GDT: Game LXI: Avs @ Hawks - Perfect Strangers meet WITH EVERYTHING ON THE LINE!!!

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
That was a good penalty to take by Johnson, he had to go hard on Toews there. If Girard missed the block on that pass, Toews had a tap in.

Z saved a goal in the last minute.

nice effort, didn't quit!

Reactions: MacBradley

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs didn't make it easy but a win is a win.

Great game for that new Landeskog-Soderberg-Compher line.

Props to Nemeth as well. He made really good plays on both the game winner and insurance goal.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
- Varlamov was awesome tonight. Where the hell was this guy, and why does Varly have to be so inconsistent. If this Varlamov had shown up between December - February 1st, the Avs would be competing for the division title right now.

- The defense was bad. When I say "bad", I mean Girard, Zadorov, and Barrie, getting much worse in that order. For the most part I was ok with G but he had a few stupid plays. He skated himself into trouble completely unnecessarily once, and then forced a couple of passes. Z followed up a good game vs. Winnipeg with a bad game tonight. Just not a very bright player. Took himself out of the play a few times hunting hits, didn't move his feet. Barrie was bad at....well, nearly everything. On the flip side Nemeth had a beastly game, and it wasn't his offensive acumen -- he was really good along the boards. Graves for the most part kept it safe. EJ was solid. This team badly needs a high end left handed top four defender who isn't an idiot. G is young and has his struggles (and will always be inhibited by his size); Z is exactly what they need some games and the #1 problem other games; Cole when healthy is seemingly good for a stupid penalty and stupid turnover (minimum 1) per game as well. They need an upgrade on that side, badly.

- MacK was flying. Keep Rantanen on his line, MacK can't play with Kerfoot and Ghetto. Who could. Kerfoot has some offensive talent (see his pass to Soderberg), but is genuinely a mental midget in the defensive zone. He needs to be replaced, and under no condition should he be re-signed. The bad outweighs the good.

- The penalties in the 3rd were stupid...but I don't blame them. They all watched Kane absolutely maul Jost down to the ice. If you set the tone that that is ok -- basically the playoff hockey rulebook at its finest, where battles like that are allowed to carry on everywhere -- then you have to let everything else go. That includes the retaliatory slash, the horsecollar, and especially the weak little crosscheck to Toews in front of the net from EJ. Defensmen in front of the crease honestly do that dozens of times per game. You can't open up the playoff rulebook for Kane and then call everything down to the letter after that. Ridiculous.

- Landeskog and Compher were beasts. More heart and soul, meat and potatoes beasts who can actually track their defensive assignments (with some exceptions for Compher), turn pucks over, and do their damn jobs, please. No more butter-soft Sven Andrighetto's and Alexander Kerfoot's, please. Jost also needs to figure his **** out on the puck, he was far too weak on it once again tonight.

- Oh, and Soda is an incredible player who can make it work with pretty much anyone. Incredible player. Works his butt off, nearly always makes the right play even though he isn't the most talented. They will need a replacement for when he ages / leaves. He's a key cog.

Last edited:

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
He is simply trash. I wouldn't pay a dollar over 5mil to him.
I’d add our 1st (Top-10 Protected) to Barrie to get someone like Huberdeau. Barrie is a complimentary piece, at best a #3, if we can get a young top-6 player for him, I’d do it in a second!

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Kerfoot: soft, poor defensively, relatively slow, makes a good pass once in awhile

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Man I have to watch Jake Gardiner whenever I watch the Leafs and I have to watch Barrie when I watch the Avs, it's frustrating.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Man I have to watch Jake Gardiner whenever I watch the Leafs and I have to watch Barrie when I watch the Avs, it's frustrating.

Next season you'll get to watch Gardiner on the Avs but no Barrie. Maybe.......

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
Moser is beyond brutal. I don't remember McNabb being this bad in a while either, seems like Moser brings it out in him lol
Moser is the biggest f*** there is. I can't stand when he says penalty on the other team and then it ends up being on the avs. Like today he said "Penalty coming up on the avs, no Chicago, no it's on the avs" Like holy shit what a f*** job he is at announcing. The dude is grade A bad. I'm talking Reto Berra with no defense bad. Either bring back Haynes or promote Connor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad