TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part IX -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Last night I started out my task of watching all the 7 seasons of GoT during my summer holidays. Still have two episodes to go from season one and already feeling bit distracted. Maybe I overestimated my willpower. :laugh:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
A re-watch is fantastic and really flows from seasons 1-4. Then season 5 becomes an absolute chore with the only really re-watchable episode being Hardholme, then it picks back up again halfway through 6 for the hold the door episode, Arya getting chased by the Terminator kind of brings it back down again but then it picks back up for episodes 9 and 10, with the best season finale in my opinion. Season 7 starts off well then gets very stupid very quickly. With the exception of episode 6 which I thought was terrible the first time, I did enjoy them all on the first watch but then on re-watch realised that when you think about it more they kind of suck.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Last time I did a re-watch I found myself fast forwarding through some parts of all seasons, season 2 and 5 the most with 5 by far the most due to Dorne.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'm on hold after 4 seasons. I know 5 is not great, maybe that's why I'm hesitating to start it. So far, I've enjoyed re watching them. The battle between Brienne and The Hound was epic.

By the time the finale comes around, people will have forgotten all about it. :laugh:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
A re-watch is fantastic and really flows from seasons 1-4. Then season 5 becomes an absolute chore with the only really re-watchable episode being Hardholme, then it picks back up again halfway through 6 for the hold the door episode, Arya getting chased by the Terminator kind of brings it back down again but then it picks back up for episodes 9 and 10, with the best season finale in my opinion. Season 7 starts off well then gets very stupid very quickly. With the exception of episode 6 which I thought was terrible the first time, I did enjoy them all on the first watch but then on re-watch realised that when you think about it more they kind of suck.

You have pretty much the same opinion as me.

Season 1-4 are pretty flawless. Season 5 is pretty boring, slow and awful. Season 6 is an improvement, but still pretty flawed. Season 7 was, perhaps, even worse than Season 5.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
You have pretty much the same opinion as me.

Season 1-4 are pretty flawless. Season 5 is pretty boring, slow and awful. Season 6 is an improvement, but still pretty flawed. Season 7 was, perhaps, even worse than Season 5.

Even then some of the good parts from Seasons 6 and 7 are so good because of things that happened before that were bad :laugh: like Cersei blowing up the Sept is so great because she killed off that terrible, boring plot line with terrible, boring characters like the High Sparrow and Tommen. The only good thing about Tommen's character is his cat Ser Pounce, let's be honest. I would normally never root for Cersei, especially as a book reader, but I just couldn't help cheering when she succeeded, the High Sparrow was that bad.

Similarly Euron's boat attack is so good because he kills off the Sand Snakes which was so satisfying because they were such awful, annoying characters. Again I found myself rooting for a villain, the Sand Snakes were originally intended to be protagonists, wanting to avenge the death of their father, a fan favourite whose death was absolutely soul destroying, but because they were butchered so badly and so annoying, I wanted Euron to kill them for Cersei.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't understand the hate for Dorn/Sand Snakes stuff to be honest

Only flaw for this series IMO was the jumping around in season 7 but I understand why they did it because of cut in episodes and need to speed up story

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't understand the hate for Dorn/Sand Snakes stuff to be honest

Only flaw for this series IMO was the jumping around in season 7 but I understand why they did it because of cut in episodes and need to speed up story
Their introductions are really awful, Ellaria's characterization flips around for the sake of the story, and their entire arc revolves around avenging the Martells by murdering the last of the remaining Martells.

There was some really good book related content they could have adapted, but they instead changed up a number of iconic characters and flipped the story around so there could be more gore and less "boring talking and political parts."

Also, "you want the bad p***y".

Reactions: Kurtz
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Their introductions are really awful, Ellaria's characterization flips around for the sake of the story, and their entire arc revolves around avenging the Martells by murdering the last of the remaining Martells.

There was some really good book related content they could have adapted, but they instead changed up a number of iconic characters and flipped the story around so there could be more gore and less "boring talking and political parts."

Also, "you want the bad *****".
Was it revenge for the Martells they wanted or revenge for Oberyn?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Was it revenge for the Martells they wanted or revenge for Oberyn?
Revenge for Oberyn who was trying to get revenge for Elia.

I mean, do you think Oberyn or Elia would have wanted his nephew and brother to be murdered? Do you think he wanted the Martell line to die for the sake of bloodlust?

Do you think Ellaria Sand of S4 would have wanted that? Once S5 rolled around she just became insane.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Revenge for Oberyn who was trying to get revenge for Elia.

I mean, do you think Oberyn or Elia would have wanted his nephew and brother to be murdered? Do you think he wanted the Martell line to die for the sake of bloodlust?

Do you think Ellaria Sand of S4 would have wanted that? Once S5 rolled around she just became insane.

Well, right. But just because Oberyn wanted revenge for Elia, and S4 Ellaria also wanted revenge for Elia (because Oberyn wanted it) doesn't trump the fact that for her, Oberyn was more important than all of that. I can see where you're coming from, but just from a character and plot development standpoint I can see and understand how and why she changed from S4 to S5. And even when she went off the deep end she still hated the people (by lineage) who were responsible for what happened to Elia.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
And none of those people were Martells.

They were literally murdered for being "weak". It was a contrived series of events and does not translate well at all.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I've started re-watching the series, and I gotta say, I don't think there's anyway Cersei would've allowed Marcella to be shipped off to Dorne on Tyrion's orders

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
the whole revenge for oberyn thing was just bizarre. oberyn volunteered to a duel knowing that he could die. he wasnt murdered. he lost a straight up fight that was relatively common practice in westeros.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Oberyn had potential to be so much more. They should’ve done more with his character before that fight scene.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They should have just left the entire Dorne plot out and not tried to force a mediocre side plot that goes nowhere in at all.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I can never forgive D&D for what they did to Dorne.

Bonus points for casting Alexander Siddig and giving him 5 lines, no development and allegedly offering him a hand shake deal moving forward, and then reneging on it.

Reactions: peate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad