GDT: GAME LXVII: Avs @ Canucks: 10PM (MT)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Connauton earned another game imo.

He wasn’t amazing, or anything, but I thought he was alright.

Cole really struggled, but I liked EJ for the most part. With Makar our he was jumping up in the play a lot more than usual.

Yeah I liked him better than Barbs.

I think we're starting to see the cracks of removing 20 minutes of Makar from the lineup.

EJ is doing ok, Cole is over matched, Graves is much more of a focus on his pair.

This is why I complained the most about them not adding D at the TDL.

I think they need to give Timmins a shot. Not because I don't think hed make mistakes, but because hes the only one we have who will be able to do things that potentially outweigh those mistakes.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'm happy about the effort, but man we are definitely seeing the impact of the injuries. All the chances we generate, we miss finishers like Rantanen, Burakovsky and Kadri, three guys who have the skills that their replacements do not have, FINISH CHANCES. If that was Kadri instead of Nieto, thats a goal instead of missing wide. If it was Rantanen instead of Jost, those missed shots because Jost can't get separation turn into goals.

Am I worried? Not really, we showed the effort, we were not outplayed. But damn could we use some reinforcements.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah I liked him better than Barbs.

I think we're starting to see the cracks of removing 20 minutes of Makar from the lineup.

EJ is doing ok, Cole is over matched, Graves is much more of a focus on his pair.

This is why I complained the most about them not adding D at the TDL.

I think they need to give Timmins a shot. Not because I don't think hed make mistakes, but because hes the only one we have who will be able to do things that potentially outweigh those mistakes.

Yeah, everyone is being asked to do too much with Makar out. Cale’s been at 22-25 minutes a night pretty regularly for the past month, or two.

Girard is really the only other defenceman who should be playing big minutes.

I thought the Avs blue line was deeper than it actually is. Mostly because I felt Timmins would actually be an option as a late-season call-up. But, obviously the Avs want him to stay in the AHL this year.

That leaves Barbs and Connauton as the depth pieces, which is less than ideal.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm happy about the effort, but man we are definitely seeing the impact of the injuries. All the chances we generate, we miss finishers like Rantanen, Burakovsky and Kadri, three guys who have the skills that their replacements do not have, FINISH CHANCES. If that was Kadri instead of Nieto, thats a goal instead of missing wide. If it was Rantanen instead of Jost, those missed shots because Jost can't get separation turn into goals.

Am I worried? Not really, we showed the effort, we were not outplayed. But damn could we use some reinforcements.

Yeah a lot of these guys are third liners because they can't finish consistently. Its awesome when they are actually manning roles they can handle, but infuriating in this situation.

Jost, Don, Compher, Neato, etc.

Nuke can finish, but hes also expected to contribute responsibly by making another line trust worthy.

Kadri looking close is a damn god send. You can have a third wheel on the top line, but get Kadri and Nuke together on a second line and then another third wheel things will change a lot. Instead of having a 2nd line made up of three complimentary forward who can't finish their way out of a wet paper bag.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Got back last eve with 23 secs in the game. Saw score. W/o looking at the thread wondered how many were ready to commit Seppuku? Is Francouz the worst net minder ever and needs to be traded to the expansion team on Mars. We need Gru, nay, where’s Craig Anderson, no.. Budaj to save us? Jost is the root of all evil (did see he was a -3 but so were several). Landy needs to sent out for glue. MacK is a trainwreck. Bednar sux (my line). Old Lauren was better. Without reading, how close am I? Bathwater and baby in the same sentence close? Doomsday? Corona beer, er, virus infecting everything? Will read the thread and weep, or laugh, I guess…

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
All the other injuries were manageable for a while when you can still put Mack, Landy, Nuke out there. Your 1D goes down in addition and you’re screwed. Hope we get some bodies back soon

Useful to see Graves’ ability without Makar again for evaluation purposes though

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Got back last eve with 23 secs in the game. Saw score. W/o looking at the thread wondered how many were ready to commit Seppuku? Is Francouz the worst net minder ever and needs to be traded to the expansion team on Mars. We need Gru, nay, where’s Craig Anderson, no.. Budaj to save us? Jost is the root of all evil (did see he was a -3 but so were several). Landy needs to sent out for glue. MacK is a trainwreck. Bednar sux (my line). Old Lauren was better. Without reading, how close am I? Bathwater and baby in the same sentence close? Doomsday? Corona beer, er, virus infecting everything? Will read the thread and weep, or laugh, I guess…

I'll never understand people throwing shade on hyperbole in GDTs.

It's a group of people drunk and emotional. Which is part of the fun lol.

It's also cathartic when others share your frustrations. Usually the next day there is plenty of more cerebral discussion.

My amazement come more from people not seeing issues while we're winning, and then reality only taking hold when losses happen. It's like allowing yourself to be backhanded in slowmo.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs are one of the best teams in the league. It doesn't matter that much if they don't win the division. If they can't beat Dallas then they were never going on a cup run anyway.

The anxiety level here is hilarious.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Cole really struggled, but I liked EJ for the most part. With Makar out he was jumping up in the play a lot more than usual.

EJ has always been good in that aspect, so he generally looks better when he's paired with a defensive stay at home player. He's a huge body who can skate with the puck. The problem is generally that he's not a player who can walk the line or make good passes/decisions in the offensive zone (see that backhanded pass to NO ONE). He can keep it in the zone and do very little with it himself.

I can't think of a player who'd be a great partner for EJ on our team except future Byram and Timmins.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Hard to believe that so many in here are actually upset that we lost a hockey game, on the road, against a pretty good and pretty desperate team with THAT roster. That' s just nuts!

DAL just lost their 2nd straight without even scoring a goal. Their fans should be upset, us on the other hand - we should be over the moon that we are still second in the West with all the injuries we had (and still have). But noooo, that's not us, right?

Un-freaking-believable.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Cole really struggled, but I liked EJ for the most part. With Makar out he was jumping up in the play a lot more than usual.
I ragged on him before the game but I thought he was fine other than losing the puck a few times in his end. He wasnt the worse D last night thats for sure.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I ragged on him before the game but I thought he was fine other than losing the puck a few times in his end. He wasnt the worse D last night thats for sure.

I can kinda see why he's an AHL guy despite some obvious skill and size--his stride seems decent enough but his reaction time is slllllooooooooooowwwww. There were times I swear he was just standing there while the puck went past him in the defensive zone.

That said, I agree--he should get one more game. Just don't put him on the ice same time as Graves.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yes because the only way to spend your cap space if in negative assets.

There's only so many UFAs out there on the market that don't turn out to be negative assets in the long run. And if he starts overbidding because of his cap space, those players turn to negative assets.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's only so many UFAs out there on the market that don't turn out to be negative assets in the long run. And if he starts overbidding because of his cap space, those players turn to negative assets.

Forget UFA's, I'm talking about TRADES at the deadline or earlier in the season to help the team for THIS PLAYOFF RUN. Maximising the cap space to HELP THE TEAM NOW instead of LOSING THE CAP SPACE INTO KROENKE'S POCKETS and PLAYING AHLERS.

Is it that hard to understand?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Forget UFA's, I'm talking about TRADES at the deadline or earlier in the season to help the team for THIS PLAYOFF RUN. Maximising the cap space to HELP THE TEAM NOW instead of LOSING THE CAP SPACE INTO KROENKE'S POCKETS and PLAYING AHLERS.

Trades cost team assets (prospects and picks). Thats not "free" for just cap space. There's not alot of players that were avaliable (that are better than what we have) for just cap space.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He made an offer to an UFA who refused it (and probably didn't even consider it). That counts to you as icing the best team possible for the playoffs?

Yes, because it shows very clearly that the Avs are willing to spend to that cap for players like Panarin.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yes, we've done this already brother. It's like throwing eggs at a brick wall.

Reactions: Balthazar

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I don’t blame Sakic for one of the worst injury seasons in the history of the franchise.

The Avs would be just fine right now if Makar were healthy. Kadri, Rantanen, Calvert, and Grubauer are all practicing, and I would guess will be back within a week, or so.

The injury situation surrounding Makar and Burakovsky is a complete mystery, but hopefully they’ll be on the ice soon.

The Avs are still trending towards being just fine. The key right now is Makar. If we find out he’s not coming back for a while, then it’s time to panic.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

One day people will realize it takes two to tango.

Reactions: Byzantium

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

One day people will realize it takes being willing to pay the price in order to get what you want.

I have a bunch of trades at the TDL to point to, what do you guys have?

I assume they just didn't want to play with Sakic?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

You mean no team was willing to trade with us?

Avs fans: We're sooooo lucky to have Mackinnon on the best contract in the NHL! He makes half of what he should make!

Also Avs fans: We didn't spend 6M this year? No big deal. Hope Kroenke uses it to upgrade his yatch.

That's one cup contending year where we didn't take advantage of Mack's contract. We had 4, now we have 3 shots left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad