TV: Game of Thrones | Season 6 | Part VI (NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I don't think it was either of those, I think it was the Great Other whose name they will never speak. No Red Priest has dared to speak the name of the Great Other, and being from Lys Varys should be familiar with the religion and may know whose name he heard, which he told Tyrion he dared not to repeat.

What is a Great Other?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What is a Great Other?

The entity of darkness the red priests and priests say the lord of light fights against.

It hasn't been name dropped as such but lore wise they don't speak his actual name (while the lord of light's actual name is R'hllor).

Some think it is related or is the leader of the white walkers or a force behind them.

This reveal that the children of the forest created the walkers throws some wrenches into that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The actions of Rhaegar and the reaction from the Starks, Baratheons, Tullys, and Arryns is what seemed to push him over the edge from normal madness to burning everyone alive. He saw his rule being questioned, and near the end his empire had crumbled and his heir was dead.

He lost it well before that. The first cause of it was being jealous and paranoid of Tywin being such an amazing hand that the people thought Tywin had more power than the king.

The untimely death of some of his children furthered his paranoia, and started to turn on Rhagar.

The start of the rebellion he was already quite mad.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
It definitely could be, it just cheapens the cause of his madness in my opinion, and seems pointless since Bran has already learned the harsh lesson that his actions have consequences.

That's why it'd probably be the 3ER who did it, and when he said to Bran that "The ink was already dry" its because he exists in a state where everything he is going to do has already happened IE: Hodor.

Bran caused Hodor because he was always meant to cause Hodor. That's why Wyllis was always Hodor to us in the story.

It just seems strange to me that for two weeks (per: Jaime Lannister) he had said nothing except "Burn them all".

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
That's why it'd probably be the 3ER who did it, and when he said to Bran that "The ink was already dry" its because he exists in a state where everything he is going to do has already happened IE: Hodor.

Bran caused Hodor because he was always meant to cause Hodor. That's why Wyllis was always Hodor to us in the story.

It just seems strange to me that for two weeks (per: Jaime Lannister) he had said nothing except "Burn them all".

I thought he only started shouting burn them all when he found out Tywin Lannister was sacking the city and his doom was imminent.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
The entity of darkness the red priests and priests say the lord of light fights against.

It hasn't been name dropped as such but lore wise they don't speak his actual name (while the lord of light's actual name is R'hllor).

Some think it is related or is the leader of the white walkers or a force behind them.

This reveal that the children of the forest created the walkers throws some wrenches into that.

This was a thought I had as well. I think this shows that the gods aren't necessarily gods, but moreso the actions of people. Bran/TER/greenseers in general could be what people perceive as the Old Gods. Maybe there is a foil on the side of The Lord of Light that enables the fire magic to be used. Maybe even the dragons? I think Beric Dondarrion's first resurrection was almost around the same time the dragons were hatched.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What. Did they mention this in the show? I could have sworn that would be something I wouldn't haven't missed.

Definitely not in the show, or in the books as far as I know. Since Bran had some influence on the past, it seems people see past influence in every major event. That would be incredibly lame in my opinion.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I thought he only started shouting burn them all when he found out Tywin Lannister was sacking the city and his doom was imminent.

No. He started to become fascinated with fire and wildfire and burning prisoners well before the rebellion even started.

His most famous bout was right after Lyanna was kidnapped. Ned's older brother Brenden went to KL demanding his sister and the prince.

Mad King locked up once. Called for his father and burnt both alive in the throne room.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If it comes to be that Bran is the catalyst for all the events in the show, I think that will suck.

He was always the catalyst for most of the events in the show. Remember, everything in Westeros happened because Jaime pushed him through the window of a tower in Winterfell.

Hodor is Hodor because he had been conditioned by future Bran to see his own death. Bran was always meant to fall from the tower, he was always meant to survive from the fall and to be carried to the 3ER by Hodor. Bran was always meant to be touched by the NK, and Hodor was always meant to die while protecting Bran and Meera from the wights.

All of this happened because Hodor's story had to stay coherent with the future events. There is no way present Bran could've avoided this series of events because future Bran altered the past. Any attempt to avoid this fate would've resulted in a paradox.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This was a thought I had as well. I think this shows that the gods aren't necessarily gods, but moreso the actions of people. Bran/TER/greenseers in general could be what people perceive as the Old Gods. Maybe there is a foil on the side of The Lord of Light that enables the fire magic to be used. Maybe even the dragons? I think Beric Dondarrion's first resurrection was almost around the same time the dragons were hatched.

While possible, the lord of light is quite unique as it is performing "miracles" that seem beyond the scope of every other religion.

No whether it's just magic, or an actual god, is definitely debatable, but there is something to it.

Old Gods seem to be green seers but there still seems to be a power beyond them that allows them to do their thing.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
No. He started to become fascinated with fire and wildfire and burning prisoners well before the rebellion even started.

His most famous bout was right after Lyanna was kidnapped. Ned's older brother Brenden went to KL demanding his sister and the prince.

Mad King locked up once. Called for his father and burnt both alive in the throne room.

I just meant where Aerys seemingly had the same moment Wylas had where that was all he could say; burn them all in this instance vs. hold the door for Hodor.

I just think he was crazy and obsessed with the Targaryen dragon legend.

He was always the catalyst for most of the events in the show. Remember, everything in Westeros happened because Jaime pushed him through the window of a tower in Winterfell.

Hodor is Hodor because he had been conditioned by future Bran to see his own death. Bran was always meant to fall from the tower, he was always meant to survive from the fall and to be carried to the 3ER by Hodor. Bran was always meant to be touched by the NK, and Hodor was always meant to die while protecting Bran and Meera from the wights.

All of this happened because Hodor's story had to stay coherent with the future events. There is no way present Bran could've avoided this series of events because future Bran altered the past. Any attempt to avoid this fate would've resulted in a paradox.

I understand all of that, what I'm saying is that I hope it's not the case where Bran caused all of the events in the past because they had to happen to get Bran to where he was.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
If it comes to be that Bran is the catalyst for all the events in the show, I think that will suck.

I think it's cool, depending on where they go with it. I like that there's potentially something bigger in the GoT universe than just "who's going to end up on the throne" or "will the WW's kill everyone". I definitely didn't see that angle coming.

On the other hand, just about every TV show that even touches on time travel/altering the past/etc. mangles it horribly...so it's thin ice for sure.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I think it's cool, depending on where they go with it. I like that there's potentially something bigger in the GoT universe than just "who's going to end up on the throne" or "will the WW's kill everyone". I definitely didn't see that angle coming.

On the other hand, just about every TV show that even touches on time travel/altering the past/etc. mangles it horribly...so it's thin ice for sure.

Yeah I won't prejudge anything, I'll let it play out. I trust the showrunners and GRRM.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I understand all of that, what I'm saying is that I hope it's not the case where Bran caused all of the events in the past because they had to happen to get Bran to where he was.

Well yeah, his future self conditioned his present self to be there, otherwise Hodor being Hodor doesn't make sense. You know that the only logical explanation is that future Bran set the events in motion by traveling to the past.

They could make a nice story for Bran. They could have him try to alter the past once again to save his parents but fail to do so. It would be a great tragedy. Imagine having time traveling powers but being unable to save his family.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Well yeah, his future self conditioned his present self to be there, otherwise Hodor being Hodor doesn't make sense. You know that the only logical explanation is that future Bran set the events in motion by traveling to the past.

They could make a nice story for Bran. They could have him try to alter the past once again to save his parents but fail to do so. It would be a great tragedy. Imagine having time traveling powers but being unable to save his family.

That's something I could get behind. And I liked the part of Bran making Hodor because it had to happen. I just don't know if I'd like the parts of Bran causing every event because every event had to happen. I don't know if I'm doing a good job of articulating what I mean.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I'm wondering if we do see some of the older cast reappear or at least appear in flashbacks. I found it interesting that a lot of the dead cast members appeared in some of the promotional material for this season, I don't remember if we've ever seen that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad