent reasoning at all.

Merely seeing that the odds are very low that the episode will be good (low enough that it may not be worth the investment) does not justify the assumption that one will not give it a fair shot when they watch it. That assumption is wildly unfair.

It's the equivalent of reacting to someone saying "I'll definitely watch the episode tomorrow, no matter how bad the criticism gets" and assuming that this automatically means that they've decided to like it no matter what and have made up their mind to be an optimistic fanboy about it, which is similarly a very irrational and unfair conclusion to draw.
That is a pretty good equivalent. There are definitely people who were always going to like it. Just like there are people who were never going to like it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

The Sansa stuff was pandering to the fans at the end.

It makes no sense how Bran is the king, but being a Stark and Northman they wouldn’t want the actual king to be their own king... why?

Then Sansa says now the North is free “like it’s always been” yet Ned really didn’t have a choice but to go back to KL when Robert “requested” it. So I’m not sure how free the North ever was.

And finally, like has been pointed out, all the other rulers are like “cool you can be free, we don’t really want that same thing for our kingdoms”

Uh... ya.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Jon got exactly what he wanted in the end. To be free with the few remaining friends he has left alive. And no pressure of the throne as he is of no family.

He sure didn’t seem satisfied. I think he’d prefer his family over Tormund and the wildlings but maybe I’m wrong.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Seinfield was good because they figured a way to include all these great secondary characters into the finale. How do you end a show about nothing and have any meaning? lol

I don't really think sitcoms should be compared to these dramatic shows, a different category IMO

I didn't realize their were people out there that liked the Seinfield finale. To me, it was a glorified 2 hour clip show.

Agree that comedy's and dramas shouldn't be compared.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
He didnt create an independent north.
Sansa did.
She said the north is never bowing again.

But if he was lord of winterfell, and then made king... He would be lord of the seven realms. That's what I mean.

Also, he technically creates it by allowing Sansa her stand.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
It was not the outcome per se, as the pacing and the writing of the entire season. It just lacked emotional intensity almost to the point that the conclusion was irrelevant. Should have been better planned, maybe over two seasons. Anyway, probably a more courageous conclusion wold have been to give Dany the win, instead of going with a happy ending for the realm.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Jon got ****ed in the end. Dude does everything for his family and Westeros and just ends up exiled? What the hell was the point of even telling us he was a Targaryen? So he could slip by a dragon? That whole storyline feels so wasted.
Jon didn't get f***ed, he got what he wanted. What you mean is that he didn't get what you wanted him to get.

He is the hero of the story, and he's the true hero as he sacrificed everything and anything for the greater good. He wasn't interested in power, he has wanted to just slink away into obscurity since season 5, and now he can do that with the Free Folk, which is fitting for him since he is the only reason that culture still exists.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
He sure didn’t seem satisfied. I think he’d prefer his family over Tormund and the wildlings but maybe I’m wrong.
Kit never has a satisfied face as Jon...

But I read that walk beyond the wall as him at peace and moving on to the next phase of his life finally.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I didn't realize their were people out there that liked the Seinfield finale. To me, it was a glorified 2 hour clip show.

Agree that comedy's and dramas shouldn't be compared.

I just never heard a good response for what an alternative was? People wanted Jerry/Elaine married... That was against the entire premise of the show. Anyways back to GOT

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That is a pretty good equivalent. There are definitely people who were always going to like it. Just like there are people who were never going to like it.
People like this probably exist on either side, yes. However, you cannot reasonably draw the conclusion of which or how likely people are to fall into either camp, if at all, based on reasoning as flimsy as their certainty/uncertainty of whether they would watch it or not.

Were you certain that you were going to watch the episode? I sure was. If, hypothetically, we did and both liked it (I didn't), would you find it fair and justified if someone assumed/insisted that you were an example of someone who made up your mind about liking it before the episode even started it? Of course not.

Guessing at that crap or making blanket statements about it in an otherwise civil discussion all just amounts to knee-jerk defensiveness, mud-slinging, and straw-manning that we would all be better off without.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The North becoming an independent kingdom was just stupid and thrown in at the end. Why wouldn't Dorne or the Iron Islands call for the same thing?

I mean, does Bran even have an army at this point? The Unsullied ****ed off to blah blah blah, the Dothraki ****ed off to ???, the North army is the Norths army. Why would any of the seven kingdoms tithe KL at this point?

Dorne especially. I can sort of see Bran being the 'ruler' in a sense that he settles disputes so the houses don't have to go to war but that's only going to last until on of the stronger houses decides "hey I can just invade, hold him hostage and get decrees in my favor all the time".

But at the same time, Bran ruling doesn't make sense when Sansa says "no thanks bro". At that point if one major kingdom decides not to participate why would any other? If one is not playing by the same rules why should they hamstring themselves?

How can any of those men decide for their kingdoms since the families are in ruins? Can those men really speak for their remaining troops and inhabitants? What's to stop them from getting killed off and replaced like the Boltons replaced the Starks for a while?

Last edited:

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If Episode Three had been the finale, everyone would be saying how good the show was.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Looks pleased to be heading north to me. His family is safe and secure, which is the sole reason he has been fighting since he died.

ndRhwmk.png

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
danys death saddens me the most.....since season 1 episode 1 we followed her...from a young girl with nothing to have everything just to loose it all so fast becuse she went mad....unlike others i always enjoyed everything with her in essos....still cant belive jon killed her...but whats the deal with jon ? he did not join the nights watch instead he went beyond the wall with the wildings? i dont know why but how it ended with jon saddens me....he was supposed to be a king but now he is exiled to the faar north for enternity, he will never meet any of his sibblings again...

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
It was a good ending all things considered. The writers of the show clearly aren't as good as GRRM, which we've known for a while so I was ready for it to be a "safe" ending, but admittedly part of me was hoping for one last big Game of Thrones moment. The show didn't wrap up as the masterpiece that it started out to be, but season 8 still had an amazing cast, awesome production value, and was better than 99% of shows out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad