TV: Game of Thrones prequel pilot ordered

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
the valyrians freehold from its peak, leading into the doom would be very interesting. only issue would be that the valyrians speak valyrian and this universe already introduced us to characters speaking that language albeit in small segments. would they speak english if a show was entirely based on valyria?

I don't know, Valyria is a bit more of the exotic fantasy variety, and GRRM's work isn't really about that. It's more the characters that are interesting than the world building. And if you want that type of TV show then the good news is Amazon Prime is making Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson's The Wheel of Time series.

With the multiple TV series they have planned maybe they'll get to Valyria but I think they have the right idea here sticking in Westeros for the first one and focusing on the Long Night.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I don't know, Valyria is a bit more of the exotic fantasy variety, and GRRM's work isn't really about that. It's more the characters that are interesting than the world building. And if you want that type of TV show then the good news is Amazon Prime is making Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson's The Wheel of Time series.

With the multiple TV series they have planned maybe they'll get to Valyria but I think they have the right idea here sticking in Westeros for the first one and focusing on the Long Night.
yeah its definitely more fantasy, but it could be the targs x 10. targaryans werent one of the most powerful of the 40 dragonlord families. be interesting to see valyria with the politics of the dragonlord families and controlling an empire while leading up to its ultimate distruction. u can even see how valyria reacted to daenys the dreamer and aenar targaryan fleeing to dragonstone. id imagine it would be incredibly expensive to film a show like that to the standard we'd expect tho.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
5000 years before? Wouldn't they all be running around in skins swinging sticks and throwing rocks at each other.

I mean the difference between someone in the 1700's 5000 years before that would be pretty stark.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
5000 years before? Wouldn't they all be running around in skins swinging sticks and throwing rocks at each other.

I mean the difference between someone in the 1700's 5000 years before that would be pretty stark.
latest

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Game of Thrones prequel pilot ordered by HBO: Details...

HBO has officially greenlit a follow-up pilot to its acclaimed international hit Game of Thrones and it sounds just as massively ambitious as the original series.

The network has ordered a prequel drama from writer Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service, X-Men: First Class, Kick-Ass) and author George R.R. Martin. The network has released an official description of the show’s storyline, and it’s another tale spread across multiple locations and clans: Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend … it’s not the story we think we know.”

According to Martin’s books, the Age of Heroes began 10,000 years before the events in GoT. Some of the major names which could be characters in the new show include Bran the Builder (who founded House Stark, and oversaw construction of The Wall and Winterfell) and Lann the Clever (who founded House Lannister). The era led into the Long Night — a winter that lasted a generation — and the greatest war against the white walkers. Then again, that’s what we think we know, and the logline for the new show says this is “not the story we think we know.”

I'm in!

I enjoyed all those films!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Good thing this is set in a fantasy realm with ice zombies and dragons.:thumbu:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This is the one that was going to be set thousands of years in past? If so then I am fine with it being cancelled as I didn't care for idea to begin with

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Meh. I don't care about GoT prequels, HBO, Netflix, cable, or satellite. I've evolved past that stuff. November will be my last month of HBO.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It sounds like keeping things familiar and safe is the name of the game. The Naomi Watts one was set 5,000 years in the past for the books and apparently that's before all the familiar stuff in Game of Thrones. The one that got the order was 300 years in the past with all the same family names, the same cities/places.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It sounds like keeping things familiar and safe is the name of the game. The Naomi Watts one was set 5,000 years in the past for the books and apparently that's before all the familiar stuff in Game of Thrones. The one that got the order was 300 years in the past with all the same family names, the same cities/places.

Kind of lame IMO.

I would have been much, much more interested in the Night Kings origins, as well as threshing out more about the COTF and potentially Bran the Builder(Not sure if that would have been in the prequel or not but much closer to that time line for sure).

That said, even with how shitty Season 8 of GOT went I am still very much missing the void of that show and will absolutely be tuning into this prequel when it launches.

That said, I'm not going to have very high of expectations because of how terrible S8 went.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Isn't this why they commissioned 5 concepts?

They must have liked the 8,000 years in the past concept enough to order a pilot, but the pilot must not have been very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad