TV: Game of Thrones | Season 6 | Part VI (NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I wonder if we will even see Jorah again this season? As I said in the last thread though, I don't expect a happy ending to his story. He's been a sympathetic character who was suffered since the start.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think the whole "Bran playing with the past" expectation is a wrong turn from that scene. My read was that Bran warging past and present Hodor linked their minds, and Wylas's mind was shattered by being linked to his future death, essentially "killing" his mind from that point on. I don't see it as being something repeatable, at least not in a significant way.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I wonder if we will even see Jorah again this season? As I said in the last thread though, I don't expect a happy ending to his story. He's been a sympathetic character who was suffered since the start.

His character is actually quite amusing and annoying at the same time, he sounds like a capable knight with wisdom in his voice, yet around Dany he acts like a little boy who found his first love, sadly for him he's in the friendzone for life :laugh:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7185-1370649216-24.gif

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think the whole "Bran playing with the past" expectation is a wrong turn from that scene. My read was that Bran warging past and present Hodor linked their minds, and Wylas's mind was shattered by being linked to his future death, essentially "killing" his mind from that point on. I don't see it as being something repeatable, at least not in a significant way.

It's not just that scene. In the ToJ scene, Ned appears to hear Bran's voice. The NK saw Bran and even touched him through the visions. The NK touching him and leaving a mark on his body is proof that Bran did go to the past through his vision.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It's not just that scene. In the ToJ scene, Ned appears to hear Bran's voice. The NK saw Bran and even touched him through the visions. The NK touching him and leaving a mark on his body is proof that Bran did go to the past through his vision.

Do we know when that happened in terms of time? Was that with the current wight army or back during the Long Night?

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
He was always the catalyst for most of the events in the show. Remember, everything in Westeros happened because Jaime pushed him through the window of a tower in Winterfell.

Hodor is Hodor because he had been conditioned by future Bran to see his own death. Bran was always meant to fall from the tower, he was always meant to survive from the fall and to be carried to the 3ER by Hodor. Bran was always meant to be touched by the NK, and Hodor was always meant to die while protecting Bran and Meera from the wights.

All of this happened because Hodor's story had to stay coherent with the future events. There is no way present Bran could've avoided this series of events because future Bran altered the past. Any attempt to avoid this fate would've resulted in a paradox.

Why was the 3ER so upset that it happened then? The 3ER even says Bran has to take his place sooner than he's supposed to? If everything happens because it has to happen then free will should not exist. Right? :dunno:

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
For the mad king stuff, there was a scene in the trailers of a shadow cast on a wall getting stabbed in the back. May be a Bran vision. Could also just be someone getting murdered of course.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Big step from making someone think "hey what was that?... you're hearing things Ned" to causing a complete mental break.

I disagree, I interpreted it as NK being a supernatural being that could perceive Bran's presence and interact with it rather than Bran actually "being somewhere." It felt very dream sequency, if the NK could move as fast in real life as he did getting from his horse to behind/beside Bran when he turned to look at the wights they never would have gotten out of that cave.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
His character is actually quite amusing and annoying at the same time, he sounds like a capable knight with wisdom in his voice, yet around Dany he acts like a little boy who found his first love, sadly for him he's in the friendzone for life :laugh:

To me, if Jorah had been born the eldest son of a Stark, Lannister, Tyrrell, etc. he is the type of person who would have been capable of great things. He's intelligent, wise, speaks multiple languages, is a skilled fighter, and is generally a good person. He has weaknesses like every other character of course. As he was born a Mormont he didn't often have the chance to use his talents to their fullest. I see similarities between him and Tyrion, who was also often under utilized because he was a dwarf, despite being the most capable of Tywin's children.

Jorah finally found a purpose to his life through Dany after being lost for years, and finally had the chance to put his talents to use.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
To me, if Jorah had been born the eldest son of a Stark, Lannister, Tyrrell, etc. he is the type of person who would have been capable of great things. He's intelligent, wise, speaks multiple languages, is a skilled fighter, and is generally a good person. He has weaknesses like every other character of course. As he was born a Mormont he didn't often have the chance to use his talents to their fullest. I see similarities between him and Tyrion, who was also often under utilized because he was a dwarf, despite being the most capable of Tywin's children.

Jorah finally found a purpose to his life through Dany after being lost for years, and finally had the chance to put his talents to use.

Maybe Jorah takes that pardon he received and finally uses it to go to the Citadel.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why was the 3ER so upset that it happened then? The 3ER even says Bran has to take his place sooner than he's supposed to? If everything happens because it has to happen then free will should not exist. Right? :dunno:

That's an existential question. Is free will real, or are we bound by a destiny?

Big step from making someone think "hey what was that?... you're hearing things Ned" to causing a complete mental break.

I disagree, I interpreted it as NK being a supernatural being that could perceive Bran's presence and interact with it rather than Bran actually "being somewhere." It felt very dream sequency, if the NK could move as fast in real life as he did getting from his horse to behind/beside Bran when he turned to look at the wights they never would have gotten out of that cave.

Maybe those like Bran, 3ER and the NK can move around at will in the visions. Bran isn't supposed to be able to walk, but he has the ability to walk in his visions. These are projections of the past, not the actual past, which would explain why the NK moved that fast. What is unclear is how the NK was able to physically alter Bran's body in the real world. Could it be possible for Bran to be killed in his visions and die simultaneously in the real world?

One thing is for sure, Bran is the one who messed up Hodor's mind.

More questions than answers, everything I say here is just speculation.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
That's an existential question. Is free will real, or are we bound by a destiny?

Maybe those like Bran, 3ER and the NK can move around at will in the visions. Bran isn't supposed to be able to walk, but he has the ability to walk in his visions. These are projections of the past, not the actual past, which would explain why the NK moved that fast. What is unclear is how the NK was able to physically alter Bran's body in the real world. Could it be possible for Bran to be killed in his visions and die simultaneously in the real world?

One thing is for sure, Bran is the one who messed up Hodor's mind.

More questions than answers, everything I say here is just speculation.

Could be like The Matrix, "the body cannot live without the mind."

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
3ER did. Ned had to die to set things in motion for Bran to end up where he needed to be -- with the 3ER.

It makes me sad that we are getting so far-fetched with GoT theories that this wasn't immediately seen as a joke.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
show needs to work on continuity --i just rewatched two earlier episodes with the red witch and she did not have the necklace on

Which scenes? There's a theory that the one scene with Melisandre in the bath talking to Lady Florent isn't an error, but instead, Lady Florent actually seeing Melisandre for who she is (hence why Lady Florent is so terrified in that scene). I don't know if that was intended to be the case, but it would make sense (also why Florent is such a true believer).

I don't think he was upset. I get the feeling 3ER knew it was coming. Note that he didn't ask Bran, "Did he touch you?"-- he actually tells Bran (twice) that he was touched.

I also don't think Bran is taking his place sooner than he's supposed to-- in fact, I think Bran is taking his place exactly when he's supposed to. Bran asks if he's ready, and 3ER responds with "No" and then he immediately takes Bran under... my interpretation is that he isn't ready until he goes to this vision and scrambles Hodor's mind and learns what he's capable of. IE, he wasn't ready until that happened, and now he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad