TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part X -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Littlefinger’s death would’ve been much more “appropriate” if he wasn’t found out by an all seeing wizard. It literally took magic powers for him to be undone. For a character as clever, conniving, intelligent, and manipulative as he was it was a cheap way to finish him off.

Imagine if the Mountain and the Hound have their big battle and just as it looks like Franken-Mountain is about to win, a dragon comes and eats him. Lame.
I disagree, Sansa and Arya were taking him out regardless and Sansa was using the Lysa and Jon Arryn murders to justify it. Bran just helped add even more legitimacy with the Ned Stark betrayal.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
100% this, idk if it will be at Cersei but she is gonna be using that face for so etching.

Also, what are the odds the faceless gods come after Arya?

The gods are supposed to be ambiguous, so I doubt we would see anything like that.

Or did you mean the followers?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Littlefinger’s death would’ve been much more “appropriate” if he wasn’t found out by an all seeing wizard. It literally took magic powers for him to be undone. For a character as clever, conniving, intelligent, and manipulative as he was it was a cheap way to finish him off.

Imagine if the Mountain and the Hound have their big battle and just as it looks like Franken-Mountain is about to win, a dragon comes and eats him. Lame.
The mountain is going to fight for the side of the dead.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
The gods are supposed to be ambiguous, so I doubt we would see anything like that.

Or did you mean the followers?
Yeah I guess so, someone affiliated with the faceless men. Are they okay with their people going on a revenge tour like Arya is doing? Or is she breaking their rules?

I guess Jaquen said she graduated, but she is still herself and not nobody. Is that like 'the nobody was inside you all along' or perhaps does it mean that faceless people can resume their prior life?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yeah I guess so, someone affiliated with the faceless men. Are they okay with their people going on a revenge tour like Arya is doing? Or is she breaking their rules?

I guess Jaquen said she graduated, but she is still herself and not nobody. Is that like 'the nobody was inside you all along' or perhaps does it mean that faceless people can resume their prior life?
The real nobody was the friends we made along the way.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

That shit was weird so I have no clue if I’m being honest....

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Speaking of Arya, one of my theories for the end is Jaime dying saving her and Brienne, and Arya taking his face to kill Cersei,

But I don't think that has the payoff of Jaime doing it himself, or Sansa doing it.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I never bought that Little Finger really had a soft spot for Sansa. Everything he said sounded so full of BS. I believe that he did have a soft spot for Cat way back in the day before he became the conniving SOB that we saw during the show. But the calculated Littlefinger would never really openly tell of his weaknesses, for others to exploit, if he really did love her. Maybe in his demented mind, that was love?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I never bought that Little Finger really had a soft spot for Sansa. Everything he said sounded so full of BS. I believe that he did have a soft spot for Cat way back in the day before he became the conniving SOB that we saw during the show. But the calculated Littlefinger would never really openly tell of his weaknesses, for others to exploit, if he really did love her. Maybe in his demented mind, that was love?
I think you are missing his real character motivation here, Littlefinger was obsessed with Catelyn when he was a kid but couldn't have her because he was a nobody who didn't have a name, wasn't a great warrior, wasn't wealthy, etc. The man has spent his entire life chasing more and more power so that he can never be denied what he desired again. He started latching onto Sansa after he was again pushed away by Catelyn in season 2. I think he saw in Sansa the closest thing he could actually get to Catelyn, and Sansa really was his weakness and blindspot because it touched fully on his deepest feelings and motivations.

Reactions: glovesave_35

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Littlefinger’s real weakness was that in the end he had no friends or allies. Hard to survive that way in that kind of world. When all you do is scheme, at some point everyone realizes that you’re just a schemer.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Littlefinger didnt really love Cat, he loved that she came from a powerful family. He loved Sansa in that same sense

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The question of what an "appropriate" death for Littlefinger would've looked like leaves me drawing a blank. He was the smartest person in the kingdom, so there's just no death that wouldn't have left behind the question of "why wasn't he smart enough to see that coming or at least get out of it?" Considering that, it seems to me that the next most appropriate way for a person like him to meet his end is by becoming a victim of his few weaknesses. Littlefinger had a weakness for Sansa and also had an ego that may've led him to believe that the girls, particularly Arya, were easy to manipulate. Because of those two things, I think that it's plausible that he wasn't as careful as he would've been in most other situations. Lust and underestimation seem to me like entirely plausible and classical reasons for even a genius to be done in. Perhaps it could've been written a little better, but the general idea makes some sense to me, at least as much as any other possible death.
An Omar Little death would have made the most sense for Littlefinger. Getting outsmarted by little girls wasn't a very good ending for him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Littlefinger’s real weakness was that in the end he had no friends or allies. Hard to survive that way in that kind of world. When all you do is scheme, at some point everyone realizes that you’re just a schemer.
Good point, he was all alone with no one to support him and was completely out of his element in the North. If only he had Jorah to teach him some important lessons like Dany had: "No one can survive in this world without help."

An Omar Little death would have made the most sense for Littlefinger. Getting outsmarted by little girls wasn't a very good ending for him.
Well this is an incredibly misleading take. Those "little girls" consisted of an assassin trained by the Faceless Men on one hand, and on the other someone who was been perfecting lying and acting since season 2 as a matter of survival.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Littlefinger played Lysa and Catelyn like a fiddle and thought he could do the same with Sansa and Arya. He was overconfident and pretty much schemed himself into a corner in the North. Also, calling Sansa and Arya "little girls" is doing them both a disservice. Sansa is no longer the naive "little girl" she was from season one. And Arya is an assassin for f*** sake. It was Littlefinger thinking they were just "little girls" that led to his downfall. He wasn't this all knowing, all seeing being that knew everything. He was a very good schemer that had a weakness that eventually bit him in the ass. He didn't deserve to go out in a blaze of glory or with some noble death. He was a rat that deserved to be exterminated.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Littlefinger didnt really love Cat, he loved that she came from a powerful family. He loved Sansa in that same sense

Perhaps he never loved Cat, but he coveted her.

I think I read his actions toward her differently than you. I think he learned about what power can do for a person when Cat was married off to a Stark when he was very young. I don't think he loved that Cat came from a powerful family. That understanding of nobility and power all stemmed (IMO) from his affections toward Cat. Not only were his feelings not returned, but they would have been pointless even if they had been due to the machinations of nobility and arranged marriages.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Speaking of Arya, one of my theories for the end is Jaime dying saving her and Brienne, and Arya taking his face to kill Cersei,

But I don't think that has the payoff of Jaime doing it himself, or Sansa doing it.
Personally I'd want Jaime to do it. Sansa may have suffered at Cersei's hand worse, but Jaime's been putting up with her shit longer, and his whole arch has been about struggling to do something right with his life. It would be a perfect end to his story.

I feel like Sansa got her revenge moment watching Ramsay die.

Am I the only one who enjoyed watching Littlefinger die such a pathetic, unceremonious death? The guy was a piece of **** and got what he deserved.

I thought it was quite appropriate.
I mean...I was never so opposed to him that I wanted to see him die. I was in the camp like so many others that enjoyed watching how he operated. But that being said, I took pleasure more in the Stark victory that this guy who had such a talent for manipulating and f***ing others over, then he came North, managed to manipulate the Vale but when it came to trying to do the same to the head house of the North he met his end.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Good point, he was all alone with no one to support him and was completely out of his element in the North. If only he had Jorah to teach him some important lessons like Dany had: "No one can survive in this world without help."

Well this is an incredibly misleading take. Those "little girls" consisted of an assassin trained by the Faceless Man on one hand, and on the other someone who was been perfecting lying and acting since season 2 as a matter of survival.

Yep. Let’s not forget that were it not for Sansa, LF very likely would have taken a one way trip out the Moon Door himself.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

This isn't meant as a shot at you, but this sentiment proves that there's no pleasing everyone (anyone?) when it comes to Little Finger dying. Some say he was done in "by little girls" and that is unrealistic. Now, an all seeing magic man that Little Finger could not have planned for (thereby keeping his reputation as a brilliant schemer alive) doing him in doesn't work.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Perhaps he never loved Cat, but he coveted her.

I think I read his actions toward her differently than you. I think he learned about what power can do for a person when Cat was married off to a Stark when he was very young. I don't think he loved that Cat came from a powerful family. That understanding of nobility and power all stemmed (IMO) from his affections toward Cat. Not only were his feelings not returned, but they would have been pointless even if they had been due to the machinations of nobility and arranged marriages.

He was after her even before she was married, he dueled with Neds brother over her before he died and Cat was promised to Ned

I dont know if its from the books or not but in the show when Littlefinger talks to Ros about loving Cat she comments that she must be very pretty, Littlefinger responds "No not really. impeccable bloodlines though"

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He was after her even before she was married, he dueled with Neds brother over her before he died and Cat was promised to Ned

I dont know if its from the books or not but in the show when Littlefinger talks to Ros about loving Cat she comments that she must be very pretty, Littlefinger responds "No not really. impeccable bloodlines though"
I know he was after her before she was married.

I don't see how his comment to Ros goes against what I said. Obviously, LF wanted to marry into a noble family and have noble offspring. I think it went like this...love Cat > Cat married off to 1st son of one of the most powerful houses in the land > lightbulb moment about power of the nobility > spends the rest of his life pursuing becoming nobility.

Sansa would have been kind of a win-win for LF. Her bloodlines are much better than Cat's as a daughter of Ned Stark and she is young and still pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad