TV: Game of Thrones prequel pilot ordered

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
HBO has cast two-time Oscar nominee Naomi Watts in the lead role of the unnamed Game of Thrones prequel set thousands of years before the present Game of Thrones during the "Age of Heroes."

Watts will play a socialite with a dark secret, but so far that is all that is known about her character.

Watts will be joined by Josh Whitehouse, best known for playing Hugh Armitage in Poldark. It's not currently known what type of character Whitehouse will be playing [...]

Of the five prequels pitched to HBO, this is the only one to move forward into production. No release date has been given, but the show is expected to air sometime in 2020.

Naomi Watts to star in 'Game of Thrones' prequel

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I was going to be in no matter what. This sounds like just the right way to go about it. Go way way back so nothing is connected to any character in Game of Thrones except for the legends and history they speak of. If they do it right, which I expect them to, it's going to be awesome.

This is always the smart way if you're going to do a prequel, set it back far enough that you can create your story however you want without having to force your characters and story into little boxes just to line up with established canon.
Agreed with both. This and the fact that there was nowhere to go is why they should have done this with SW EPs 7-9. I have no problem with the one shots.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is always the smart way if you're going to do a prequel, set it back far enough that you can create your story however you want without having to force your characters and story into little boxes just to line up with established canon.

Are you suggesting that it's not smart to set a prequel only, say, a decade in the past, despite the great opportunity that it allows for recycling familiar elements and offering fan service? Wouldn't you like to see the new characters have run-ins with younger versions of your favorite GoT characters and, together, save the kingdom from a threat that no one will ever speak of only a generation later? Such a prequel series would almost write itself. If I'm Alex Kurtzman, I'm thinking that HBO is foolishly passing up a great opportunity and making more work for themselves than they need to.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Are you suggesting that it's not smart to set a prequel only, say, a decade in the past, despite the great opportunity that it allows for recycling familiar elements and offering fan service? Wouldn't you like to see the new characters have run-ins with younger versions of your favorite GoT characters and, together, save the kingdom from a threat that no one would ever speak of only a generation later? Such a prequel series would almost write itself. If I'm Alex Kurtzman, I'm thinking that HBO is foolishly passing up a great opportunity and making more work for themselves than they need to.

Savage.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Are you suggesting that it's not smart to set a prequel only, say, a decade in the past, despite the great opportunity that it allows for recycling familiar elements and offering fan service? Wouldn't you like to see the new characters have run-ins with younger versions of your favorite GoT characters and, together, save the kingdom from a threat that no one would ever speak of only a generation later? Such a prequel series would almost write itself. If I'm Alex Kurtzman, I'm thinking that HBO is foolishly passing up a great opportunity and making more work for themselves than they need to.

Passing up might be only temporary. If it was me, and I have mentioned it before in this regard, I would wait awhile to do Roberts Rebellion, so the faces that are connected to the characters fade a bit so the new actors not looking right isnt as....stark

Reactions: glovesave_35

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
so GRRM revealed some info about this show recently.

"The pilot, set 5,000 years before the events depicted in the recently concluded Game of Thrones, is now filming in Northern Ireland. On the title, Martin noted that The Long Night or some variation of that looks likely: “I heard a suggestion that it could be called The Longest Night, which is a variant I wouldn’t mind. That would be pretty good.”

Some things will have a ring of familiarity for fans of the original series, Martin said: “The Starks will definitely be there. Obviously the White Walkers are here — or as they’re called in my books, The Others — and that will be an aspect of it. There are things like direwolves and mammoths.”

Fans won’t see the Lannisters in the new series, at least not immediately.
“The Lannisters aren’t there yet, but Casterly Rock is certainly there; it’s like the Rock of Gibraltar,” Martin said. “It’s actually occupied by the Casterlys — for whom it’s still named after in the time of Game of Thrones.”

Martin said the series will center on an unconstructed era of a divided land: “We talk about the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros; there were Seven Kingdoms at the time of Aegon’s Conquest. But if you go back further then there are nine kingdoms, and 12 kingdoms, and eventually you get back to where there are a hundred kingdoms — petty kingdoms — and that’s the era we’re talking about here.”

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Are you suggesting that it's not smart to set a prequel only, say, a decade in the past, despite the great opportunity that it allows for recycling familiar elements and offering fan service? Wouldn't you like to see the new characters have run-ins with younger versions of your favorite GoT characters and, together, save the kingdom from a threat that no one will ever speak of only a generation later? Such a prequel series would almost write itself. If I'm Alex Kurtzman, I'm thinking that HBO is foolishly passing up a great opportunity and making more work for themselves than they need to.

Nicely done this post earns a Picard gif

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I've just started his last book, talks about Aegon the Conqueror and his reign and battles. Pretty good stuff so far, about 70 pages in out of 750 or so. I thought that's what the prequel would be about.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I've just started his last book, talks about Aegon the Conqueror and his reign and battles. Pretty good stuff so far, about 70 pages in out of 750 or so. I thought that's what the prequel would be about.
Fire and blood? That's just a targaryen encyclopedia post aegons conquest. The prequel that is being filmed is about the long night.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
so GRRM revealed some info about this show recently.

"The pilot, set 5,000 years before the events depicted in the recently concluded Game of Thrones, is now filming in Northern Ireland. On the title, Martin noted that The Long Night or some variation of that looks likely: “I heard a suggestion that it could be called The Longest Night, which is a variant I wouldn’t mind. That would be pretty good.”

Some things will have a ring of familiarity for fans of the original series, Martin said: “The Starks will definitely be there. Obviously the White Walkers are here — or as they’re called in my books, The Others — and that will be an aspect of it. There are things like direwolves and mammoths.”

Fans won’t see the Lannisters in the new series, at least not immediately.
“The Lannisters aren’t there yet, but Casterly Rock is certainly there; it’s like the Rock of Gibraltar,” Martin said. “It’s actually occupied by the Casterlys — for whom it’s still named after in the time of Game of Thrones.”

Martin said the series will center on an unconstructed era of a divided land: “We talk about the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros; there were Seven Kingdoms at the time of Aegon’s Conquest. But if you go back further then there are nine kingdoms, and 12 kingdoms, and eventually you get back to where there are a hundred kingdoms — petty kingdoms — and that’s the era we’re talking about here.”
Sounds good! Sucks we have to wait likely years for it to be released. I'll probably go rewatch the entire GoT to hype myself up for this a few months before it comes out.

Reactions: ecemleafs

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Sounds good! Sucks we have to wait likely years for it to be released. I'll probably go rewatch the entire GoT to hype myself up for this a few months before it comes out.
Says they are already filming so ud think it would be out by the end of 2020 the latest.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Says they are already filming so ud think it would be out by the end of 2020 the latest.
Hopefully you're right, but that would be too good to be true haha. I'm sure everything will get delayed at some point. If it comes out in 2020 i'd be shocked.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but truth be told I think I'd be far more interested in seeing a different segment of the world versus any prequel or sequel in Westeros or western Essos.

Something set in Sothoryos might be cool, say a captured Westerosi sold into slavery down there and the whole thing is a fish out of water scenario, or maybe a colonization/conquering expedition sent down there by one of the known powers. Just a tangible enough of a connection that not everything is alien, but potential for an entirely fresh take. And each new season the opening credits could show more and more of the suddenly known world.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
i like it.

a prequal about roberts rebellion would just be boring. we already know everything about it , it would just be same quality as the recent season 6 and 7.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
10,000 years in past is absurd to be honest

Think of where mankind was 10,000 years ago in our development

I don't see how you can build a credible series in what should essentially be cave people era

They should have just made prequel series about the mad kings descent into madness and how he kicked off Robert's Rebellion , etc

This is not Earth though soo

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Game of Thrones prequel pilot ordered by HBO: Details...

HBO has officially greenlit a follow-up pilot to its acclaimed international hit Game of Thrones and it sounds just as massively ambitious as the original series.

The network has ordered a prequel drama from writer Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service, X-Men: First Class, Kick-Ass) and author George R.R. Martin. The network has released an official description of the show’s storyline, and it’s another tale spread across multiple locations and clans: Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend … it’s not the story we think we know.”

According to Martin’s books, the Age of Heroes began 10,000 years before the events in GoT. Some of the major names which could be characters in the new show include Bran the Builder (who founded House Stark, and oversaw construction of The Wall and Winterfell) and Lann the Clever (who founded House Lannister). The era led into the Long Night — a winter that lasted a generation — and the greatest war against the white walkers. Then again, that’s what we think we know, and the logline for the new show says this is “not the story we think we know.”
Your link is broken.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but truth be told I think I'd be far more interested in seeing a different segment of the world versus any prequel or sequel in Westeros or western Essos.

Something set in Sothoryos might be cool, say a captured Westerosi sold into slavery down there and the whole thing is a fish out of water scenario, or maybe a colonization/conquering expedition sent down there by one of the known powers. Just a tangible enough of a connection that not everything is alien, but potential for an entirely fresh take. And each new season the opening credits could show more and more of the suddenly known world.
I agree with you. However, I do like the idea of going to a time of petty kingdoms before the lands we know turned into something worth everyone grappling over.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I agree with you. However, I do like the idea of going to a time of petty kingdoms before the lands we know turned into something worth everyone grappling over.
i also like the idea of having it so far back with so many different people and families, yet we do have some legendary families and names that we will know.

Reactions: glovesave_35

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

the valyrians freehold from its peak, leading into the doom would be very interesting. only issue would be that the valyrians speak valyrian and this universe already introduced us to characters speaking that language albeit in small segments. would they speak english if a show was entirely based on valyria?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad