GDT: GAME LXVII: Avs @ Canucks: 10PM (MT)

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Both Francouz and the defense had some really rough moments.

They really sent Kaut, who was playing well, down for contractual reasons and then gave his replacement less than four minutes of ice time when they’re already struggling up front and hurting for depth. Embarrassing.

Yeah. Like, the lineup is what it is with the injuries but Sakic decided to just make it worse because asset management. Bednar manages TOI the same way whether it's October or April and benches players left and right, which is whatever, but they don't have either kind of luxury in this situation.

Just burn the year, my god. First place in the division is worth it. I'm not going to be on Sakic's side on this stuff until he starts proving he wants the team to win hockey games now, not just sometime in the vague future.

Reactions: Avs_19

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not really. Hughes might not have shown it tonight but hes very much just as fast as Cale. Passes as well as Cale. Seriously, the only thing hes not as good or better than Cale in his shot and hes not nearly as physical. Thats it.
Disagree Hughes is not on the same skating level as Makar. Makar is filthy. Hughes is good. No doubt, but Makar is just better. Hughes doesn't make plays like Makar. I've watched both extensively this year out of curiosity and really I'm not seeing the wow plays out of Hughes that I see it if Makar. The one thing I say Hughes has over Makar is the calmness in his own end. He can get out of trouble easier, outside that I'd say every other category goes to Makar right now.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eh, I kinda penciled this one in as an automatic loss. Frustrating but this is also the team's first regulation loss in 9 games. I'll take that any day, especially with them b

Kinda surprised Bednar spoke on Cole and wasn't kind. But what can ya do, he was horrible tonight. Can't be losing puck battles and making bad reads all over the place.

Personally I'd probably put Z back in and take Barbs out. Connauton wasn't great but decent enough to warrant another look.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah. Like, the lineup is what it is with the injuries but Sakic decided to just make it worse because asset management. Bednar manages TOI the same way whether it's October or April and benches players left and right, which is whatever, but they don't have either kind of luxury in this situation.

Just burn the year, my god. First place in the division is worth it. I'm not going to be on Sakic's side on this stuff until he starts proving he wants the team to win hockey games now, not just sometime in the vague future.

I'd like to think this was Bednar's not so subtle way of telling Sakic that but probably not.

At least Bednar kept it consistent and benched Cole. He was -3, directly responsible for at least one goal against, and just wasn't good overall. Basically the same situation as Zadorov last game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Eh, they’re playing the Canucks, it’s natural to talk about it.

You think Hughes is better, I take it?
Already talked about this in the past, don't feel like rehashing it here. The spark-note edition is that Hughes is better in the offensive zone and creating plays out of nothing off the cycle. Makar is better at creating offence outside of the offensive zone, considering his ability to rush up the ice and his brilliant passing ability. Hughes is better at making plays for teammates, Makar is better at making individual plays for himself. Because of his ability of making plays happen outside of just the offensive zone, I don't mind concluding that Makar is better, but I suggest that it is close. The problem is that Av fans the entire summer kept stating to the entire board about how million kilometres better Makar was to Hughes and now it's biting HFAvs back in the arse - I think it is deserved though. Gotta stay 'umble.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I'd like to think this was Bednar's not so subtle way of telling Sakic that but probably not.

At least Bednar kept it consistent and benched Cole. He was -3, directly responsible for at least one goal against, and just wasn't good overall. Basically the same situation as Zadorov last game.

Yeah I don't have much of a problem with Bednar benching guys that deserve it (especially someone like Cole, who should get benched every other game in a true merit-based system). It's just a tough time to do that when Sakic is stuck on making business decisions. They don't have the bodies right now. So many guys are making mistakes because they're being asked to do way more than they're capable of.

None of this was necessary. It all goes back to Sakic's deadline. It's more than just not wanting to go for it; he could've shored up depth and simply chose not to, knowing how injured the team is.

Reactions: avspatti and Avs_19

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Already talked about this in the past, don't feel like rehashing it here. The spark-note edition is that Hughes is better in the offensive zone and creating plays out of nothing off the cycle. Makar is better at creating offence outside of the offensive zone, considering his ability to rush up the ice and his brilliant passing ability. Hughes is better at making plays for teammates, Makar is better at making individual plays for himself. Because of his ability of making plays happen outside of just the offensive zone, I don't mind concluding that Makar is better, but I suggest that it is close. The problem is that Av fans the entire summer kept stating to the entire board about how million kilometres better Makar was to Hughes and now it's biting HFAvs back in the arse - I think it is deserved though. Gotta stay 'umble.

Alright, I can appreciate that.

I didn’t mean to come off as wild homer, just that I’m happy we have Makar.

Canucks fans probably have no interest in trading Hughes for anyone.

Really for me, in my viewings of the two. I see a lot more special plays out of Makar. Hughes is more polished right now, and maybe always will be. Hard to say how that will go. But, Makar is a rare human.

Also... I hate that I became the living embodiment of what @henchman24 thought this GDT would become.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I’m honestly shocked you believe that, in terms of the skating.

Makar skates like MacKinnon. From what I’ve seen from Hughes, he does not.

Hughes does some things better than Makar, but skating is not one of them.

I never said Hughes was a better skater I said Hughes skates as well as Cale. Just because a guy doesnt look like hes chugging the way Nate does doesnt mean hes not as fast. See Jack Eichel. Straight line Cale might be faster but laterally Hughes is better. So overall Hughes skates as well as Cale. Facts

Reactions: missionAvs

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Really for me, in my viewings of the two. I see a lot more special plays out of Makar. Hughes is more polished right now, and maybe always will be. Hard to say how that will go. But, Makar is a rare human.
You may not know this, but Hughes is a year younger and actually has less development over Makar. If you think Hughes polished now, he's just going to be even more once he grows into an adult body.

Reactions: klozge

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I never said Hughes was a better skater I said Hughes skates as well as Cale. Just because a guy doesnt look like hes chugging the way Nate does doesnt mean hes not as fast. See Jack Eichel. Straight line Cale might be faster but laterally Hughes is better. So overall Hughes skates as well as Cale. Facts

Sorry, but no.

The difference in straight line speed is really significant, between the two. The burst is really not close, honestly.

And does Hughes juke people out like their playing on a football field? Makar skates beautifully laterally.

I’ve watched plenty of Hughes this year, he doesn’t move as explosively as Cale. Plain and simple.

In that area of the game, edge Makar.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You may not know this, but Hughes is a year younger and actually has less development over Makar. If you think Hughes polished now, he's just going to be even more once he grows into an adult body.

I’m aware.

Makar is the more raw player though, with far greater physical tools, which gives more room for improvement imo.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sorry, but no.

The difference in straight line speed is really significant, between the two. The burst is really not close, honestly.

And does Hughes juke people out like their playing on a football field? Makar skates beautifully laterally.

I’ve watched plenty of Hughes this year, he doesn’t move as explosively as Cale. Plain and simple.

In that area of the game, edge Makar.
Skating is alot more than just going fast lol. If all that mattered was speed than Konstantin Koltsov would have destroyed. Hughes is as good a skater as Cale. Plain and simple.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Skating is alot more than just going fast lol. If all that mattered was speed than Konstantin Koltsov would have destroyed. Hughes is as good a skater as Cale. Plain and simple.

If you think that Makar is just a straight line burner then you haven’t been watching the games.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You know I watch every game. I also watch alot of Hughes. I dont know why there is any controversy over this. I think Cale is the better player but skating wise they are neck and neck.

You’re right. I do know and shouldn’t have said that.

I’m sorry.

I don’t want to continue arguing with a fellow Avs diehard.

End on a handshake?
upload_2020-3-7_0-5-51.gif

Reactions: The Kingslayer

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Really glad Bedsy puts his personal boomer agenda ahead of the team again. That Zadorov kid really needed to be taught a lesson! WORTH IT!!

Surely the defense could be improved by removing Zadorov, that's never backfired before RIGHT??? What we already did that a bunch of tiems and it never works?? Well try it again cause if something doesn't work that obviously means you should keep doing it!!! Just gotta BELIEVE harder!

And while we're at it, let's keep playing Donskoi and Compher 20 minutes a night ahead of Nichushkin in the lineup cause they've been making so much happen out there. Well deserved!

The first guy dumb enough to bite on Girard's spin move in 10 games, too bad he still can't make an accurate 3 foot pass. Landy had to reach for it and couldn't muster up any power or accuracy on the shot. Courtesy of the nuck's announcers.

Gave up a breakaway cause of his slow ass reaction speed and almost gave up another one if the nucks player didn't fumble the puck away with no one around him.

EJ was pretty good again, glad Girard got moved off his pair and he doesn't have to babysit anymore.

Not really. Hughes might not have shown it tonight but hes very much just as fast as Cale.
:laugh: It doesn't even take having an eye for talent to see that's obviously not the case. Also lol at you blaming Mackinnon before Bednar.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
The injuries are catching up to the Avs. I said it before its easier to deal with big injuries early in the season. Its alot different when you are facing desperate teams and the Nucks are a desperate team. The Avs were very bad defensively tonight and Francouz could not help them. Lets also not forget that the Avs had a PP they pissed away yet again. Someone needs to explain to me why Nuke isnt on PP1,
And this is why the Avs can be a damn frustrating team to like; because they so often lose games that are their's to win thru boneheaded turnovers, comical defensive zone play, ill-timed soft goals against, and inability to cash in on golden scoring chances at pivotal times in games where one more goal would be the final dagger in the hearts of their opponents. It's one thing getting outplayed and losing, or running into a hot goalie who stones you. But outplaying your opposition and losing because you continually shoot yourselves in the foot gets really tiring to watch sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This tweet still bugs me. The Avs miss two open nets and numerous grade A scoring chances and it’s deemed a shutdown performance.

And what potent offence did they face? Nate MacKinnon and his band of AHL’ers?

Can’t wait for this team to get healthy.

Reactions: Kaizer

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I can't say this enough:

Donskoi has been complete and utter dogshit lately. Since January, he has 2 goals, 2 assists in 22 games while playing 16-18 minutes a night. This guy needs to sit.
In fact, Donskoi has looked even more inept than Jost virtually every single game for weeks now. Jost is terrible, but at least he gets a couple of point blank shots most nights--shooting it into the opposing netminders chest, or missing the net by 5 feet. Donskoi--he does absolutely nothing anymore but lose the puck 2 seconds after he touches it. Dude is really struggling to do ANYTHING right nowadays. He's simply atrocious.

Reactions: ibengals

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Really glad Bedsy puts his personal boomer agenda ahead of the team again. That Zadorov kid really needed to be taught a lesson! WORTH IT!!

Surely the defense could be improved by removing Zadorov, that's never backfired before RIGHT??? What we already did that a bunch of tiems and it never works?? Well try it again cause if something doesn't work that obviously means you should keep doing it!!! Just gotta BELIEVE harder!

And while we're at it, let's keep playing Donskoi and Compher 20 minutes a night ahead of Nichushkin in the lineup cause they've been making so much happen out there. Well deserved!

The first guy dumb enough to bite on Girard's spin move in 10 games, too bad he still can't make an accurate 3 foot pass. Landy had to reach for it and couldn't muster up any power or accuracy on the shot. Courtesy of the nuck's announcers.

Gave up a breakaway cause of his slow ass reaction speed and almost gave up another one if the nucks player didn't fumble the puck away with no one around him.

EJ was pretty good again, glad Girard got moved off his pair and he doesn't have to babysit anymore.

:laugh: It doesn't even take having an eye for talent to see that's obviously not the case. Also lol at you blaming Mackinnon before Bednar.

What did I blame Mackinnon for other than his low IQ at crunch time? I thought he had a good game besides that empty net goal against.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad