Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
ghfnUG.gif

vs

InbornOldFallowdeer-size_restricted.gif

Pittsburgh Penguins (41-18-10, third in the Metropolitan)
vs.
Colorado Avalanche (48-14-6, first in the Central)

Denver; Saturday, 3 p.m. EDT

BOTTOM LINE:
Nazem Kadri leads Colorado into a matchup against Pittsburgh. He currently ranks eighth in the league with 83 points, scoring 26 goals and recording 57 assists.

The Avalanche are 27-4-3 on their home ice.

The Penguins have gone 22-8-5 away from home.

The teams meet Saturday for the first time this season.

TOP PERFORMERS:
Kadri leads the Avalanche with 83 points, scoring 26 goals and collecting 57 assists. Mikko Rantanen has seven goals and six assists over the last 10 games for Colorado.

Jake Guentzel leads the Penguins with 32 goals and has 66 points. Evgeni Malkin has seven goals over the last 10 games for Pittsburgh.

LAST 10 GAMES:
Avalanche: 7-2-1, averaging 2.9 goals, 4.9 assists, 4.1 penalties and 9.9 penalty minutes while giving up 1.7 goals per game with a .946 save percentage.

Penguins: 6-3-1, averaging 3.7 goals, 6.6 assists, 3.2 penalties and 6.6 penalty minutes while giving up 2.5 goals per game with a .916 save percentage.

crosbymove.gif

pens1.jpg

pens2.jpg

coal-harbour-sunrise.gif

pens3.jpg

pens4.jpg

a4d2237caf8d09d8e16a24d9964159f6.gif

cut.jpg

Stats provided by TSN.ca and ESPEN.com, if they are wrong I do not care.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I don't want Mac to be injured but I'm fine with him being out when the Pens have to play the Avs. Should be an interesting test nonetheless.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
An afternoon game against the best team in the league, what could go wrong? But but but the Pens are just tired.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I didn’t realize our save % had fallen that much recently….916% save % is merely average…Colorado is getting much better goaltending…yikes

i predicted a loss against Minn I know, but I’m doubly predicting a loss today lol…afternoon game, no practice to test the ice and boards in a venue they haven’t played in in two years, Avs tremendous home record, altitude etc…Pens will start off slow and be behind….hopefully they can split wins on Tuesday….I’m expecting Jarry to play, no Zucker, GCR will likely remain with probably Heinen being reunited on L2 and Zohorna back in lol…since Kuemper didn’t play Thursday night, he’s probably starting…

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Advanced stats matchup​

pitcol.JPG

—The red on the Penguins’ side highlights their biggest flaw— they actually generate more even-strength scoring chances than the Avalanche, but finish on much fewer of them.

—The Penguins’ biggest advantage on paper over the Avalanche is their penalty kill. At over 85% efficiency, Pittsburgh’s PK ranks second only to Carolina’s. Colorado’s is all the way down at 18th in the NHL at under 79%.

—The Avalanche are one of the best 5v5 teams in the NHL, but the Penguins boast the 10th-highest 5v5 producer in the league— so we might as well call this Saturday matchup the Avalanche vs. Jake Guentzel.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Advanced stats matchup​

pitcol.JPG

—The red on the Penguins’ side highlights their biggest flaw— they actually generate more even-strength scoring chances than the Avalanche, but finish on much fewer of them.

—The Penguins’ biggest advantage on paper over the Avalanche is their penalty kill. At over 85% efficiency, Pittsburgh’s PK ranks second only to Carolina’s. Colorado’s is all the way down at 18th in the NHL at under 79%.

—The Avalanche are one of the best 5v5 teams in the NHL, but the Penguins boast the 10th-highest 5v5 producer in the league— so we might as well call this Saturday matchup the Avalanche vs. Jake Guentzel.
I listed a bunch of team stats in the off-day thread. Not sure how JFresh arrives at 26th finishing but w/e.

Reactions: Andy99

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Don't forget the Av's secret weapon: Jack M.F. Johnson.

He'll be out there hitting, blocking shots, clearing the crease of any Pens players who dare approach the net (if any of them do), and some Pittsburgh fans will be saying "I wish WE had a defenseman who could do stuff like that!"

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm anxiously looking forward to the Jack Johnson tribute video when he returns to Pittsburgh for next week's game.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

He'll be out there hitting, blocking shots, clearing the crease of any Pens players who dare approach the net (if any of them do), and some Pittsburgh fans will be saying "I wish WE had a defenseman who could do stuff like that!"

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm anxiously looking forward to the Jack Johnson tribute video when he returns to Pittsburgh for next week's game.
Can just put an anchor at center ice instead of a video. He'll get the message.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

If we had anyone anymore who could actually deke someone out of his skates and finish like Geno of younger days, JJ would be shown up for the embarrassment he is…but he’s fine on the Avs because they have so many gifted scorers lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad