TV: Game of Thrones prequel pilot ordered

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Isn't this why they commissioned 5 concepts?

They must have liked the 8,000 years in the past concept enough to order a pilot, but the pilot must not have been very good.

There's another possibility, IMO. The pilot could've been good or at least decent, but just too similar to GoT, either in factions or characters. For example, what if Naomi Watts' character felt too much like a clone of Cersei or Catelyn and that didn't really become apparent until after they saw the performance? HBO might be afraid to look like they're just rehashing GoT.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The issue all these concepts will have is George wrote the story so that the most interesting convergence of events happens in the main storyline.

You are starting out with vague bullet points and no established characters. Just names.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
This is the one that was going to be set thousands of years in past? If so then I am fine with it being cancelled as I didn't care for idea to begin with

Same.

5,000 years in the past = completely irrelevant to anything to the original so why not just make a different show.

Especially when one factors in how dynamic that world is.

May as well have been Earth 5000 in the past.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
The issue all these concepts will have is George wrote the story so that the most interesting convergence of events happens in the main storyline.

You are starting out with vague bullet points and no established characters. Just names.

Main story-line ? You mean the GoT's series orrr ?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Yes. The storyline of the books and show.

I'll have to disagree about the more interesting part then.

There's a ton of significant events that happened prior (Aegon's conquest, Roberts rebellion, Blackfyre Rebellions, The Long Night. Building of the Wall.. )

While the finer details aren't there, the stories already have quite a remarkable framework including many of the main players.

I also don't think the running out of source material was the main catalyst for the failure of the GoT later seasons; didn't help, but wasn't the cause.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'll have to disagree about the more interesting part then.

There's a ton of significant events that happened prior (Aegon's conquest, Roberts rebellion, Blackfyre Rebellions, The Long Night. Building of the Wall.. )

While the finer details aren't there, the stories already have quite a remarkable framework including many of the main players.

I also don't think the running out of source material was the main catalyst for the failure of the GoT later seasons; didn't help, but wasn't the cause.

It’s not though. It is just a list of events. There is no details on who the characters were. They are just names.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
There's another possibility, IMO. The pilot could've been good or at least decent, but just too similar to GoT, either in factions or characters. For example, what if Naomi Watts' character felt too much like a clone of Cersei or Catelyn and that didn't really become apparent until after they saw the performance? HBO might be afraid to look like they're just rehashing GoT.

I actually think it is possibly the opposite. The show they did order is more grounded in the Westeros world we have come to know. This is possibly more of a true prequel than the 5,000 years in the past one.

I'm happy they are doing one and I am interested in the Targaryen lore so I'm cool with the one they chose.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No interest in the Targ civil war.

I wanted the prequel that would have explained a lot more the Night Kings story line and the origins of everything that set up GoT.

Sucks they axed it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Interesting reading different perspectives of what went wrong with the prequel that just got canned. Sound like nothing worked at all. From the writing to the directing to the acting. Curious to know how much HBO lost on the pilot

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
That said, even with how ****ty Season 8 of GOT went I am still very much missing the void of that show and will absolutely be tuning into this prequel when it launches.

Well how good they are remains to be seen but thanks to GOT kicking things off there's certainly a lot of shows coming down the pipeline: the Witcher, Wheel of Time, King Killer Chronicles, etc.

Best GOT void filler I found for the time being is in sci-fi with The Expanse on Amazon Prime.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I got through a bit more than half of the book and although it started off well, but as I read, after a while it became quite boring. I never finished it. They might be able to make a mini series out of it, but it wont be GoT level.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Love this turn of events.

Hoping that "300 years before"/" Fire & Blood" is a misdirect and it's going to be about the Blackfyre rebellion (I just find it a more compelling premise) but the Dance of Dragons would be cool too.

Glad (hopeful) that it's not Aegon's Conquest.
The Eyrie is unconquerable! Haha jk we have dragons
We're outnumbered 5-1 oh no! Haha jk we have dragons
Outside of the Last Storm any tension would feel contrived. Though I suppose the back half could focus on the 1st Dornish war

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Love this turn of events.

Hoping that "300 years before"/" Fire & Blood" is a misdirect and it's going to be about the Blackfyre rebellion (I just find it a more compelling premise) but the Dance of Dragons would be cool too.

Glad (hopeful) that it's not Aegon's Conquest.
The Eyrie is unconquerable! Haha jk we have dragons
We're outnumbered 5-1 oh no! Haha jk we have dragons
Outside of the Last Storm any tension would feel contrived. Though I suppose the back half could focus on the 1st Dornish war

Dance of Dragons might be too expensive to make right away. I could see it being the 1st Dornish War.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I get that Robert's Rebellion story-line would be tough to cast, because you'll want to find a number of young actors who resemble their older counterparts from GOT...but isn't that by far the most interesting story to pursue? Rhaegar, the legendary King's Guard featuring Arthur Dayne, young Barristan Selmy and Jaime, the Mad King's descent, Brandon and Lyana Stark, prime Robert, Jon Connington, etc, etc...

Reactions: KapG and Make

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I thought by “300 years before AGoT” Targ history they meant from Aegons Conquest up to Roberts Rebellion, which would be the obvious next prequel series. Was looking forward to it, especially the Targ civil war. I’m still excited regardless.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Dance of Dragons might be too expensive to make right away. I could see it being the 1st Dornish War.

They'd likely have to tone down the Yellow Toad of Dorne but I could see the whole conquest culminating in the 1st Dornish War, with it being very ambiguous about who the "Good Guys" are. Between the Field of Fire and burning of Plankey Town/ Hellholt etc. it'd be very easy to carry on the dragons as WMD's, Targ's as questionable protagonists angle.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Paddy Considine was cast as Viserys Targaryen. He was the King that led up to the Dance of the Dragons when he died. Seems to be a very nice get as the first confirmed casting.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Paddy Considine was cast as Viserys Targaryen. He was the King that led up to the Dance of the Dragons when he died. Seems to be a very nice get as the first confirmed casting.

tumblr_mn4bl6VTSD1sqn8o2o1_r1_400.gif

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Still really disappointed with the ending of GoT so it’s tough to get excited about anything related.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Still really disappointed with the ending of GoT so it’s tough to get excited about anything related.
seems like the ppl running this new show will be the ones who did the most popular GOT episodes and GRRM. id be surprised if HBO would allow 2 arrogant douchebags (D and D) to ruin a show again the way they did with GOT. it seems like this would be an exceptionally expensive show to do with so much CGI needed for dragon warfare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad