TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part IX -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Walking Dead sucks, Game of Thrones does not.

What is predictable and stupid? What characters don't follow logic?

One of Game of Thrones best strengths is that, generally speaking, all of the characters have believable motives and are fairly 3-dimensional. I am biased because I have read the books and they offer more depth to the characters, but still.

I haven't read the books but to avoid spoilers for others, some of the deaths are so obvious. Arya starks storyline so far is so random and forced. They try so hard to make a young kid look bad ass and they constantly fail. Her character sucks. Sansa was a dolt before the return to winterfell. Tomnan or however his name is, awful. Lastly the worst character, Daenrys. She literally does nothing and is completely illogical. Her rise to power in the show is so forced and quick. She does nothing and her power is just cause of her name. Nothing about her character is powerful. She's useless and boring. I'd talk in detail but I think there's no spoilers here. And mance rayder... The reason for his death and his beliefs contradict eachother. The betrayal of Jon Snow (the reasoning behind it, illogical) one second they all love him and support him at the watch then instantly change?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Westeros was kind of due for a major breakup either way. It's based loosely on the United Kingdom except maybe 3 times bigger and with 8 major factions, the number perhaps moving up or down over time. It's a continent with thousands of years of history, and only in the last 300 years has it been united under a single rule when the Targaryan's conquered and united it with dragons making the 7 kindoms/8 great houses kneel to them.

While Robert's rebellion had justification it's entirely possible that you had more going on at the time and the Mad King had a right to be paranoid. While his family had 3 centuries of rule they dragons they initially conquered with are long gone, so it's entirely possible that cracks were forming and there was a conspiracy to topple the Targaryan's. We don't know how often great families intermingled, but before the rebellion we had a Stark and a Baratheon squiring together under an Aryn and becoming bff's plus a number of marriages being arranged: Baratheon-Stark, Stark-Tully, Aryn-Tully. That's a 4 great house alliance whose positioning conveniently sandwiches Kingslanding in a pincer attack, with the Baratheon's coincidently having the best claim to the Iron Throne in a post-Targaryan Westeros. Then when the Mad King through a torch on the dry tinder kicking off the rebellion, the Lannisters through there hat in with the Baratheon's and you had an alliance that couldn't be denied by the remaining great houses.

That's old history though which just left another ticking time bomb - the alliance was strong through the rebellion but how do you keep such a multifaceted object together through the generations? In GoT we see the Baratheon & Lannisters split and the Aryn's withdraw, leaving the Stark's & Tully's alone and the Tyrel's able to pick their side and play Kingmaker. I mean this is all fictional of course, but I've always felt the way it was setup without "Fire and Blood" a fracturing of the Kingdoms back into their original state was inevitable.

Ultimately it all comes down to power, but it's just to difficult for any non-Targaryan to build and maintain an alliance strong enough to keep everyone else in check. Just look at the Greyjoy's as the canary in the coal mine. Immediately following Robert's rebellion they split and declared themselves independent, Robert sent his fleet and forcibly brought them back into the fold. When Robert died and Joffrey succeeded, they immediately rebelled again... except through the duration of the show there's been too much infighting so they've been able to run amok as they please.

It's actually a lot bigger than 3x the size of the UK. GRRM has said Westeros is roughly the size of South America, which is 73x the size of the UK. Culturally it's based on the UK (though Dorne is Spain and the Iron Islands is Vikings). Size wise it was never really that realistic anyways, though the Iron Throne operates more like the HRE than the United Kingdom.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I haven't read the books but to avoid spoilers for others, some of the deaths are so obvious. Arya starks storyline so far is so random and forced. They try so hard to make a young kid look bad ass and they constantly fail. Her character sucks. Sansa was a dolt before the return to winterfell. Tomnan or however his name is, awful. Lastly the worst character, Daenrys. She literally does nothing and is completely illogical. Her rise to power in the show is so forced and quick. She does nothing and her power is just cause of her name. Nothing about her character is powerful. She's useless and boring. I'd talk in detail but I think there's no spoilers here. And mance rayder... The reason for his death and his beliefs contradict eachother. The betrayal of Jon Snow (the reasoning behind it, illogical) one second they all love him and support him at the watch then instantly change?

You're allowed to talk about anything in the show that has already aired. It's kind of outdated now but you're not allowed to talk about anything from the books, as for first 5 seasons book readers knew exactly what was coming which made it ripe for spoilers and/or could spend a lot of time *****ing about differences. You're also not allowed to talk about any leaked footage for the upcoming season, as for the last one some key details got leaked and some people just couldn't help themselves.

So by all means knock yourself out and go into details if you want. But keep in mind people can openly talk about season 6 and 7 in here, so if you care about spoilers you may just want to stay away until you're done watching.

Say Hey Kid

They met at the crossroads.
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Dinklage rules!

BBMYtTy.img

Reactions: The Night King

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Won the Emmy for best drama series, Dinklage won best supporting actor, and another win for special effects, all this and it's not even on this year. Not bad.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
What are you talking about? Jon's decision to allow the Wildlings through the wall was always controversial in the Night's Watch. For Ollie, it was personal. And Alliser Thorne always appeared to have a problem with Jon.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
What are you talking about? Jon's decision to allow the Wildlings through the wall was always controversial in the Night's Watch. For Ollie, it was personal. And Alliser Thorne always appeared to have a problem with Jon.

I just finished the show and you're right about that point. It wasn't explained well until the episodes I saw after.

Everything else I stand by. Arya is awful.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Won the Emmy for best drama series, Dinklage won best supporting actor, and another win for special effects, all this and it's not even on this year. Not bad.

Dinklage is certainly likeable as Tyrion, but I wouldn't exactly call the role challenging in terms of acting

Lena Headey, on the other hand, has shown considerable range playing Cersei

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
My problem with the whole thing was the scene from the episode before where they marched on the north side of the wall and had to be let through. It all would have worked better if they had landed on the south side of the wall and marched from there.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Dinklage is certainly likeable as Tyrion, but I wouldn't exactly call the role challenging in terms of acting

Lena Headey, on the other hand, has shown considerable range playing Cersei

Lena Headey has given the best performance of any actor in GoT over the course of the series. I was surprised to see she hasn't won an Emmy yet.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That rant in the throne room is so overrated. His best moments are his more subtle ones, where he doesn't just have to put a crank one emotion up to 11. Think of his speech at the Battle of the Blackwater for instance. A lot of emotions to tie together and demonstrate Tyrion as very conflicted and afraid but wanting to do his duty and do something heroic for a change. Beautifully done.

Acting emotional doesn't mean acting well.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Tyrion becomes a completely different character when he's accused of Joffrey's murder and from then on after he kills his father, he's a broken man. He's completely different to his early seasons character when he's a lot more jokey and fun, it's part of his character development.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Tyrion becomes a completely different character when he's accused of Joffrey's murder and from then on after he kills his father, he's a broken man. He's completely different to his early seasons character when he's a lot more jokey and fun, it's part of his character development.

That's the character's arc. It says nothing about the actor's performance

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
doing a GoT re-watch and watching the aftermath of the red wedding.
Roose said that Robb ignored his advice at every turn. When exactly was this? the only thing i can remember when everyone told Robb not to cut off Carstark's head but i don't remember anything else.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

thats because of the late run this season

According to the Emmy's
Emmy season every year is from June 1st to May 31st

GOT has always toe dragged it season over 2 Emmy seasons

My guess is they will air one or two episodes in May 2019 to allow it to qualify for the Emmy's

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
thats because of the late run this season

According to the Emmy's
Emmy season every year is from June 1st to May 31st

GOT has always toe dragged it season over 2 Emmy seasons

My guess is they will air one or two episodes in May 2019 to allow it to qualify for the Emmy's

well HBO said it will air in time for emmy nomination, so yah that makes sense

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
doing a GoT re-watch and watching the aftermath of the red wedding.
Roose said that Robb ignored his advice at every turn. When exactly was this? the only thing i can remember when everyone told Robb not to cut off Carstark's head but i don't remember anything else.
I'm pretty sure he's just full of shit and is self-serving and manipulative to anyone he talks with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad