TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part XII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sometimes you have to sacrifice logic for suspense. The most logical thing for the dead to do was simply siege them out and not engage at all, but who the hell wants to watch everyone starve over a period of months?

Plus battles are chaotic is a decent enough excuse for those logic leaps to create a more suspenseful or engaging shot.

That’s the goal in the end. Not to teach you battle tactics. It’s to engage and entertain an audience.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Sometimes you have to sacrifice logic for suspense. The most logical thing for the dead to do was simply siege them out and not engage at all, but who the hell wants to watch everyone starve over a period of months?

Plus battles are chaotic is a decent enough excuse for those logic leaps to create a more suspenseful or engaging shot.

That’s the goal in the end. Not to teach you battle tactics. It’s to engage and entertain an audience.
BUT - the siege engines at the front was stupid.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Arya's arc from season 1 to 4 was my favorite. I thought it really lost its way in parts of season 5 and 6, so for those weaker parts to at least pay off like this is rewarding to her overall story.

It was maybe my biggest gripe with her season 5 and 6 arc. That is seemingly had no point on top of being rather boring and not making a ton of sense.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
We saw her in the library able to sneak around a lot of them without making a sound. It established wights need to see or hear to detect.

They were all looking at Bran, and they didn’t hear her because she is able to be unheard.

I don't think that the one scene establishes anything really relevant to the other. Slowly sneaking around and hiding behind bookcases and under tables is different than avoiding detection in the open and performing a flying ninja move.

One of the other walkers does notice her but it’s too late.

Plus the NK also noticed her considering he legit caught her.

The White Walker didn't notice her, only that his hair moved, and the NK noticed her because she screamed.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He caught her by the neck and wrist (with different hands). Which is why her right hand was free.

You are correct

I actually watched that scene a few times and hadn't noticed it, but the shot from below of the dagger falling clearly shows it

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
For those who found it too dark.

There is a setting in your video menu that says back light. It is usually set in the middle.

Crank that to max and it really helps.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
3cEC.gif

Ok so it's established she is qualified to be queen of the 7 kingdoms :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You mean take the pointy end and survive? If i recall Sam just shanked a WW and it was over.

Yes. Every white walker that has died went down in one hit.

They are glass cannons that go down easy to dragon glass or V-steel.

So the idea the white walkers would directly engage flies in the face of those upset about tactics. It would have been beyond stupid for them to actually battle people with weapons that can one shot them.

Reactions: Vex

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Yeah that or a more clever plan to take down the Night King would have sat a bit better with me as well. The group did have Tyrion and Varys at their disposal, you'd think those two would have something up their sleeves.
The NK was a total mystery , woyld be like predicting the weather 1000 years ago,but harder.

Reactions: Nihiliste

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I know. I'm saying I think the ending we got would have been a better fit if they developed the NK differently.

I liked the ending, but the main complaint you hear is "That's it? Arya pokes the NK with a knife and he dies?". I'm just saying that I think people likely thought the NK was more powerful/magical because of how he was portrayed earlier in the show, so they thought that something more powerful/magical would be required to kill him. I don't think there would be nearly as many complaints if the NK didn't have the sight/didn't mark Bran and they advanced the plot in some other way.
I mean the NK was powerful but his biggest threat of all was all the time he took to amass an overwhelming number of troops. If he had gone 1 v everyone at Winterfell he would've died almost instantly.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Imagine how much battle experience they had trying to defend Winterfell and the best they came up with was to let the Dothraki charge in and die. Put the unsullied/infantry in a position where they can't defend the trench and couldn't retreat. Put siege equipment in front of the infantry and trench.

They thought of "cool scenes" to include in the battle without any care of "does this make sense". There is a middle ground, but this ain't it.

Battle of the Bastards also had battle tactics without it being dull. They used the Hammer and Anvil tactic of Hannibal and Alexander. They probably took a look at Cannea when constructing that battle.

Reactions: PM and Neutrinos

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The Battle of the Bastards would have been a complete disaster because of Jon's stupidity if Sansa the White hadn't saved his ass at the last minute, so I'm not sure how much I trust Jon's tactical thinking to begin with. He's a phenomenal fighter, but a brilliant tactician...not so much.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
not a lot of historical battles to study that involved ice zombies and dragons.

Bad excuse.

The Dothraki were killed to add suspense, that's it. No other explanation.
The Unsullied were positioned in front of the trench to add suspense to a shoe horned in scene with Milesandre.
Siege equipment. Well, I think they just ran out of budget.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Did Tormund survive? If so I want him and Brienne to have freakishly large children.

edit: Also the music was quite amazing.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Gotta agree with WTG about the bush league battle tactics.

John Snuh seemingly learned nothing from Ramsay demolishing his entire army at Winterfell after his last tard charge failed.

That said, it was a good episode that I thoroughly enjoyed, all things considered.

Reactions: WTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad