TV: Game of Thrones prequel pilot ordered

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Speaking of which, have D & D been interviewed or spoken about the fall-out of the series, or did they pretty much just disappear off the face of the earth?

I thought the last half of the series as a whole was pretty lame, but it always struck me as odd how personal it got for some people.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Speaking of which, have D & D been interviewed or spoken about the fall-out of the series, or did they pretty much just disappear off the face of the earth?

I thought the last half of the series as a whole was pretty lame, but it always struck me as odd how personal it got for some people.

Part of that was because A Feast for Crows was easily the weakest book (4th book, so about midway through the series). Another obvious issue was that the show went beyond the source material (last two books still unreleased) so they had to essentially extrapolate from a framework provided by Martin, which means working out the details such as writing their own dialogue between the characters. I really wasn't a fan of shortening the seasons -- there was nothing to gain from that from a storytelling perspective; it just messed up the pacing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Because of how much interest in the show has dropped since the disastrous final season. Nobody even talks about GoT anymore, it's cultural relevance vanished almost overnight.

Nobody is talking about GoT anymore...well yea, the show ended almost 2 years ago. Disastrous final or not (which is just your opinion), the series as a whole was a masterpiece and had an incredible following. So again, I'm not sure why you are "surprised" they are going ahead with it. HBO has basically been forgotten since GoT went off the air.

Reactions: Kurtz and tacogeoff

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Nobody is talking about GoT anymore...well yea, the show ended almost 2 years ago.

People still talk about plenty of other shows that have ended years ago. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos and many more have survived as pieces of the cultural fabric. Game of Thrones fell apart and it's audience has largely moved on instead of remembering it fondly like the previously mentioned shows.

Disastrous final or not (which is just your opinion),

It's a pretty common opinion.

The series as a whole was a masterpiece

This is also an opinion. I think the first 4ish season were excellent and then the show declined until it completely fell apart. I wouldn't consider the entire series to be a masterpiece when the end is so poor. It doesn't ruin the first 4 seasons for me like it does for some, but I understand why some fans have not wanted to revisit the show since.

and had an incredible following.

Like you said, it had an incredible following, but has since faded out of the pop culture scene. At this point the spinoffs success isn't as much of a sure thing as it would have seemed before the final season aired.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
People still talk about plenty of other shows that have ended years ago. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos and many more have survived as pieces of the cultural fabric. Game of Thrones fell apart and it's audience has largely moved on instead of remembering it fondly like the previously mentioned shows.

This is also an opinion. I think the first 4ish season were excellent and then the show declined until it completely fell apart. I wouldn't consider the entire series to be a masterpiece when the end is so poor. It doesn't ruin the first 4 seasons for me like it does for some, but I understand why some fans have not wanted to revisit the show since.

Like you said, it had an incredible following, but has since faded out of the pop culture scene. At this point the spinoffs success isn't as much of a sure thing as it would have seemed before the final season aired.
Regardless to your opinions, I still don't know how you are surprised the fact they are going forward with what will be their most hyped and biggest show in years. GoT is what brought millions and millions of people to HBO, you are crazy to think this new Game of Thrones show won't be one of the most anticipated shows of the year whenever it comes out and make HBO a ton of money. Whether or not people were mad they didn't think the show got a good finale.

I can guarantee you most of all those cry babies will tune in and watch the premier. And I can also bet there will be a huge amount of those same people rewatching the whole series right before this gets released.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I can guarantee you most of all those cry babies will tune in and watch the premier. And I can also bet there will be a huge amount of those same people rewatching the whole series right before this gets released.

Ah yes, people who didn't like the ending or last half of the show are cry babies :laugh:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
No, people who are "surprised" they are going ahead with their prequal of one of the biggest shows of the decade sound like the cry babies.

I don't think you know what a cry baby is. Relax it's just a TV show, don't take it personally when someone says the last season sucks, sheesh.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
When this was announced I was interested, but the casting is appalling.

Matt Smith as "The Rogue Prince" :laugh:
A fairly plain-looking Emma D'Arcy as "The Realm's Delight"
A black actor for a Valyrian character

Cool.

I'm sorry but all this just takes me out of the world of ice and fire that I know and love completely.

It hasn't even aired and is already a flop with the hardcore book-reader fanbase and the masses don't care anymore after the disaster that was season 8.

I'll hold my breath for when they do Dunk & Egg I think, though the non-book readers have all been making fun of that already because "hurr durr dats a dumb name"

Last edited:

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Part of that was because A Feast for Crows was easily the weakest book (4th book, so about midway through the series). Another obvious issue was that the show went beyond the source material (last two books still unreleased) so they had to essentially extrapolate from a framework provided by Martin, which means working out the details such as writing their own dialogue between the characters. I really wasn't a fan of shortening the seasons -- there was nothing to gain from that from a storytelling perspective; it just messed up the pacing.

D&D insisted on that so they could get out and go make Star Wars. And then they lost Star Wars.

Idiots.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Because of how much interest in the show has dropped since the disastrous final season. Nobody even talks about GoT anymore, it's cultural relevance vanished almost overnight.

'
Agreed, it's like that final season negated the positive of the 1st four seasons and the show doesn't exist anymore. People also have short memories and it's been over for a while. I don't know how much interest I really have in a prequel right now. I might give it a shot. Some people may be a bit scorned and not watch.

I'm not surprised they are doing it based on the numbers GOT did, they would be silly not to.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
'
Agreed, it's like that final season negated the positive of the 1st four seasons and the show doesn't exist anymore. People also have short memories and it's been over for a while. I don't know how much interest I really have in a prequel right now. I might give it a shot. Some people may be a bit scorned and not watch.

I'm not surprised they are doing it based on the numbers GOT did, they would be silly not to.

I would think there would be huge interest in a prequel right now based purely upon Covid boredom which could lead to some great hype.( I did not read back to look for a release date so maybe this is years away still.)

I for one have never binged so many shows in my life in the last year. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the last season as it felt disjointed and rushed but for me it doesn't take away from the rest of the series which was a masterpiece. I would welcome a prequel.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Honestly, Game of Thrones last season was "eye rollingly" bad.

Rushed, unpaced, and started having "surprises" for the sake of surprises. The first 4-5 seasons were an absolute masterpiece but, as with the books, the rest SUCKS.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
The last season ruined the entire series, everything that made the show great was ruined. All the theories all the speculation that individual events would tie into a greater meaning just for maybe the worst conclusion to a TV show in history.

Nobody talks about GOT anymore, it fell off the face of the earth.

Reactions: Perennial

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
'

It's also interesting to me how people's perceptions of Seasons 5-7 were kind of right on the fence and kind of controversial/heavily debated right up until Season 8, and then after that, they seemed to get knocked down/deflated somewhat too. Feels like how good people think individual seasons are is strongly connected to how much hope they have for the series overall. Almost like a sports mentality, but with a TV show.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Real talk, has there ever been another piece of media that went from such massive heights in popularity to basically becoming an afterthought in the span of just a few weeks? I really don't think there's much of a demand for this universe being expanded without a blueprint set by Martin anymore. That last season really killed interest.

Even disgruntled Star Wars fans can be brought back due to their inherent love of that universe. This universe, though....? It's basically just a run of the mill high fantasy series without Martin, and I think the lion's share of the fansbase realized that pretty rapidly.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
It's also interesting to me how people's perceptions of Seasons 5-7 were kind of right on the fence and kind of controversial/heavily debated right up until Season 8, and then after that, they seemed to get knocked down/deflated somewhat too. Feels like how good people think individual seasons are is strongly connected to how much hope they have for the series overall. Almost like a sports mentality, but with a TV show.

I first started to feel noticeably annoyed after the episode in Season 5 when Barristan Selmy was killed. From then on the dominos all fell into place and there were more and more things which started to annoy me and took me out of the universe, because the show seemed to have become a victim of its own success and appeared to be pandering to the lowest common denominator. I could kind of deal with it though and felt like I was just being nitpicky.

I completely checked out in season 7 and gave up on any hope of a good ending when they decided "let's go north of the wall and capture a zombie"

From that point onwards it was clear they were completely sacrificing all established character logic and good plot storytelling in favour of visuals and things they thought would "look cool" - there's also an insufferable amount of pointless callbacks to Season 1.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Real talk, has there ever been another piece of media that went from such massive heights in popularity to basically becoming an afterthought in the span of just a few weeks? I really don't think there's much of a demand for this universe being expanded without a blueprint set by Martin anymore. That last season really killed interest.

Even disgruntled Star Wars fans can be brought back due to their inherent love of that universe. This universe, though....? It's basically just a run of the mill high fantasy series without Martin, and I think the lion's share of the fansbase realized that pretty rapidly.

It doesn't help that GRRM is never going to finish writing the ASOIAF series.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

GRRRRRRRRRR Martin being a slow ass writer screwed the tv series. If they had waited for him to finish them, there would have been mass re-castings.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Probably also doesn't help that the show ending seems to have taken the wind out of GRRM's sail on finishing A Song of Ice and Fire. I've never been one to criticize him on his writing pace but people thought there was long waits between A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, but at this point The Winds of Winter has taken as long as those two combined. Each year that ticks away just increases the odds that the series never gets finished, and unless something's changed unlike Robert Jordan he's indicated if it comes to that he doesn't want someone else to finish it for him.

Not sure what could have been done about it but the whole thing seems like such a massive unforced error letting hacks like Dan & David set the final tone (with how it's looking) for such a great series. A new prequel show can still be good and if so will probably be popular, but it's never going to have anywhere near the same impact GoT did. For one thing it's not the only game in town anymore, you have The Witcher, a new Lord of the Rings series, The Wheel of Time should be out this year, I think the King Killer Chronicles is getting soemthing, then plus a lot of 'geekdom' has gone back to Star Wars after the Mandalorian. Personally my #1 wishlist would be with an increasing confidence in animation a good animated series for Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series, which I assume would be too big/expensive to put on TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad